PDA

View Full Version : Thotograph's Guide for Taking Better Photos...

Thotograph
10-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Intro

This is a guide to help anyone who wants to take better pictures, I'll be putting an emphasis on shooting pb gear and such, like for bst threads, but much of what I say will carry over into everyday picture taking... I've been thinking about doing this for awhile now but finally found the time to do it. Pm or post any questions... I'll try to explain the photographic terms that I use (as I use them) but do point out if I miss anything that needs more 'splainin... might even do a glossary if I want to get formal with it. We'll have to see how this goes.

Please keep in mind that any camera will do fine as long as you are comfortable using it. I have a Canon Dslr system for my commercial, artistic, and motor-sports photography, but for all of my bst pics and pb pics I've used my little canon sd600 point and shoot out of convenience. I'm not trying to make this sound like a continuous plug for Canon but they are really good, and I work at a photo store so I have had plenty of exposure to Nikons, they aren't bad but I stick to Canon for digital. Anything 5mp and up will be just fine. Having a zoom is nice. The cameras to stay away from are those that don't have any kind of variable focus... basically glorified camera phones that aren't contained within a phone. In other words the $20 impulse buying item cameras.

Lighting

The first topic I'll be discussing is lighting and there's a reason it's first on the list: I tell all of my students, and customers at work this same advice that I will now share with you all... the quality of the light is always going to improve the overall results of your image much more than any camera setting will (besides it being in focus lol). When you think about it, the light is what is making the image, and the camera is capturing that light.

Always always turn off the flash that's on the camera (unless you absolutely have to use it). Try shooting your guns/gear outside with natural light, if you don't want a natural look to the shots then bring out a table cloth or black cloth of some sort to set your stuff down on, or use anything in your surroundings like a wood table, tree, or bench etc. You won't need a flash when you have more light.

So we've already said once that on-camera flash is a bad light-source. This is because it's harsh flat light. Flat meaning it makes things look flat and devoid of depth. Harsh because its a bare flash bulb, and is in no way diffused or rather softened. Having your light-source off axis (not right next to or above the lens like the on-camera flash) also makes for better photos because it will show the depth and dynamics of the scene/subject alot better than flat lighting will. So if you have to shoot inside consider using a lamp or two and have them be to one side or on either side of the subject.

Tripods, Just Say Yes

Anytime you have to shoot in less than ideal lighting a tripod is the absolute best way to make up for not having enough light. In addition to using a tripod, activate the cameras self timer so that you will not introduce blur when you press the shutter release (the take picture button). This still kinda pertains to lighting but I thought I'd give it some extra emphasis. If any of you have seen the quote in my sig on pbn then you know how much I advocate the use of tripods ;)

Taking Pictures Up Close, Macro

If I had a dollar for everytime I've seen a close up picture with the background in focus and the object completely blurred and blown out by the flash :rolleyes:

Macro or close up photography is one of my favorite types of photography, I personally enjoy shooting abstracts, bugs, plants, and flowers; but taking close up pics is also great for BST threads and pb gear because of things like full disclosure of scratches and so you can show off detailed shots of that ultra sweet milling that you payed good money for :D

If you want to shoot pics close up with a point and shoot camera just press the little flower button on the back of your camera (most cameras have this feature, it's called macro mode but the icon is usually something that looks like a tulip). On-camera flash is bad at normal distances but close up it is just awful and you will have the worst results if you use on-camera flash for macro work (yes there are exceptions like ring lites but this is a basic guide and not a guide to macro). So again use plenty of light or use a tripod when doing close up work. Point and shoots tend to be able to focus as close as < 1inch from the subject so don't be afraid to see just how close you can get, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Just make sure you don't scratch your lens kappiiieessh?

For slr shooters (big cameras) the lens determines how close you can focus on a subject. Without going to deep in detail (b/c not alot of slr users need this advice) if you want to focus closer look into a macro lens, close up filters, or extension tubes. Those are the basic ways of getting closer. There's other ways to do it so pm me if you want to learn more about macro with slr camera. (SLR means single lens reflex, you look through the lens by way of a mirror that folds up to take the picture).

Operating the Camera, the Right Way

Be smooth when opertating the camera, press the button almost the same way you shoot a gun. Squeezing it down so as to not introduce blur. Exagerated movement = blur. Pressing the button down halfway allows the camera to autofocus and then pressing all the way through (without releasing) will allow you to determine exactly when the picture takes. I can't tell you how many issues I've resolved by giving this advice at work. Mashing the button and waiting is the main reason why we see things like back focus (the background in focus instead of the subject), when you mash the button you are rushing the camera and it's default is to focus on infinity (a land far far away) when it doesn't see what should be in focus and then KABLAMMO: PBNation :p

Composition

I'm not going to start talking fractions because I don't believe in that crap (I won't say it). All I can say about composition is this... lead the viewers eye around the frame. Think autofocus, recompose, and shoot with the p&shoot cameras (and slr's too really). Centering subjects works well to show symetry but often shifting the composition one way or the other may be the difference between getting the shot or missing it, or a good shot and a great shot. Balance the negative space according to what looks natural. Negative space being the area around the subject.

Work the subject don't take just one shot. The more you look at art the more you will have a grasp on composition in a natural sense. Don't forget about verticle compositions. Ask yourself whether the subject lends itself to a horizontal or verticle composition? If you aren't sure, shoot both. Play with diagonal lines and geometric shapes and see what you come up with.

Just make sure it is pleasing to your eye and shoot. Fill the frame, and watch your corners.

Backgrounds

Always try to use clean backgrounds... and I don't mean having a hanging/setup background or whatever. A background is simply what ever is behind the subject. It's all about observing everything in the frame, not just the subject. We aren't trying to make artistic photos of the pb gear we are shooting, but always work on being deliberate and methodical with your approach. Cleaner backgrounds mean better pictures. Better pictures may in turn mean more money for your gun. Isolate the subject, don't have a bunch of clutter.

Having some separation from your background will help the background be out of focus. Softer backgrounds mean compositions that are easy on the eyes, and also soft backgrounds really do well to isolate the subject, I'll be driving this point home as much as possible. If the background is lit up darker than your subject (again, controlling your lighting) that will also isolate the subject by making it stand out more. It's as simple as shooting outside, having your gun/subject in the sun, and your background be made of up things in the shade. This def holds up when shooting outdoor portraits too.

Exposure

I may be getting to technical with this but here we go...

Anyone who understands different types of film will know what I'm talking about, all others bear with me. If we were to compare the digital medium to film and ask ourselves what type of film has characteristics that are closest to digital, the answer would be slide film. In short because it also produces a positive image. With slide film/digital the highlight detail is very sensitive and if you have to much light (overexpose) you will lose highlight detail and your pictures will be washed out looking.

I think we can all agree that digital has this certain look to it when you are shooting on full auto, very grey and lacking color saturation. There's a reason for this but it is quite confusing so I'll leave it at that for now. I will say that learning photography, from a technical standpoint, means that you learn how a camera sees so that you can adjust your eyes to see the way your camera sees, instead of relying upon your camera to see what your eyes see.

Rule of thumb states that with digital you can underexpose a little bit and that will give less digital looking photos, more contrast, better highlight detail, and more color saturation (vibrant colors). To underexpose we must use exposure compensation. This feature is typically a +/- symbol with a number line like so: -2 -1 0 +1 +2 with half or third increments in between.

These whole number increments are called stops. Without getting to technical a stop is a standard unit of measurement for photography. Basically anytime you increase or decrease the exposure by a stop you are doubling or halving the amount of light being used to capture the image. So generally you can underexpose a half stop or so without anything bad happening. The more light you have the more you can underexpose, or I should say the more vivid the light the more you can... Also if you have your subject lit up brighter and then the background behind it not as dark (as mentioned previously), try underexposing alot (around -1.5 to -2) and you'll see that the background goes even darker and the subject is then better isolated within the frame and has excellent detail and color saturation.

The better (more accurate) you are with exposure at time of capture, the less likely your images will need to be cleaned up in photoshop. I can help people with photoshopping bst pics if need be. Just pm me if you'd like to discuss me doing so...

In short having the camera stuck on 0 or neutral is why you don't get the same color in sunsets, as what you are seeing with your own eyes. Lol that's why there's a preset mode for sunsets in most modern point and shoots... Again, your goal (if you want to be a better photographer) should be to understand how your camera sees so that you can rely upon your own eyes more than your camera to get the shot.

Outro

You are taking the picture, the light is what's making the picture, and the camera is capturing that light.

Hope it helps...
:cheers:

-Trevor

Thotograph
10-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Reserved for glossary and/or some sample pics...

Warwitch
10-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Its about time! Fantastic write up T. :hail: Somebody sticky this next to the gallery.

Nothing does a beautful marker justice like a fuzzy phone pic :rolleyes:

I would also like to add that a little bit of ring flash goes a long way on macro photos ;)

Thotograph
10-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks man, indeed ring lites do rock the house, def on my list of equipment to get... just wish I didn't have to drop $400 to get a good one, but hey at least with the canon one I'll be able to fire my other flashes off camera as well. For the record I never said don't use flash. It's just best to use a flash off camera. Goodluck everyone and do pm or post any questions you might have...

JOESPUD27
10-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Point & Click, got it. ;) :p

Jay

Warwitch
10-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Point & Click, got it. ;) :p

Jay

lol, at least have the common decency to use the correct auto-setting when taking "snapshots". i.e. dont use the panoramic setting for closeups :nono:

Ruler_Mark
10-26-2007, 04:48 PM
great work trev!

Papa_Smurf
10-26-2007, 04:51 PM
VERY helpful!

Hexis
10-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Good tips, but some are overkill. There is nothing wrong with using on camera flash, just diffuse it a bit.

Example:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2174/1627246784_024cce7757.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hexis/1627246784/in/set-72157602511682000)

Shot with an SD800IS (small P&S Canon digital). Follow the link and click on All Sizes, then Original to see the very large version. I cropped em a bit since there was no reason to show more idle background. I may have tweaked WB a bit. No other changes were made.

I put a small bit of paper towel in front of the flash to soften things up a bit. That alone goes a log way to make the images clearly illuminated, without crazy harsh reflections.

In the case that you* are using a SLR or something with an off camera flash, bounce it off a piece of paper (flash fires up, diagonal peice of paper to bounce the flash twords the subject. Bigger source of light = softer light = mmm mmm good.

If you want to get real crazy, light paint the subject. That's much fun.

* the royal you, not the specific

Thotograph
10-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Nice lightning bolt, still I've gotta say flat lighting isn't ideal at all. I've done quite a bit of teaching, if you think its overkill thats fine but typically the more clear and specific you are the more people understand you and this guide is meant for everyone and anyone that wants to understand photo better but I tried to write it so that someone with no formal training or photo experiance could comprehend.

Great suggestion about light painting, probably one of my favorite things to do. You also make an excellent point about using flash and making the lightsource larger as well as diffused. I was trying to avoid advising the use of flash in my guide because unless you use it right the pics don't come out as good. Plus it's kinda hard to sync a point n shoot to a good flash system and have any control over the results (would need a 100% manual mode and a pc sync terminal or hot shoe). Now do you see why I avoided the subject? Well there is a wireless flash for our p&s cameras now that I think of it :rolleyes: the SD800IS is one of the best made.
:cheers:

RangerX
10-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Awesome write up. I actually use a digital rebel XTI, for my uses I think its a fantastic camera. Havent had much time for shooting lately though.

We need a gallery for non-paintball where us photo heads can post up pictures. Give some criticism and what not. I had a blog for a while but once I started working full time that went back burner and since then its been shut down :(

Thotograph
10-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Rebels are great cameras. Taught a number of classes on them. Def I would feel fine using one to shoot a job. Lol I keep thinking in the back of my mind that if my 20d suddenly dies on me I'll be buying a rebel to bail me out in a pinch. Currently I'm saving up to make a sacrifice for a new body. I've got glass and now I just want something solid so that I dont have to worry about much when I'm shooting, so the 1d mark iii beast machine will be that. One showed up at the shop b/c I guess the guy couldn't figure it out and so he returned it. People who have read up on the mark iii will know why he returned it... ai servo. Barely 200 frames on it. I can scoop it at cost if I put down 3 up front... def want to pick it up. I gots til early Dec to come up with the loot.

I wanna end up with the mark iii and a 40d... we'll see. Might sell my efs lens (10-22 super wide) and go with the 5d full frame sensor, but the 6.5 frames for a backup to the 10fps (yes thats ten frames per second) of the mark iii sounds really nice, and I like my wide lens. Also I think it'll make sense to have two cameras with the same mp rating of 10.1.

That's an excellent idea to have a photo specific place for dslr and advanced users to have discussion and critique, we can probably just do that in friendly corner and use photobucket and such to host... Thanks, glad you liked it.

mr doo doo
10-26-2007, 06:54 PM
this is a nice guide! now i know what that 'flower' thing is.... will it be bad if i let my camara (Sony DSC-P200) have macro on all the time?

wish the 'Nation' kids could read this :D

Thotograph
10-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Yeap I wanted to hone it here and then decide where it should go to if I take it to the nation. That'd be the best place to crusade againt bad bst photos since thats where the worst examples are.

I originally wanted to avoid a composition section but I've since reconsidered and edited it in... just felt it wouldn't be as comprehensive if I hadn't addressed that as well. Thanks to everyone for your comments and support.

RangerX
10-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Do you do any of your own photo printing? I use a epson R1800 I got a couple years ago.

I started out with film only, mostly B&W's me and a buddy would go around and just shoot whatever. picked up a medium format that I quite enjoy Kiev 88, got a decent wide angle, zoom and a regular lens, not sure what they are since everythings in russian.

Thotograph
10-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Medium format is by far and away superior when you speak in terms of quality. Good technique is a must when using one as you are back to manual focus for most except the top of the line systems. However fun cameras like the holga make medium format accesable to all so I encourage anyone who's interested to pick up a $20 toy camera and some b+w film and have some fun. Pm me if you want more details on where to find such cameras.

Kiev, classic, aahhaha at least russian numbers and our numbers are the same, right? Wait maybe not... I mean hopefully you know what aperature you are on and shutter right? Thats awesome. I've got a llomo, I think it is, cheap cheap twin lens from the USSR (I know it's changed since, this thing is straight oldschool). The images it makes are interesting, quite soft, there's an insert for 6x4.5 format but I think I lost it so it's good ole 6cm square images for the llomo. Didn't have much luck with it back in the day but I was also guessing my exposures most of the time :rolleyes: it's worth another shot now I suppose.

After I picked up my Kowa Six med format I got a little more serious about things and also picked up a L-358 Sekonic Light meter. Def worth its weight in gold this little guy is, I take it with me even when I'm shooting digital, just to get a better grasp on lighting situations. Kowa's are a great med format camera for anyone looking to grow into a system but doesn't want to throw down a couple grand on a hasselblad.

The Six and Six MM Kowa's have often been called the poor mans h-blad. Very good optics, made in korea but the quality has held up for mine mechanically. I managed to find one in great condition for an awesome price... $150 with 85/normal lens, pentaprism finder, waist finder, original focusing handle, neck strap (she's a heavy one), and two focus screens, I think it was an awesome buy. I really want the 50mm wide lens and 150mm portrait for it, but I'm happy with what I got considering it's more for experimenting than work stuff... I'm looking to find another body and ^ those lenses (pref a six mm with mirror lockup and multi exposure) so I can add that to my wedding services. Medium just looks so much better yall.

Whoops got carried away there, I don't own any printers at home, about to get an epson, I've been spoiled by the Epson 9600 at work... def the 1800 is a good choice. I'm thinking about getting the little 580 guy for the scanner. Might get a larger one later if I leave the shop but I can get all my stuff printed there at cost for now. Printing at home is tough to get your system working right and color balance correct.

Hexis
10-26-2007, 08:38 PM
My point about overkill is that if your goal is to help the kiddies on pbnation take better images of their gear for sale, then suggestions they have any chance of accomplishing make a lot of sense.

A lil diffused flash on a P&S is a pretty simple step for folks to use to make their pictures look better. I think your guide is written for budding amateur photographers. But the stated target audience is kiddies taking super basic images of their items.

Perhaps some basic steps to help someone just wanting to take decent BST photos at the beginning, then follow that up with a more in depth discussion.

One technical note about the 1D series. The sensor is a APS-H sized sensor (1.3x crop factor). EF-S glass does not work on any of the 1D series bodies.

Thotograph
10-26-2007, 10:52 PM
If my goal was to help the kiddies on pbn I'd be on pbn dude. You're the expert so by all means please take more duukes on my thread. Why you want to continue to plug on camera flash and contradict me is beyond my understanding. I didn't want to say it but your example was marginal at best.

I'm trying to teach those willing to learn how to make better than average photos of paintball gear (and in general), and I don't think any of the suggestions I made are to hard to achieve, otherwise I would have not given them. My intentions for this thread were to help those that wanted it. Trevor the teacher typed this guide, not the photographer. I was trying to reach and educate my fellow aoers because this is the forum where I felt that people would be most appreciative of my efforts, and for the most part they have been.

I did look at your flickr site. You are obviously very experianced with a camera, much more so than the people I'm trying to reach with this guide. I'd appreciate if you'd chill out on the criticism of how I teach. I chose to do this on my own terms. Maybe this thread wasn't intended for experts like you?

TheTramp
10-29-2007, 05:13 PM
He wasn’t being critical of your post; just adding his opinions. If a little discussion gets on your nerves so quickly I’m surprised you post on public forums. For example, I’m commenting on your last post, not being critical of you.

Thotograph
10-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Maybe that was just his opinion but before we debate semantics hear me out. Really what eerked me was the fact he kept plugging the on camera flash when I was trying to go in one specific direction with the lighting discussion, away from the invention that invented red eye: on camera flash. As well I poured alot of effort into this, so to have that be called overkill felt like a slap in the face.

It's really hard to try to teach something this complex while trying to make it simple enough so that anyone can actually take some knowledge away from it. If I'd just given some cute little tips or whatever someone else would've probably said I hadn't been thorough enough. You can't try to please everyone, all I can do is my best. Honestly I had still left out quite a bit. I tried to get people to think solely about things that could really make a difference in their approach, and help give them results that they could feel proud of.

If Hex had put it in a pm I would've had no issue at all with what he had to say, but it made me feel like I'd just wasted almost three hours of my time only to have some scotch tape and a piece of paper towel undermine most of what I had taught.

psychowarden
10-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Good advice.

I'm a professional photographer and consider myself to take halfway decent photos, and I just can't understand how people can take some of the crap I see.

Hexis
10-29-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm a professional photographer and consider myself to take halfway decent photos, and I just can't understand how people can take some of the crap I see.

It's trivial, they just don't care. A quick snapshot is all they want. Like nearly all things the vast majority of people don't care enough to learn to be better at something.

Thotograph I don't mean to be overly critical, really. Strobes are a great way to simplify a large problem in photography: lack of light. Using flash well will do a lot to improve BST type photography without having to teach/understand the fundamentals oh photography.

trevorjk
10-30-2007, 01:03 AM
Nice post Trevor :) id expect nothing less then excellence from a Trevor :p

Thotograph
11-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks Trevor...

Dude so freaken tired right now, just got done setting up a temp studio at the track in Daytona. I'm working on a killer shoot :D Talk about large diffused light sources, today we made a 10'x25' softbox. Yes thats ten feet by twenty-five feet. Suspended from the ceiling in one of the garages in the paddock, using 12 profoto heads with two 2400watt second power packs, basically more soft gorgeous light than any of us would know what to do with. Enjoyed myself and really learned a great deal. Working with some true masters of their craft. I'll get some pics up later. Neeeeed rest, very tired. Nice 11hour day of bbusting my :cuss:

Fantom
11-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Sticky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!