PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Paintball Website Idea

BlueDragonX
10-27-2007, 10:06 PM
So this is going to be a bit of market research. I'm thinking of starting a new paintball related website. It will be similar to PBReview. It will be a database of paintball markers and upgrades. Information like manufacturer, availability, and what upgrades work on what markers will be included. I will also likely give links to manufacturer's websites and locations online where you can buy the markers/upgrades if they're still being manufactured. Lastly there will be a rating system for users to quickly rate a marker/upgrade as well as the ability to write more detailed reviews similar to PBReview.

The primary differences from PBReview are these: I hope to build a much more usable user interface; content will not have to go through a review process before it gets posted (there will be "report abuse" and "submit correction" options, though); smaller manufacturers will not be prevented from adding their parts, content will primarily be user controlled and everyone is welcome; marker compatibility for upgrades will be given, something that PBReview does not have.

In the future I would also like to add employee written articles/reviews on newly released gear and a graphical marker builder that allows you to build and upgrade markers from those listed on the site. Oh, and RSS feeds will be available to keep updated on new gear submissions.

So, now that you've read that, please fill out the poll and tell me what you think. If you need further clarification, don't hesitate to ask. And if you think the idea could be improved upon, I'd love to hear how!

Ruler_Mark
10-27-2007, 10:17 PM
I agree with you on all of thoose points,, PBreview is good but there are many ways it can be improved. If you are serious about this I might be willing to help as I a computer engineering student programming is second nature to me.

BlueDragonX
10-27-2007, 10:49 PM
I agree with you on all of thoose points,, PBreview is good but there are many ways it can be improved. If you are serious about this I might be willing to help as I a computer engineering student programming is second nature to me.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer, but I intend to do all the programming and server configuration myself. I'm a software engineer by trade and hobby. My week point is graphics design, so I hope to recruit help in creating the look and feel of the site.

Ruler_Mark
10-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the offer, but I intend to do all the programming and server configuration myself. I'm a software engineer by trade and hobby. My week point is graphics design, so I hope to recruit help in creating the look and feel of the site.
Ah, well if you ever need a consultant i have alot of good ideas. I considered doing this myself a while back but got lazy :P

MANN
10-27-2007, 11:00 PM
The down side to PBR is that every marker/barrel/air tank gets good reviews. It is my oppinion that most of them are false. IE not every product can be better

BlueDragonX
10-27-2007, 11:16 PM
The down side to PBR is that every marker/barrel/air tank gets good reviews. It is my oppinion that most of them are false. IE not every product can be better

This is true. If all products are excellent then all products are equal, right? But that's not the case. I'm going to have to explore ways to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

That reminds me of the saying we have around the office: "If all support issues are high priority then none of them are."

Ruler_Mark
10-27-2007, 11:33 PM
This is true. If all products are excellent then all products are equal, right? But that's not the case. I'm going to have to explore ways to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

That reminds me of the saying we have around the office: "If all support issues are high priority then none of them are."

You should have 3 stages of review mabey,,
Non logged in votes simple 1/10
Logged in where they write up a review 1/10
Then a certified review by a offical reviewer 1/10 and ahve them all in separate catagories. may even get free samples once this is mainstream.

Have a field for production start date none of the ambingueos newer factor pbr has.

Skiddz
10-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Yeah it would be awesome if you could provide all parts around.

From the old parts not manufactured anymore to a small description of them (what they are and do)

And then have sections of new stuff. I would appreciate a site like that where i can simply click my make and model of a marker and then thumb through upgrades and such that i wouldn't mind buying. A nice perk would be links directly to where you can order them.

BlueDragonX
10-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Yeah it would be awesome if you could provide all parts around.

From the old parts not manufactured anymore to a small description of them (what they are and do)

And then have sections of new stuff. I would appreciate a site like that where i can simply click my make and model of a marker and then thumb through upgrades and such that i wouldn't mind buying. A nice perk would be links directly to where you can order them.

Yeah, Skiddz, that's exactly what I want to be able to provide. Sounds more than a little bit useful, doesn't it? :D

I suppose I could provide an in-production date as well, but I was thinking there would just be a field indicating whether or not the item is in production, was a limited run production item, or out of production entirely. We'll see, though, but I'll certainly keep that in mind.

ProblemKinder
10-28-2007, 01:29 AM

i would be mucho interested in helping with graphic design. PM me if you get this rolling and are interested. =D