PDA

View Full Version : Playing Paintball with Diabetes Question

pyrodragon
11-01-2007, 04:00 PM
i have been playing this sport with Type One Diabetes. i take shots so no worries. i went in today for my yearly check up. well today the doctor was talking about putting me on a pump. My question is how many of you play with diabetes and second how many play with an insulin pump? i would really like some feedback on the guys that play with insulin pumps. thanks "P"

Chaos_Theory!
11-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Id say that would lead to problems if you play aggressive. It may be alright for some woodsball or if you play back in speedball.

Ruler_Mark
11-01-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm no expert but i think you would mst definatly need to protect the pump unit and where the pipe enters your body

GraveDiggersUnion
11-01-2007, 07:04 PM
ask your doctor about it would be your best bet...

jaywmustang
11-01-2007, 07:26 PM
I would ask your doctor first. A buddy of mine, wife plays with us and she has a pump. She has never had a problem playing woodsball, she keep the pump in the front of her shirt. I cant see any of the hoses and i didnt know she had a pump till she pulled it out. Ask your doctor and make sure nothing is hanging out when u play.

pyrodragon
11-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Id say that would lead to problems if you play aggressive. It may be alright for some woodsball or if you play back in speedball.

see i do play aggressive when i need too. i don't like things wearing me down. the pump option has been brought up in the past but at the time i still felt like i was still too rough on myself to have one. i brought this up with my doctor today, and he says i might be able to disconnect the pump while i'm playing. i have to go see an endo doctor within the next month and i really want to be ready for that with the right questions. thanks guy, trust me i have never let my diabetes slow me down on the field so i doubt i will let this next step slow me down either.

Chaos_Theory!
11-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah, id def talk to your doctor then. When i was in school i knew a few kids that had them and even for some sports they had problems with them. Its better to be safe than sorry. I personally wouldnt want to worry about something like that if i were an active person, especially in paintball.

Railgun
11-01-2007, 08:32 PM
There shouldn't be any need to slow down but you may need to change how you charge around to adapt to your new circumstances. Hey, changing how you play is a LOT better than not playing. You just need to set new goals and priorities in how you play to adapt to your changing situation.

finnmanpa
11-02-2007, 12:19 PM
I am a type 1 diabetic with a pump. I spend most of my Saturdays either playing or reffing. Truth be told, I am now comfortable just unplugging and unhooking my pump and needle for most of the day every Saturday. I get so much exercise that I don't need a ton of insulin anyway, and if I do on a Saturday I just use my Humalog pen. Saturday night I hook back up.

I have played and reffed with it on as well. just be mindful where you tape up your needle in relation to a tac-vest, belt pack, etc, and keep a little extra tape on hand. I keep the pump in an internal tac-vest pocket if need be.

Tac-OneFun
11-02-2007, 01:12 PM
I am a type 1 without a pump. I would think you can just disconnect it while you are playing. Can't you? I realize it's not ideal... but its better then it getting snagged and ripped off or something while you are running....

Indignant
11-02-2007, 05:34 PM
i have been playing this sport with Type One Diabetes. i take shots so no worries. i went in today for my yearly check up. well today the doctor was talking about putting me on a pump. My question is how many of you play with diabetes and second how many play with an insulin pump? i would really like some feedback on the guys that play with insulin pumps. thanks "P"

my uncle has had diabetes for a long time, not sure if it has been his whole life or not but it's been 30 something years. he recently switched over to a pump and he LOVES it, especially, he says, when he is playing tennis. he is a super-active guy and plays tennis at one of the highest 'amateur' levels at his club, so he puts the thing through it's paces. says he wishes he would have switched a long time ago. not an awkward device, either, at first glance he just has a small cell-phone case on his belt or whatever.

Nudi
11-03-2007, 04:17 AM
I know of several Type 1 Diabetics who play paintball, with and without pumps.

The American Academy of Pediatrics published a study not too long ago that specifically looked at 'Exercise With and Without an Insulin Pump Among Children and Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.' If you care to read it in its entirety: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/116/3/e348

But to 'pump' or 'not pump' (yea, yea...I know what it sounds like...lol) is probably going to depend on your doctor's recommendations. Some pracitioners want their patients to take it off and just do more intense monitoring, and others perscribe to a reduction/titration schedule...an example (and useful information for anyone considering or who has a pump) can be found here: http://www.ypsomed.com/en/161.html

Pyrodragon: just keep in mind that no advice (even mine as a Family Nurse Practitioner) given on this forum is a substitute for recommendations from your Endocrinologist/Pediatrician/Internalist...or whomever you see on a regular basis for your diabetic care and management.

Hope this helps...and good luck! :)

shartley
11-03-2007, 08:17 AM
I played this last month with a person who had a pump. I thought it was a music player until I asked him about it. He has no problems playing. The only thing he has to be careful about is direct hits on the screen. But he turns it so the screen is against his body and not facing out. I am sure a hard case could be made for it as well if need be. But he didn't seem to have any real issues.....

grEnAlEins
11-03-2007, 09:44 AM
My buddy plays with a pump and has not had problems. Just don't slide on it and keep it protected.

pyrodragon
11-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Hope this helps...and good luck! :)
thank you for ur post. i know that the only sound advice is from my doctors. i'm one of those types that do their research on the topics dealing with my diabetes. i won't be seeing the endo until mid Jan. so i'll be looking up and figuring out the questions i need to ask my doctors. thanks for all the help guys. peace P