PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a barrel?

madcrisis
10-26-2007, 05:53 PM
ive run water down the barrel and squeegied. theres is still what appears to be dirt or dirty and semi dried oil. how can i get this out of there?

lasrsktr
10-26-2007, 06:06 PM
HOT water and a squeeqie... the rubber ones work the best

Mechanic79
10-26-2007, 06:10 PM
How did your barrel get THAT DIRTY in the first place?

Then rain X the inside once it's clean.

maniacmechanic
10-26-2007, 06:15 PM
How did your barrel get THAT DIRTY in the first place?

Then rain X the inside once it's clean.

rain X :cool: good idea , even an old dog CAN learn new tricks

t0nnn
10-26-2007, 06:30 PM
I used to use rain x ... I completely forgot about that thanks for bringin it up...gonna get some this weekend

ThePixelGuru
10-26-2007, 06:46 PM
I've got some old brass instrument cleaning cloths around, they're just soft cloths sewn to ribbons with weights at the end. Drop 'em through, pull, and clean as new.

And when they wear out and the ribbons come off, I wash 'em and use 'em as shop rags. Now that's efficiency! :D

madcrisis
10-26-2007, 07:05 PM
should i use soap or is that bad for it?

craltal
10-26-2007, 07:35 PM
should i use soap or is that bad for it?

you can and no, just make sure you rise well afterwards.

i've found that letting it soak in water for a little will help the stuff to loosen up and wash right out.

SR_matt
10-26-2007, 10:03 PM
dishwasher is supposed to be ok for ano ( IIRC, HUGE IIRC LET SOME ONE ELSE CONFIRM THIS, i do remember people with phantoms doing it but i do not remember if it was all of the pieces or just some steel internals and it was on the top rack)

is this a reanoed barrel or is it a factory ano? some smaller and custom shops end up leaving some spotty (visually) parts in barrels so it looks like there is junk when it is fine.

also paint that is not cleaned off and it is left caked on has been reported to strip the color out of ano, i dont remember if it physically damages the surface but it defiantly can visually do it (has to be just the right combo though, but it has happened to me is some small places that are not seen)

-matt

madcrisis
10-26-2007, 10:25 PM
it is original anno

so best thing is soak it in water (for how long) then some rain x?

Eagle
10-26-2007, 10:50 PM
glass cleaner and a squeegy has always worked best for me

Freebird
10-27-2007, 01:02 AM
it is original anno

so best thing is soak it in water (for how long) then some rain x?

fill your sink up with the hottest water your faucet will put out, submerge the barrel and let it sit for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hr. By then the water will probably be room temp anyway, run a clean rubber squigie through and then run a fury one with some rain x

phizz
10-27-2007, 01:45 AM
50/50 mix alcohol and water

t0nnn
10-27-2007, 07:40 AM
^ yeah I use that to clean the inside of my bodies, gets all the paint and whatever else is in there out. I'd try some rain x like said before, I used to get all the paint out with water and a squigie then drop some rain x in and re-run the squigie thru...worked like a charm

MANN
10-27-2007, 07:43 AM
50/50 mix alcohol and water

qft

ThePixelGuru
10-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Wow, that's nuts... I've never had to do anything but wipe with a wet cloth, though sometimes I just strip my 'mag and run everything under hot water for a few seconds. How do you guys get your gear so dirty?

Railgun
10-27-2007, 09:00 PM
DO NOT use electric dishwasher "soap". It's somewhat caustic and will react with the anodizing and aluminium under it. I've got a hard anodized low stick aluminium frying skillet and it specifically says to NOT use it in any sort of dishwasher or with any sort of oven cleaners to remove stains.

On the other hand dishwashING soap that you use in a sink is fine. I use some Palmolive dish soap and hot water to clean my own barrels and they come out nice. Seems to remove the old crud buildup in the used guns I buy that so often have old crusty paintball splooge in them.