PDA

View Full Version : Mag body design. Need Opinions

cougar20th
11-13-2007, 05:00 PM
This is a design im working on. Need opinions. Should i and scollops on the round area.

If there is enough real interest this could become a production body/rail.

The colors are just to make it easy to see the two parts

http://www.spyderea.net/forum/uploads/cougar20th/xt2.jpg

angrysasquatch
11-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Alright, I take it all back. Great job. If only I could get Inventor to make all those pretty swooping lines for me. You should submit it to Xmagterror or something, he's looking for a new body design to mill.

Coralis
11-13-2007, 05:09 PM
I would try to sharpen some of the lines in this design as it looks a bit feminine to me (or it could be just the colors doing that not sure) also you might want to remove some more metal around where the air line screws to allow enough room. On a side note I wished I had the skills to this type of design work .

Warwitch
11-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Im instantly reminded of an Orracle 'Cocker. I agree with Coralis, needs a little sharpening or or tapering. AO seems to like organic styling (Dallara, Karta, Chord, Ripper) so I think you are on the right track.

Mechanic79
11-13-2007, 05:44 PM
That is a great design as is.

One suggestion. Could you make the curves from the rail and body blend in to one another so it looks like they are actually one piece? (example: the waves/curves from the body criss-cross the rail right before the valve opening?)

Great work none-the-less!

cyrus-the-virus
11-13-2007, 05:55 PM
meh...

But good job none theless...

Cold Steel
11-13-2007, 05:57 PM
That is a great design as is.

One suggestion. Could you make the curves from the rail and body blend in to one another so it looks like they are actually one piece? (example: the waves/curves from the body criss-cross the rail right before the valve opening?)

Great work none-the-less!

Love the design! I agree with Mechanic79 though. If the rail and body milling were better blended, it would really set the design off. Good Job!

CS

cougar20th
11-13-2007, 06:47 PM
si if i were to bring the center section of the lower wave up onto the body then bring it back down to the front of the rail it may look better? It may not even be possible due to a emag spec ule rail. The front area is almost to thin to mill into much. I tried sharper more complex designs in the past only to have alot of people complain they are to sharp edged. This is a departure from my normal designs and likes.

The rail and body do match smoothly where the colors change.

Mechanic79
11-13-2007, 07:04 PM
si if i were to bring the center section of the lower wave up onto the body then bring it back down to the front of the rail it may look better? It may not even be possible due to a emag spec ule rail. The front area is almost to thin to mill into much. I tried sharper more complex designs in the past only to have alot of people complain they are to sharp edged. This is a departure from my normal designs and likes.

The rail and body do match smoothly where the colors change.

The rail and body match smooth but flat/linear. Adding some feel of motion to the seam adds a new dynamic that is more tasteful/thought-out/full-of-dimension.

I would let up a bit on the valleys to make it work if possible.

like my first post, if you added a tasteful flatness behind the feedneck you would gain both smooth and rigid textures, again adding more dynamics to the piece.

Don't FORCE the design, HINT the design. (i.e. it could just look like something "just splashed" or it could look like a "dragon". the complex design would have the observer using their imagination as to what the design represents.

Russ
11-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Very Nice!

I'd buy one :)

mr doo doo
11-13-2007, 08:54 PM
looks alright...but personally, i'd rather get a Karta if i were to go with a design like that.

phizz
11-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Nicely done but I think it may be a little plain. Still I like it.

cougar20th
11-15-2007, 10:56 AM
Im working on sliding the waves around and adding details to the blank areas. something to breakup the blankness. ill also add a rib from the feedneck back to the tail on center.

the changes may sound simple but its hours of work to do them and thats if all goes well. cross you fingers.

Edit: been at it for 3 hours approx. i know what wont work. I will not be moving the to wave. Its to difficult to recreate the affect. I may be moving the lower than added in details around them. Also think ill add a rib at the top between the feed and the tail

Russ
11-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Blankness can be good. Make it too "busy" and it looses out asthetically. Less is more

IMHO :)

Warwitch
11-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Blankness can be good. Make it too "busy" and it looses out asthetically. Less is more

IMHO :)

Especially if you do complex ano.

Super complex bodies look best with simple ano.

robnix
11-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Very Nice!

Lenny
11-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Reminds me of Shamu...

Russ
11-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Especially if you do complex ano.

Super complex bodies look best with simple ano.

My thoughts exactly

cougar20th
11-15-2007, 05:39 PM
i think after trying all day. im going to try another day to arch the lower wave onto the body some. But come back down to the rail in about the same spot. I think adding a small raised rib between the feed and back will also happen. especially since i need to add alittle back for the feed area anyway.

If anyones wondering I sent about 5 hours on it today and got nowhere past what I had. Freehand type shapes and curves suck somethings. Move one thing kill off everyhting else you wanted to save.

cougar20th
11-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Thought about it some and figured out something. Need peoples opionins.

If I keep the lower wave completely on the rail that means the rails could be sold seperatly without looking odd without the body. If i raise the wave the rail would not look good by itself.

Would having the option of a good looking rail be better than the slight change moving the design would have.

How many would be interested in just the rails. The rails would be Emag style. ULE milled.

Mechanic79
11-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Thought about it some and figured out something. Need peoples opionins.

If I keep the lower wave completely on the rail that means the rails could be sold seperatly without looking odd without the body. If i raise the wave the rail would not look good by itself.

Would having the option of a good looking rail be better than the slight change moving the design would have.

How many would be interested in just the rails. The rails would be Emag style. ULE milled.

I've been thinking of compatibility as well. Though, if you do go that route, you'll compromise your original design. Do you want "cut and paste" or do you want "seamless, proprietary design"?

There are already too many "patches" or "calico" guns out there. (no offense to anyone) but it takes more thought and planning to create a seamless item than to "chunk it all together". (Yes, I do realize it is also cheaper to do it that way as well.)

What do YOU want out of the design of the body/rail? You should answer that question to yourself before you move ahead on "hours of designing". Just my opinion.

cougar20th
11-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Final design I believe. Trying to decide if which is better. With the extra relief in the center of the waves or without. I added a rib to the top to tie the feed area and the tail areas together. Other that that dissusion its finished. I know not everyone will like it.

detent holes are removed because its easier to model without them sometimes and you cant have them in the model for milling anyway.

Without relief
http://www.spyderea.net/forum/uploads/cougar20th/xt2 body111607.jpg

With releief
http://www.spyderea.net/forum/uploads/cougar20th/xt2 body111707.jpg

Coralis
11-17-2007, 02:42 PM
I like the one with the relief ....the change of colors also makes quite a difference.

Warwitch
11-17-2007, 02:46 PM
I like the top one better. And I agree with ^^ about the color. Try doing the same thing with a color somebody would actually do :p

Mayzons
11-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Nice work, they both look good to me

Xmagterror
11-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Hells Yeah!! I want one of those bodies. I will trade you for a Ripper body and a rusted out hub cap off of a 69 Mustang deluxe. Can you ship on monday? shoot me a PM

Mechanic79
11-17-2007, 06:39 PM
WITH relief!

Just turn the pics Greyscale so peoples "cones" don't mess with their "rod" perception.

focus on the shape not the color.

cougar20th
11-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Ok. the original blue/purple colors where done becuase when modeling the opposing colors make it easier. I didnt think of colors when preseting it. Im just used to them.

At the moment im leaning towards the one with the relief. Ill ask if it can be a option that the buyer can pick. if he wants it milled into the body or not. I make no promises as I dont know the complexity of skipping a machining step. If not then it is whatever one I chose as final.

SummaryJudgement
11-17-2007, 08:00 PM
I think those designs look nice man! Keep up the good work :cool:

Lomarandil
11-17-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm partial to without!

Spider-TW
11-17-2007, 08:40 PM
I like the tail especially.

Maybe as a later project, how about some lateral 'scales'? That whole body looks like a gator. Put some wide gator belly ribs on it and maybe you can get a gator-mag out of the same base.

Nothing too detailed, just a little more detail for a stylized reptile look. Something that will polish up and anno still. As long as I'm dreaming... :D

mclaggan123
11-17-2007, 10:22 PM
let us know if you get one made and how much they will cost to have done. i'd like one if they get done.

Xmagterror
11-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Body production is in the works.....cougar20th did the design work on the Ripper body and he knows his stuff. Getting the production bodies done should not be that hard but its going to take a little time to make the matching rails. They will go up for sale when i have both the rail and body combos complete. shooting for just before christmas....as for pricing, its too early yet.

Babylon 5
11-18-2007, 11:54 AM
I vote for with relief.

Maghog
11-18-2007, 12:28 PM
The relief is nice, but you might want to reconsider the design when it includes the ball detent. That'll probably disrupt it. The back part of the rail would probably look nicer if it were rounded instead of flat. Other than that, you've got a nice, complete design there.
Dan@Triggernomics

thefool
11-18-2007, 02:36 PM
^
I'd say finish showing how it would look with detants. Im a fan of the one with the relief, but im not a huge fan of the rail, it seems like something more interesting can be done in the front.

cougar20th
11-19-2007, 02:38 PM
The detent will land in the center of the relief. I still have to double check that there is enough material for the detents. Shouldnt be a problem. Ill model up a detent as soon as I remember to pull it out of my angel.

The approx weight of just the body appears to be about 1/3 of a pound. Dont hold me to this until one is made and weighed.

I cant get a weight for the rail as i dont have all the ule cuts in it. I dont need them all for the outside modeling.

edit: heres some views. Ignore the colors they are there so you can tell what is body(red) and what is rail(blue). also sorry for the so-so quality of the render.
http://www.spyderea.net/forum/uploads/cougar20th/xt2.JPG

Maghog
11-20-2007, 10:47 AM
I wish I could use this computer properly to show you what I mean, but you need to cut off the outside corners on the back end of the rail. The top víew proves it best, once you've done that, you've got a sound design.
Dan

angrysasquatch
11-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Maybe if you also stuck a valve in there, it would help you to visualize what maghog is saying. It's come a long way, great design :clap: :clap:

cougar20th
11-20-2007, 01:09 PM
i think i understand what he is saying. curve the backe of the rail to more match the body. Ill look into it.

Toll
11-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Looks great.

I have nothing more creative to add, but it looks pretty damn good.

Skiddz
11-20-2007, 02:29 PM
they look really good. i wouldn't mind picking up a body to make an RT mag with one. oooo emag would be tight with this body shape.

cougar20th
11-20-2007, 03:49 PM
they look really good. i wouldn't mind picking up a body to make an RT mag with one. oooo emag would be tight with this body shape.

The rail is based off a emag rail so the battery pack and such should line up as it would on a emag. I didnt mess with that area other than to add a relief to the side.

Ratt
11-20-2007, 09:20 PM
I really like them both. If you produce them, and they don't cost $400 like a Karta, then I would definately buy one...with or without the relief (but I think I like the one with the relief more...)

Russ
11-20-2007, 09:49 PM
no relief looks better to me

Mechanic79
11-20-2007, 11:07 PM
I love the second, side shot, picture of your 2nd design. It looks as though the valve can't slide in straight, yet the third image shows it is possible. That gives it a "trick" look.

If you have already decided to design around the body and rail being able to be sold apart from each other, ignore the rest of this post.

if not....

I think you should have the "relief curve" on the body, merge with the rail curve.

Don Carnage
11-20-2007, 11:39 PM
I love it.
Keep the relief.

cougar20th
11-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Relief it will be.

Especailly once i finalize the files. Im hoping (no promises) to get the body finalized today and get the info over to Jay.

The rail I can mess around with later as maghog suggested.