PDA

View Full Version : Time for a Roll Call?

punkncat
10-23-2007, 09:41 AM
I think its time to slim down and find out who is still around. We have tons of members with a great deal of good usernames floating unused and unseen for years.

I propose that we issue a roll call and give a time frame to reply. Anyone that doesn't is deleted from the members list and we start "fresh". Couldn't hurt to clear the database of a bunch of unused login info either.....

Empyreal Rogue
10-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I think that'd be a neat idea but I doubt the admins would want to sift through all those thousands of unused usernames.

And what about the people overseas without computer access? :\

robnix
10-23-2007, 10:08 AM
I think its time to slim down and find out who is still around. We have tons of members with a great deal of good usernames floating unused and unseen for years.

I propose that we issue a roll call and give a time frame to reply. Anyone that doesn't is deleted from the members list and we start "fresh". Couldn't hurt to clear the database of a bunch of unused login info either.....

I've seen quite a few people that haven't logged in for a long time show up here lately.

Hexis
10-23-2007, 10:14 AM
What's the point really? Save a few meg in a database? How much space do you think a user takes up?

SN toter
10-23-2007, 10:41 AM
I've seen quite a few people that haven't logged in for a long time show up here lately.

Ditto, I'm one ;)

Freebird
10-23-2007, 01:00 PM
How much space do you think a user takes up?

especially if hes not active
no posts or PM traffic from them, no pictures posted or anything like that

Zone Drifter
10-23-2007, 01:50 PM
I say do it. If someone comes back from the past and compains about starting at a low post count, whatever. It's just a post count. They can always just re-sign in with their old or new name.

Skywalker
10-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Delete all the usernames with 0 posts. There's thousands of 'em

robnix
10-23-2007, 03:01 PM
I say do it. If someone comes back from the past and compains about starting at a low post count, whatever. It's just a post count. They can always just re-sign in with their old or new name.

It's not about post count. Nick's identify people online to one another. Here's a scenario for you:

You build up a pages and pages of good feedback, but because you go into the military, you're unable to post for months and months. Your account gets deleted, but your feedback thread and all your posts still exist. Some vulture comes along, notices there no account for that nick, and uses it to scam people out of money.

Freebird
10-23-2007, 03:16 PM
and didnt they just upgrade database?

DaFin
10-23-2007, 03:38 PM
I voted to just leave it alone.

The people that where here long ago deserve their just desserts.

But just bump off who ever has "Old School", I want it :D

Spider-TW
10-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Delete all the usernames with 0 posts. There's thousands of 'em
You can't have much feedback with 0 posts either.

Having feedback in the BST should give them a break though. Beyond that, it would be nice to keep people that have posted within the last two years, joined in the last year, or have over some hundreds of posts (hundred per year of membership). That should keep a lot, but there's plenty to weed out.

Let's vote on a filter :p (jk)

ThePixelGuru
10-23-2007, 05:32 PM
It's not about post count. Nick's identify people online to one another. Here's a scenario for you:

You build up a pages and pages of good feedback, but because you go into the military, you're unable to post for months and months. Your account gets deleted, but your feedback thread and all your posts still exist. Some vulture comes along, notices there no account for that nick, and uses it to scam people out of money.
...And you get blamed for it when you get back.

What's the point of doing this, anyway? I see a number of reasons not to, and the only reason to do it is to save a few MB of storage space. Let the admins decide, anyway, that's why they're running the board and not us.

Chaos_Theory!
10-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Im still around although i cant use my old name for some reason. I can log in but i cant post or anything. I have no idea what to do

Adrenaline Junkie

mclaggan123
10-23-2007, 06:51 PM
im in the military so sometimes i do go months without posting because of deployments. when im home i look at these forums 2 or 3 times a day. i think its up to the mods but this could hurt some people who have the same situation i do. thank you.

Hexis
10-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Can anyone provide a real benefit to culling the user database in some way? It seams the negatives far outweigh the benefits to an action like this.

Automagsam
10-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Leave it alone, alot of these people return after a while, and we also don't want any imposters showing up.