PDA

View Full Version : Re: Regulator change out..

jbg00d
10-26-2007, 01:00 AM
There were some guys that were concerned about changing out tank regulators and I thought I'd let them know how it went.

Anyway, I managed to uninstall and reinstall a new dynaflow reg without any problems.
The tank is holding 2000psi as I write this post; yea!

The change out was relatively easy. I thought the factory installed reg would have been much harder to unscrew than it was, but it came right off.

How I did I do it?
I took the gage and the fill nipple off and replaced them with 1/8" pipe plugs in order to have something to hold on to while in the vise. I used 2X4's so it wouldn't damage the old regulator while I unscrewed the tank.

Once the reg. was off, I checked to make sure nothing fell into the tank and also made sure the tank threads were clean.

After I inspected the tank, I then put some blue loctite on the threads of the new regulator, screwed it on hand tight then put it back in the vise and finished it off. I let the loctite dry two days before filling just to be sure it would hold.

The tank is in the garage and is holding 2000psi for the last three hours. We'll see how it looks tomorrow when I get home from work. I'll update you then.

Brian

georgeyew
10-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Great. I am happy to hear that everything went smoothly. When I swapped out my reg, I didn't put anything on the threads.

angrysasquatch
10-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Yep, the DOT just said a year ago (?) that regs no longer needed to be threadsealed. The idea being that the pressure pushing on the reg should cause enough friction to keep you from undoing it unintentionally. Always a good idea to do, though, with all the tank horror stories we've been hearing lately.

RangerX
10-26-2007, 10:34 PM
regarding regulators and tanks. My empire fuel air tank only needs the reg to be put on hand tight with no sealants what so ever. If I ever wanted to change the reg would the same procedure apply?

angrysasquatch
10-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Yes, just MAKE SURE ITS EMPTY. I know empire made some adjustable regs at one point, adjustables can be more tricky to bleed.

jbg00d
10-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Yes, just MAKE SURE ITS EMPTY. I know empire made some adjustable regs at one point, adjustables can be more tricky to bleed.

The dynaflow bleeds itself. Its a great reg for the xvalve. AGD also sells the dynaflow as their own at one point...