PDA

View Full Version : Automag & Co2 Questions..Please Read

Blitzen
10-23-2007, 06:20 PM
I am currently using a classic valved Automag, and I must say that I am in love. Since I use co2 I got the classic valve knowing that it is the only valve that can handle co2. However most people always seem to say to get more upgrades to protect against liquid co2 from entering the valve. My questions here today have to do with these upgrades.

The first upgrade I hear about people saying to get is a siphon tube co2 tank. I dont have any problem with this, as siphon tube co2 tanks are not that expensive. However what worries me is that they have to be fitted/adjusted to match your ASA. Seeing as I wouldn't know how to do this where could I ship the tank to get it done?

The second upgrade that I hear to get is a regulator, more specifically a Palmers Stabilizer. I know that Palmer's is number one in holding back liquid co2, yet they are quite expensive. I have another regulator (not on my gun yet) however it was orignally on an electro (and therefore was mainly meant to be shot with HPA). Would it be worth the time to put this reg on or would it not really hold any co2 back?

Anyways what do you guys recommend? I dont really shot that fast, and I dont really worry about consitency (sp, I know) since this mag is my CQB gun. That being said here are some other questions about co2...

1. How bad are the effects of liquid co2 on the valve? Will a simple rebuild kit fix it or are we talking about super serious damage here?

2. How do I know when co2 is in the valve? How long do you have to wait before it disipates?

Thanks for your help....your feedback determines my christmas list (to a point... :cool:)

Andrewliu6294
10-23-2007, 08:23 PM
liquid wont do anything to the classic valve but freeze it for a couple minutes. trust me, i've done it multiple times just railing on the trigger. I swear, there are ways you can get the stock heavy trigger pull to 11bps. its crazy.

you'll know, it'll be shooting snow, and will have bolt stick.

doc_Zox
10-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Find a used sideline stabilizer for ~50 bucks
or put a new one on your Santa list
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox/PB/tacmag05.jpg

Classic Mags have survived Liquid CO2 for years on end.
Those old school long loops of braided airline wrapped around the powerfeed were one solution.

bleachit
10-23-2007, 09:09 PM
2. How do I know when co2 is in the valve? How long do you have to wait before it disipates?

Thanks for your help....your feedback determines my christmas list (to a point... :cool:)

shot drop off, when it gets bad the trigger may not reset.. and your valve will have lots of condensation on it.

I had a palmers stab on my mag, tried expansion chamber and siphon tank. I personally believe that the palmers is the most effective of the solutions that I tried.

Coralis
10-23-2007, 09:20 PM
If you are happy with the way the gun shoots now why worry about spending alot of money on upgrades that you probably wont notice any difference in performance. BTW one of the cheapest ways around the whole liquid CO2 was to run your mag on a remote line.

Smoothice
10-23-2007, 10:02 PM
I am currently using a classic valved Automag, and I must say that I am in love. Since I use co2 I got the classic valve knowing that it is the only valve that can handle co2. However most people always seem to say to get more upgrades to protect against liquid co2 from entering the valve. My questions here today have to do with these upgrades.

The first upgrade I hear about people saying to get is a siphon tube co2 tank. I dont have any problem with this, as siphon tube co2 tanks are not that expensive. However what worries me is that they have to be fitted/adjusted to match your ASA. Seeing as I wouldn't know how to do this where could I ship the tank to get it done?

This is pretty easy. Screw your co2 tank into your asa. Take a black sharpie and draw a line on your co2 tank reg on the top (12 o'clock). Take your tank to a local pb store. Show them the line you drew. They will take the reg off and install the siphon tube so that it is pointing up in line with the black line you drew.

The second upgrade that I hear to get is a regulator, more specifically a Palmers Stabilizer. I know that Palmer's is number one in holding back liquid co2, yet they are quite expensive. I have another regulator (not on my gun yet) however it was orignally on an electro (and therefore was mainly meant to be shot with HPA). Would it be worth the time to put this reg on or would it not really hold any co2 back?

You could also pick up an expansion chamber. They are much cheaper. They just give the co2 more area to expand into a gas in case you do get any liquid in the line.

Anyways what do you guys recommend?

If it ain't broke don't fix it

:cheers:

Madmox
10-23-2007, 10:13 PM
My friends mag was freezing up. I threw my OLD cocker Vert reg on it and now it shoots great. Now that was a cheap fix.

Madmox

Blitzen
10-23-2007, 11:28 PM
So should I put on that BK Reg that I got?

Spider-TW
10-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Anything that gives the CO2 more time out of the bottle and has more surface area for heat transfer will help. A gas through grip is better than the old back bottle adapter straight to the valve. Pulling cold vapor through a siphon tube inside the tank and then through 6 inches of stainless wrapped hose to the valve doesn't provide much of a chance for the CO2 to warm up.

An expansion chamber that you can get your hand around is better than a gas through grip. If you have a CO2 reg on hand, it will work about as well as an expansion chamber; it may need some maintenance eventually. Your mag reg shouldn't need any help with pressure regulation though.

More hose works just as well, if you have a place for them.

turbo chicken
10-24-2007, 11:00 AM
i used an expnasion chamber and anitsiphon for a while with really good results ...

antisiphon is easy ... put the tank into the valve mark the top of the valve (the part facing up) with something .... this way you can orient your antisiphon tube in the same direction. The object it to put the tube at the top of the bottle away from the liquid C02 ... The tube needs to beshort and not the length of the bottle ... most ASA's are slanted downward a little so putting a tube in the back of the tank isn't good ... the length should only be a few inches and pointed to the top of the bottle ...

secretweaponevan
10-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Be VERY, VERY, VERY careful if you install an anti-siphon tube yourself.

I STRONGLY recommend that you have a QUALIFIED airsmith install it for you.

At least 1 person has died from an anti-siphon kit being installed by a person that was not qualified. All it takes is to put on 1 too many drops of loctite for an accident to happen.

http://www.paintballstar.com/pn/modules.php?op=modload&name=PagEd&file=index&topic_id=21&page_id=130

ThePixelGuru
10-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Do you notice that your valve has problems during rapid fire? If not, don't listen to those people. I used my Minimag with a vert bottle and about 2" of hose to the valve for years, no liquid problems at all. If you don't need it, don't get it. Also, anti-siphon tubes don't matter if you're careful not to tip your tank so the liquid sloshes out and into the hose.

And yes, you'll know when it freezes. I've seen frost on the outside of the valve on a nice 85°F day.

Spider-TW
10-24-2007, 02:25 PM
And yes, you'll know when it freezes. I've seen frost on the outside of the valve on a nice 85°F day.
The problem I always had with that was once you got into that condition, it was hard to get the velocity back up. Rubbing the reg like you're trying to get the genie out of the lamp during a tournament game is the pits. :eek:

But like you say, it doesn't matter to some.