PDA

View Full Version : epiphany(opinion poll)

nathanjones008
11-05-2007, 02:15 PM
The prices of the sp epip has droped drastically! Do you think it drops because its the end of the year and it time to mark down? Or do you think they quit making them and selling off the rest of them because of poor sales? :)

RogueFactor
11-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Yes, its because of poor sales. Same for the Ion. At the beginning of the year they raised the Ion prices, only to lower them again.

Now theyve come out with the $150 marker. Given enough time, it too is going to have poor sales. This industry is running out of 'OMG' products. Then they will have to rely on their reputation...

Wonder when they are going to figure out that cheap markers arent the reason why people have quit playing. You can give the markers away if you want. It isnt going to change the fact that to PLAY paintball is expensive, and is VERY expensive at 15 bps. And if it isnt fun(which many have said), there is no point paying to play it.

Chronobreak
11-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Wonder when they are going to figure out that cheap markers arent the reason why people have quit playing. You can give the markers away if you want. It isnt going to change the fact that to PLAY paintball is expensive, and is VERY expensive at 15 bps. And if it isnt fun(which many have said), there is no point paying to play it.

I agree :spit_take

the sport has to be fun or have an appeal that makes it worth wanting to spend the $ it requires. Some places have succesfully achieved this and are doing well, however most have not or do not understand the concept.

paint sales are what keep a field going, but good fields,service,and facilites are what keep them coming back.

Likely the epiphany was/is being phased out due to the 3-4 new similar guns that they want to push instead.

nathanjones008
11-05-2007, 03:07 PM
i think what made the epiphany go down is because it was so expensive for what you get, the mini and the rail offered so much more at the same price. The epiphany is bascially and ion with a few Minor ups.

BigEvil
11-05-2007, 03:10 PM
I agree :spit_take

the sport has to be fun or have an appeal that makes it worth wanting to spend the $ it requires. Some places have succesfully achieved this and are doing well, however most have not or do not understand the concept.

paint sales are what keep a field going, but good fields,service,and facilites are what keep them coming back.

Likely the epiphany was/is being phased out due to the 3-4 new similar guns that they want to push instead.

OMG Chronobreak and Roguefactor are AGREEING on something.

STICKY THIS THREAD NOW :rofl:

RogueFactor
11-05-2007, 03:25 PM
i think what made the epiphany go down is because it was so expensive for what you get, the mini and the rail offered so much more at the same price. The epiphany is bascially and ion with a few Minor ups.

Prices are going down across the board., because people arent buying. Why they arent buying is the question.

You can buy a Dye SLG at $250(MSRP), and a Mini brand new for $300 now.

Markers keep getting cheaper...and more people quit playing the sport. Its a wonderful marketing strategy. Pure genious.

autococker04
11-05-2007, 03:56 PM
i think its because people have realized that the epiphony is an ion, nothing more. SP has no origionality in their guns, all or most of the new ones that they came out with are differently upgraded ions.

robnix
11-05-2007, 03:57 PM

It's not just the cost for the new player, it's intimidating. I went to a local indoor field last month and played with a few new guys. One with a rental, and one with a new ION. Both got owned by the regulars that were slinging paint hard. The rental guy was pretty discouraged by the time he was done, he spent a good bit of time hunkered down into the first bunker he could get to until he got shot out. The kid with the ION wasn't as discouraged, but by the end of the day had decided he needed to upgrade his gear simply because he didn't feel he could keep up with the regulars.

So in one day we had two new players that were both discouraged, one because he knew he was outclassed, one because he thought better gear would help him play better. Both thought that firepower was the answer.

RogueFactor
11-05-2007, 04:14 PM
It's not just the cost for the new player, it's intimidating. I went to a local indoor field last month and played with a few new guys. One with a rental, and one with a new ION. Both got owned by the regulars that were slinging paint hard. The rental guy was pretty discouraged by the time he was done, he spent a good bit of time hunkered down into the first bunker he could get to until he got shot out. The kid with the ION wasn't as discouraged, but by the end of the day had decided he needed to upgrade his gear simply because he didn't feel he could keep up with the regulars.

So in one day we had two new players that were both discouraged, one because he knew he was outclassed, one because he thought better gear would help him play better. Both thought that firepower was the answer.

Yep, thats the result of fewer people participating. Smaller groups at the field now require combining the new walk-on players with the regulars. Its a vicious cycle.

Spider-TW
11-05-2007, 04:21 PM
With that announcement the other day, they have to clear out the old stock. One of those markers was some upgraded epiphany, iirc. The depth of the price cut should indicate how many they have in stock at the moment. It also gives you a better idea of the real cost of manufacture, advertising, and legal action. :argh:

So, who is working on the modular/disposable marker? Oh yeah, it's been done, prior art (I didn't see an announcement).

Anyway, the thought is: Rental markers are usually something durable, but if you go cheap enough and make the major parts easily traded (eye modules, regulators, bolts made of orings), can you rent high speed electros on a general basis? Not that it would improve the game, just as a marketing angle.

Can you rent Ions commonly? I'm still seeing tippmanns and illustrator clones.

rkjunior303
11-05-2007, 05:03 PM
can you rent high speed electros on a general basis? Not that it would improve the game, just as a marketing angle.

i think keeping batteries would be a nightmare.

robnix
11-05-2007, 05:09 PM

There's several fields in my area that offer IONs as 'premium' rental packages.

Robbie
11-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Its Simple
They need Money For more lawsuits.
Jack Boots and ss men dont come cheap. Than there is flags, uniforms and propaganda and you know that stuff aint free.
So when you need some loot you either scam the elderly or have a crappy gun sale.
bahaaaabahaa

BigEvil
11-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Its Simple
They need Money For more lawsuits.
Jack Boots and ss men dont come cheap. Than there is flags, uniforms and propaganda and you know that stuff aint free.
So when you need some loot you either scam the elderly or have a crappy gun sale.
bahaaaabahaa

Truer words may have never been spoken on this forum. :hail:

B-Pow
11-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Wait you mean firepower != better player

Well man..I'm up the creek then.

just messing around, but I will say this heavy firepower is fun to shoot sometimes...

maniacmechanic
11-05-2007, 06:37 PM
got a friend that bought deffinatly not what they were pumped up to be

nathanjones008
11-07-2007, 08:21 AM
We only need one more vote to have a solid 30! :) Thanks for the input so far

turbo chicken
11-07-2007, 10:58 AM

These situations always tick me off ... i do my best to mention these situation to the field owner/manager immediately and almost always the situation is taken care of ... especially when i hear a new player discouraged. Then again I play at fields that are well managed.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I have nothing to add to the topic ... but it's an old model being cleared out to make room for the new models ... we see this every year is it really a surpise?

nathanjones008
11-07-2007, 11:36 AM
These situations always tick me off ... i do my best to mention these situation to the field owner/manager immediately and almost always the situation is taken care of ... especially when i hear a new player discouraged. Then again I play at fields that are well managed.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I have nothing to add to the topic ... but it's an old model being cleared out to make room for the new models ... we see this every year is it really a surpise?

Not true all the time. Look at the original ion,(if i am correct) the same type has been on the market for years, i believe now the marker is being revised. The reason it was out becasue it is selling very well compared to the epiphany. same example with the tippman model 98, as far as i am concerned all of the(98s) are the same to this present time. ( perhaps a few minor changes)

turbo chicken
11-07-2007, 01:54 PM
It was a blanket statment ... not meant for everyone of course ...

nathanjones008
11-07-2007, 07:08 PM
I See.

nathanjones008
11-08-2007, 02:42 PM
thanks guys for your participation! :)