PDA

View Full Version : Am I evil?

grEnAlEins
11-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Basically what happened was my brother wanted to start playing regularly. He is ~6 years younger than me, turning 15 soon. He asked me what gun he should buy, so a told him.... A ma--Cocker? I recommended a cocker to my brother over a mag. I told him initially that he could use any of my mags anytime (I have four at present, three at home and one with RRFireblade where it is getting worked on by elves). He said that that offer was nice, but insufficient and he wanted to buy a gun of his very own, and a brand new one. I said he should look into a mag, but a nice one that is new was a bit out of his budget. Then I remembered that cockers were going for $62 over at Action Village. He picked one up from there and is playing with it for the first time this weekend. I hope it doesn't break because I do not have any gnomes to fix his cocker and my elves are insufficient :p

:cheers:

Nick

Edit: At least it wasn't an Vibe/SP1 ;) Amiright?

tech-chan
11-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Let him play with the cocker, and then slowly make him realize that its the skill that counts, not the gun. I am personally selling two guns to get a pump, one of these days he will realize that.... Until then, let him use your mag!

Ruler_Mark
11-05-2007, 12:44 PM
let him play with his cock----er , The backblock jsut makes people fall in love with that gun

Robbie
11-05-2007, 05:28 PM
yes you are evil and will set in hell tech cocker for eternity with nothing more than a 15" crescent wrench and stale gum.
You should have just punched him in the balls and taken his money.
ha
At least he has 3 back up mags to use.

olinar
11-05-2007, 05:35 PM
make him play with a p.o.s marker and if he likes playin, he'll buy his own.

thats how i started, used my brothers 98c and slowly made my way into mags. ive never looked back, but i now own the very 98.

punkncat
11-05-2007, 07:10 PM
I am thinking it must be one of those "lightning" cockers or some such?
I picked my 04 superstock? up pretty cheap, but that is WAY cheap. If you did get a second rate cocker things will go wrong fast. The genuine or licensed/high grade cockers work better, longer.

Heck anything that shoots for that price is a good deal. I payed more for my first marker. Let him play and he will decide on his own what he likes.
Have fun, thats most important.

...oh and no CAKE option? :D :ninja:

Caboose
11-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Cake option unnecessary.

Pie > caek

Cockers are reliable if you don't screw with them. Eventually something will wear out or come out of adjustment. In which case, you set it and loctite it so it won't come out of adjustment again. Mags, however, just work for freaking ever. However, they cost a lot more.

warbeak2099
11-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Show me a decent mag you can buy for $62. Yea, didn't think so. The cocker was a good decision.

Spider-TW
11-05-2007, 08:24 PM
The best part of having your own gun is being able to tech it yourself. The autococker is not the easy machine to learn on, but the price is right. If he learns to take care of that thing, he will be set.

But pie is better.

grEnAlEins
11-05-2007, 09:13 PM
make him play with a p.o.s marker and if he likes playin, he'll buy his own.
He used a BE Avenger the first few times I took him out to play. Started at age 12-13 for him. I gave him the gun because he wanted to start playing. It finally bit the dust and he wanted a NIB marker.

I am thinking it must be one of those "lightning" cockers or some such?
I picked my 04 superstock? up pretty cheap, but that is WAY cheap. If you did get a second rate cocker things will go wrong fast. The genuine or licensed/high grade cockers work better, longer.

Heck anything that shoots for that price is a good deal. I payed more for my first marker. Let him play and he will decide on his own what he likes.
Have fun, thats most important.

...oh and no CAKE option? :D :ninja:
No sir, it is a "real" cocker. 04 WGP Prostock. I hope it doesn't crap out too quickly, because I will have to tech him how to fix it, and I am not 100% comfortable with cockers. I'm sure the most important aspect is taken care of; he loves to play the game.

Cake option?!?!?! :mad: :cuss: I think you A) seriously need to reevaluate your current position or B) gain the slightest degree of decent taste :p Maybe I failed to convey the deliciousness of that particular pie :confused:

tebo
11-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Dont take it apart down to every piece and it will work. You will probably only need to take out the bolt and run a swab through it. Also wipe it down if the gun gets shot.

punkncat
11-05-2007, 09:59 PM
No sir, it is a "real" cocker. 04 WGP Prostock. I hope it doesn't crap out too quickly, because I will have to tech him how to fix it, and I am not 100% comfortable with cockers. I'm sure the most important aspect is taken care of; he loves to play the game.

Cake option?!?!?! :mad: :cuss: I think you A) seriously need to reevaluate your current position or B) gain the slightest degree of decent taste :p Maybe I failed to convey the deliciousness of that particular pie :confused:

The prostock...came in either blue or red? Heck, that may be the same marker I just paid ~$40 more for! They are good right out of the box. If you don't fiddle with it, it will stay that way. WGP made nice products up until the buyout.

...and hey, who doesn't like a nice slice of cake?
About the only pie I like...oh nevermind. Beemer would crack me in the head with a banstick.

Caboose
11-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Nice one.
But pie is superior to caek for so many more reasons than just the potential sexual innuendos.

1 word. Cheesecake. Yes, it is pie.

jman511115
11-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Sweet cherry piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeee!!!!

grEnAlEins
11-06-2007, 07:43 AM
The prostock...came in either blue or red? Heck, that may be the same marker I just paid ~$40 more for! They are good right out of the box. If you don't fiddle with it, it will stay that way. WGP made nice products up until the buyout.

...and hey, who doesn't like a nice slice of cake?
About the only pie I like...oh nevermind. Beemer would crack me in the head with a banstick.
Yep, I think it might be the same one. His is blue. Action Village just sold out last night. I was actually thinking about picking one up, but too lat now :(

LOL, one pie you do enjoy... NICE :cool: :spit_take :cheers:

behemoth
11-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Tell him to put a pump kit on the 'cocker, and be a real man.

evil
11-06-2007, 02:58 PM
your not Evil i am.

a cocker is a great starter gun. the new ones with everything basically integrated is even better. i personally cant stand people who play these days and have no idea how a marker functions so learning to do a little tweaking on a cocker goes a long way.

turbo chicken
11-06-2007, 03:29 PM
given the budget that would have been my decision ... :cool:

the only other option would have been advice to save a little more money and get a mag ... ;)

B-Pow
11-06-2007, 04:04 PM
(stupid moment)Should have gotten an ion(/stupid moment)

Well if he had gotten an ion he could see first-hand how bad a gun can be...and how little a fast gun matters...

I picked up a 04 prostock like 2-3 weeks ago, it's a neat toy for the price. The only downside to the 04 is the milling by the barrel it scoops up rather agressively behind the frontblock and makes it impossible to get some barrels into the gun. I just took a metal file to it and brought it down to a level which is more managable. I've comptemplated pumping the gun, but I almost want to keep it semi...it's fun...I thin it is because of that backblock...it's hypnotic.

And if he ever gets bored and has too much money it's always simple to throw money into an autococker! Autocockers always "need" new bolts, hpr's, lpr's, rams, 3-ways, frames, backblocks.....I always have to keep reminding myself not to get new parts for my cocker because the current ones work fine (but I do want a delrin bolt just so I have one less thing to lube to death).

SR_matt
11-06-2007, 09:50 PM
personaly a cocker was my first higher end gun. i think it is a great way to learn how things function because you can see it working. mags are great guns but being new to the sport you need to learn to work on guns and have those bad days where you tech your gun more than you play.

just my 2 cents
-matt

tebo
11-06-2007, 10:07 PM
(stupid moment)Should have gotten an ion(/stupid moment)

Well if he had gotten an ion he could see first-hand how bad a gun can be...and how little a fast gun matters...
I think i might be the only one who likes ions here. Nothing is wrong with the ion. @00$ and with another 60-100 you have a nice gun. They are also really customizable, not saying that cockers arent though. I love ions just saying. :headbang:

aNtHrAx323
11-07-2007, 03:19 AM
I think I've gotta agree with Spider-TW and SR_matt... Though it is a relatively complex marker, and at that it costs $62 (which leads me to want to question its overall quality), it'd be a hell of a starter for several reasons.

1) As others have said, Autocockers are great until you mess with them *if* you have no idea what you're doing. It'd be a great learning experience for him both in terms of general mechanics/physics, but also all the subtle complexities of playing paintball - high pressure vs. low pressure markers, why the gun doesn't need to be pumped and what all that air is doing, as well as various ways to tweak out a marker to make it more enjoyable to play with as his playing style develops (and you really can't argue this last one with an Autococker - although I'm an Automag evangelist to the end, and it is insanely customizable, most upgrades and modifications for the Autococker are more directly related to the way the entire gun behaves mechanically/pneumatically).

2) He'll develop his field skills more quickly competing against most of these electronic makers on the market nowadays. Having to put more effort into placing effective shots seeing as the Autococker (at least in relatively stock form) is not exactly known for easily laying down large quantities of paint quickly will make him think much, much more about how he advances and sets himself up relative to other players on the field. Plus I personally love spending less money on paint.

3) Once he's played with the Autococker for a bit, when he picks up an Automag he'll be an immediate member of the family :) . My old teammates initially laughed about me using my Z-gripped Mag, but come game day, at one point each would inadvertently cripple their Angels (frying a board, etc.) and fall back to my backup Mag (with the classic valve, not my RT) and immediately start looking for a good deal on an RT Pro. They're amazing markers, and most who use them have trouble finding anything else that is as comfortable or dependable.

I think that given the fact you've put even this much forethought into your brother's beginning in the paintball world, you'll be helping him make the right decisions without even knowing it. Let him start out with a cheap "beater" marker that will unquestionably be a blast for him to play with, and then grow into other options as he continues to play. He'll start asking questions as he learns, at which point you should continue to be a helping hand in his development.

And with regards to the gnomes - become the gnome. If anything, teach yourself how to maintain an Autococker so you'll both grow from the entire experience. Plus, don't underestimate those little bastards - I'm finding younger siblings are often far more intelligent than we anticipate.

Regards,
Campbell

grEnAlEins
11-07-2007, 09:24 AM
I think I've gotta agree with Spider-TW and SR_matt... Though it is a relatively complex marker, and at that it costs $62 (which leads me to want to question its overall quality), it'd be a hell of a starter for several reasons.

And with regards to the gnomes - become the gnome. If anything, teach yourself how to maintain an Autococker so you'll both grow from the entire experience. Plus, don't underestimate those little bastards - I'm finding younger siblings are often far more intelligent than we anticipate.

Regards,
Campbell
First of all, great post. Input like that is always appreciated.

On the first thing I bolded, it is a quality marker. It was produced by the real WGP, before they were acquired K2. It was so cheap because it was a "2004" marker, which somehow makes it of lesser quality :tard: Silly kids... they year means nothing. Nobody wants to buy an 04 marker, so online retailers had to blow them out. I should've bought one actually. Sold out now though, ratsers :mad:

On the second point, I am already sort of a gnome I guess. I have a basic idea of how it works. It is like any other poppet gun inside, and has pneumatics on the front block so it cocks itself. It does not seem that difficult... although I have no clue how to properly time a cocker, never done it. Not even really sure what it does :confused:

Nick

B-Pow
11-07-2007, 10:03 AM
although I have no clue how to properly time a cocker, never done it. Not even really sure what it does :confused:

Google and YouTube are your friends. There are some great resources out there on timing and how, why, and when to do it.

Hexis
11-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Pie is so much better, since: THE CAKE IS A LIE!

grEnAlEins
11-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Google and YouTube are your friends. There are some great resources out there on timing and how, why, and when to do it.
I know that, but I have never before had a reason to utilize those resources.

turbo chicken
11-07-2007, 10:32 AM
timing a cocker ... pretty simple ... i'll paraphrase

-Put the backblock on to where there is a teeny gap when in the closed bolt position
-Set the Cocking Rod length
-Set hammer lug to correct postion depending on the type of frame you are using ... sliders usually want about 1/2 way thru the trigger pull
-Set actuator rod ... adjust till there's no blowback

grEnAlEins
11-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Pie is so much better, since: THE CAKE IS A LIE!
But I could divide by zero becoming a lie myself, and then consume delicious cake.

ThePixelGuru
11-07-2007, 04:28 PM
My apologies if you've already found this, but by far the best 'cocker tuning resource I've found on the web is here:
http://www.moodypaintball.com/pages/tech/index.htm

aNtHrAx323
11-07-2007, 08:37 PM
First of all, great post. Input like that is always appreciated.

On the first thing I bolded, it is a quality marker. It was produced by the real WGP, before they were acquired K2. It was so cheap because it was a "2004" marker, which somehow makes it of lesser quality :tard: Silly kids... they year means nothing. Nobody wants to buy an 04 marker, so online retailers had to blow them out. I should've bought one actually. Sold out now though, ratsers :mad:

On the second point, I am already sort of a gnome I guess. I have a basic idea of how it works. It is like any other poppet gun inside, and has pneumatics on the front block so it cocks itself. It does not seem that difficult... although I have no clue how to properly time a cocker, never done it. Not even really sure what it does :confused:

Nick
My bad on the assumption - $62 is a hell of a deal then. I'm actually hoping to pick one up for a pump conversion soon :). I was clicking around at work (being highly productive, of course) and found a 5-pack of WGP ProStock Autocockers for ~$260. Yes, you heard me - a 5-pack, all black. I am damned tempted to hunt that down again and pick it up purely for the sake of having a collection of backup and project markers. It's like having a scrapyard all to myself :D

** Correction - it was a 5-pack of WGP Trilogy Autocockers for $347.99 on Amazon. Looks like the deal has been removed.

Automagsam
11-07-2007, 10:42 PM
I learned on an $80 dollar spyder, though I got it alot cheaper on sale years ago. That was before I got my mag. There is nothing wrong with starting on a cheap gun infact I suggest it, that way when he is ready he can get the mag or whatever he wants, it is best to start on something cheap, it forces you to learn the game and not let your gun do the work for you.

-Sam

grEnAlEins
11-10-2007, 09:52 PM
He just called me really excited. He is hooked, loved his marker, and the field :cool: :D

I asked him if he marked anybody. He said yes. I asked how many and he says, "I don't count; I just waste kids." :rofl: :dance:

phizz
11-10-2007, 10:06 PM
I had a friend who picked one of those cockers up as well. I was a bit hesitant at first because I thought for sure it was some sort of clone for that price, but not a nice looking cocker indeed! I really like cockers and once I seen his I tried to pick one up for myself but they were sold out.