PDA

View Full Version : Survey for a starting a field

dyeforever
11-15-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm trying to get a field build on the west side of the island. But, before i go and propose a paintball field, i need to see if there is a want for a paintball field. so i need help in making a survey. what should i ask people and who should i direct my survey too. any help is greatly apperciated.

punkncat
11-15-2007, 07:57 AM
I think its a great idea....fly me out to play on it?

chairman_mao
11-15-2007, 08:01 AM
I would try to direct the survey toward patrons of the other fields in the area. You are going to want to identify that there is a critcal mass in the area where you wish to open a field. Also, you may want to include questions about people's feelings on the amenities and services you plan to offer. Another avenue is to survey patrons of local shops.

Remember: If you buuild it they will come. As long as it's quality.

d4m4don3
11-15-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't know if going to another field would be kosher with the field owner there so tread lightly. I would go to the local pb shops and survey the customers there and pick the brains of the owners as they might know more about the demographics of the area.

dyeforever
11-15-2007, 11:21 PM
yeah most of the survey would be direct more toward the west side of the island. i would go and ask players at the shops but there is no, local pro shops. kona did have a field a few years back but closed due to poor management. so hopefully many of the players are still here. here's what i've come what with so far:

have you ever played paintball?
Yes No

If No, would you like to?
Yes No

If Yes, how often do you play?

How much do you spend when you play?

How much are you willing to spend?

If you could, would you like to play more often?

What prevents you from playing more?f

what do you think?

Toll
11-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Personally I'd find all the fields within 100 miles and play each and every one. Talk to people, see what they have to say about the place, what they would fix...and then steal their ideas.

chairman_mao
11-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Do not give people so many open ended questions on the survey. Make it multiple choice this will give you data that is much easier to quantify. The more "feeling" type questions you ask the less likely you are to get useful information. Putting together a survey is a very difficult thing to do. If it is not done properly you run the risk of getting poor information.

DaFin
11-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Your questions so far seem to focus on revenue. I would be more interested in services and offerings if I where in your shoes and then examine the financial aspect taking those answers into account. For example, I would ask questions along the lines of ;

How many times a year do you play?
Would you like to play a "shoot-what-ya-brung" format allowing all types of markers in the same game?
Would you like to play a pump only format?
How many people do you like to have on each team, 3-10, 11-25, 26-50 or 50+
Would you like to play speed ball?
Would you like to play woods ball?
Would you like to play both in the same play session?
How long a play session would you prefer 4 hours, 6 hours or all day?
Would you like a staging area with tables and lockers or do you play out of the back out your car/truck?
Would you buy field paint if it where typical quality and price to a local pro shop?
Would you need air/C02 fills during the day and if so 4500 psi hpa, 3000psi hpa or C02?
Would you play in a scenario game?
Would you play in a big game?
Would you play in a tournament?
Would you play in a league?

After getting these answers you can get a feel for how many games you'd have to have running and can better project staffing levels to efficiently run them. Also for fills, you should be able get some cost information on running the compressor and staffing fill stations.

Once you have a good idea on the general design and staffing levels then you can use that info along with your other cost information like rent, insurance, etc. to create proforma financials and determine the feasibility of your venture estimating attendance levels and charging patrons what they would have already they would pay or what you would believe they would pay. And after that is all done ......It's in your hands.

**Edited to add a couple more questions just after I posted :tard:

Smoothice
11-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Pitch it as a tourist attraction. I was out on the west side of the island and if there had been a field there I would have played on it.

I think you shoud do your survey to see if there is interest.

But also remember tourists are lazy and plentiful. Talk to the little travel kiosk type guys and see if they have any interest.

I'm sure they could put a package deal together with some other extreme sports.

Maybe put together a mock flyer for them to see.

dyeforever
11-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Yeah, pitch it as a extreme sport activity for the tourist is a great idea. Kona have cruise ships in everyday or so, if there is a big interest i think most of the field income would be form tourism. Heck, konas' main income is tourism.
Also how about pitching a field as a team building event for big company and such?