PDA

View Full Version : Is pump that fun?

kylyo123456
11-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Hey guys here is the dillema; I don't want to spend that much money on a gun. In my price range what I want is either a nice phantom or a classic pnuemag.
Pump is appealing, phantoms looks nice, and i would save A LOT on paint which is real nice. This would be my one and only marker, is pump fun enough to be the only type you play?
I do really like moving around on the field a lot and I have heard that is the way pump should be played!

Tell me if pump rules, or if I should make a classic into a pnuemag!

I should probally mention, because I think it might make a difference, the field I play at typically has a fairly large walk-on group (at least 25+) and we do play speed ball at least a few times in the day.

wetwrks
11-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Pump is definately fun and you will learn to manover like a ghost. You will learn to aim rather than spray and pray. It will form a very strong foundation on how to handle yourself during faster based play. I always recommend that a new player (with us) start with a pump.

That being said, it really sounds like you should head the other direction. If the group (or field) you play with does speedball regularly then you probably should do the pneu. Pump can be quite frustrating in speedball. i have seen few who can handle themselves well in speedball while playing with a pump.

ElGringo
11-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Get a Cocker and a Pump kit.
You can go back and forth as you see fit.
You can pick up a new Trilogy off of Ebay and a Pump kit for under $125

TheTramp
11-15-2007, 05:44 PM
If you are an experienced player then playing speedball against walk-ons with a pump it totally doable. If they are also experienced you might have some problems.

Why not get a Sniper II style pump. They are inexpensive and then you could also have the pneumag.

kylyo123456
11-15-2007, 05:50 PM
If you are an experienced player then playing speedball against walk-ons with a pump it totally doable. If they are also experienced you might have some problems.

Why not get a Sniper II style pump. They are inexpensive and then you could also have the pneumag.

Two markers instead of one...that isn't a bad idea if I find some good deals!

DevilMan
11-15-2007, 05:53 PM
I would def get 2 guns.... I've got about 10 myself... :D hehehehehee But yeah have both so you can spray when you want or you can snipe when you want...

I play a mix of all of it. From pump to electro's... depends on the mood I'm in.

DM

going_home
11-15-2007, 06:14 PM
I played pump last week.
Its was a lot of fun. Played all day on a bag of paint.
Get a cheap Trilogy and go to http://www.pmpind.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1073
and get a Trilogy pump kit, and get the pump grip too.
The PMP Trilogy conversion kit has the pre-bent pump rod and is well worth the extra money
not having to try and bend the rod. And the pump grip is awesome too, you dont have to loose
your aim to cock the marker.
A friend just converted a Trilogy and he played last saturday for the first time.
He loved the marker and pump play.

Smoothice
11-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Two markers instead of one...that isn't a bad idea if I find some good deals!

Yes pump is that fun. I turned my classic into a pneumag. I thought the more I shot the more fun I would have. It didn't work. I still wasn't any better. Saw a bunch of guys playing pump in a speedball game and they were ripping faces off witih 1 shot. I went out and picked up a sniper a week later.

I now enjoy playing pump more then semi. Especially speedball!! If the field you play at has a lot of heavily wooded areas then I don't recommend only having a pump. It is too difficult to shoot through the brush and trees 1 pump at a time. A autococker with pump kit might be good for this. Just switch out depending on the field of play.

\Shameless plug
Pm me if interested. I have an 02 right feed sniper with wgp pump kit and hitman mod. I also have all the pneumatics to put it back to semi. You can switch everything out in about 10 minutes once you get it down. I also have a shroud (plastic thing that covers the pneus.
/shameless plug

viper-mayhem
11-15-2007, 06:27 PM
You can hold your own if you are an experienced player. I played pump against a bunch of walkons and held my own till I was the last player out on my side. I also went thru 1 hopper and 3-100 rd pods while taken on 3 electros. Here's the trick with pumps, you cock and aim behind the bunker before you pop out and take the shot. After the first shot, automatically pump the marker for the next shot so that you can snap shoot with 2 shots vs. 1.

NoLifeLeft
11-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Pump is super fun but it would be limiting to make that your only gun. I would look for a cheap Sniper or a Tracer/Hornet as a second gun. Tracers usually can be found for about $50 and do a decent job.

For the record, I own 10 guns. Three of those are pumps. :shooting:

kylyo123456
11-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

That trilogy pump kit looks nice. I do like the small looks of the Phantom though. Are Phantoms worth the extra money? I figure a could get a cheap trilogy and the pump kit for 100ish and a Phantom for 200ish.

NoLifeLeft
11-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Thats why I suggested the Tracer. Its a Nelson valve design like a Phantom but far cheaper while still being of decent quality. A good choice if you are unsure of your commitment to pump. I own a Phantom, they are great and it is one of my guns I will never sell.

warbeak2099
11-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Thats why I suggested the Tracer. Its a Nelson valve design like a Phantom but far cheaper while still being of decent quality. A good choice if you are unsure of your commitment to pump. I own a Phantom, they are great and it is one of my guns I will never sell.

I'd recommend a used ACI Maverick instead. Same gun, but it's the newer version so chances are the one he buys will be a little bit newer.

NoLifeLeft
11-15-2007, 07:17 PM
I'd recommend a used ACI Maverick instead. Same gun, but it's the newer version so chances are the one he buys will be a little bit newer.

Thank you. I couldn't remember the name of the ACI model for some reason even though I used to sell'em. :tard:

Lomarandil
11-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Yes, Pump is that much fun.. So much so that I took the disadvantage of lower firepower to use a pump in the SPPL this year (two seperate qualifiers, playing for 5 teams total).

Now, in very thick woods, playing pump is tough.. very much so. On more open woods/scenario fields or speedball, I find that I can hold my own against 1 electro, often times even two. Your shooting and movement skills will increase exponentially. You will become much more aware of your situation. And you will have a blast doing it (something about the underdog factor that gets the adrenaline going).. Heck, we even put an all-pump team in a tournament the other month, even made it to playoffs... It was great.

It can be humbling at times, sometimes it'll seem like you don't stand a chance..but if you can stick with it just long enough to get a hang of the basic concepts, you'll have a hard time going back.. I just got my Pnuemag in the mail the other day.. sure it feels great.. but I have a feeling I'll still be playing more with my Phantom.

Now, in regard to which to get. I personally do not like Snipers or Sniper clones (autocockers converted).. To me, if you are going to be playing pump, you really want to play to your advanteges, speed and a light gear kit. Snipers, especially with a tank and hopper, feel far too bulky for me. I love my Phantom, it's very light and tight. However, as they have said above, if you want to save a bit, ACI Mavericks or Trracers will be similar in feel and size.

Hope that helps..
Lo

going_home
11-15-2007, 08:40 PM
I personally don't like Phantoms.
Cocker pumps aren't as temperamental as Phantoms.
If you got the green get a CCM Series 6.
If not you can pick up a used Trilogy on Ebay for 50-ish
and get the PMP Trilogy pump kit (do get the pump grip while you are at it).
My friend just did that and really likes his.
Heres my S6 :

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/going_home/DSC_0003-6.jpg

With the pump grip:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/going_home/DSC_0004-8.jpg

craltal
11-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Not to seem predatory, but I have a trilogy that I converted with a PMP kit that I wouldn't mind selling along with all of the stock pneumatics (minus the hoses) if you'd be interested.

I already have two other pumps so a third is a bit redundant

Smoothice
11-15-2007, 09:43 PM
If I were you I would try some of the above mentioned guns before purchasing. Phantoms are light. To me they seemed too light. I also liked the pump stroke of a sniper better.

You will find most pump players are very willing to let others hold/try their guns. We're kinda like crack dealers ;)

NoLifeLeft
11-15-2007, 10:13 PM
We're kinda like crack dealers ;)

First time is free... but then you gotta pay. :rofl:

A friend of mine keeps a large box full of old pumps for that reason. Get'em hooked, keep'em coming back.

madcrisis
11-15-2007, 10:20 PM
im in the process of making my 98 custom a pump. i just have to figure out how to mount the pump handle and run the pump arm

cyrus-the-virus
11-15-2007, 10:39 PM
It's all personal opinon. Personaly I've found playing a game with a 50round hopper on a gun I' used to more fun than pump play.

but I'm still going to save for my pump mag. Gonna give pump play one more chance.

tebo
11-15-2007, 10:59 PM
I just bought a kingman hammer for 75 Shipped, it is very nice and should super fun to play with. I just go it today so i might take it out with in the next few weeks.

drg
11-16-2007, 02:33 AM
Pump is paintball so it's automatically fun ;)

ProblemKinder
11-16-2007, 02:36 AM
Is pump that fun?

yes

ProblemKinder
11-16-2007, 02:37 AM
Pump is paintball so it's automatically fun ;)

so is ramping :rolleyes:

siloseven
11-16-2007, 10:17 AM
I played with a pump for a year, and loved it. from woods, to walkon, to major secnarios, to touniment practice. but i had to sell everything for collage stuff, and now that I am back in full swing, I want another pump, preferably a pump mag.

neppo1345
11-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Pumping is more satisfying. I love seeing peoples jaws drop when I do a run through.

My Sexy:

http://homepages.uc.edu/~britttj/AO_SOUTH/medium/0001.jpg

Smoothice
11-16-2007, 10:46 AM
and here he is rocking that bad boy:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee302/smoothice16/DSC04406.jpg

neppo1345
11-16-2007, 10:50 AM

Sometimes I forget how sexy I am.

Justin didn't have to bring sexy back: It never left.

t0nnn
11-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Pumping is more satisfying. I love seeing peoples jaws drop when I do a run through.

My Sexy:

http://homepages.uc.edu/~britttj/AO_SOUTH/medium/0001.jpg

wow...what kind of body is that? i'm very jealous...very very jealous

:cheers: for an awesome gun right there

neppo1345
11-16-2007, 12:26 PM
wow...what kind of body is that? i'm very jealous...very very jealous

:cheers: for an awesome gun right there

It's an AKA VLM Swirl Cut. It's the only one that I've ever seen in my years playing.

Thanks for the compliment.

kylyo123456
11-16-2007, 12:49 PM
You guys are doing a good job convincing me to get a pump! My field is not heavily wooded so that sounds like it is a plus.
I read that someone mentioned that phantoms are tempermental, anyone else experience that? I really just want a gun I can pick-up and not have to worry about.

One more thing. Locally I have the chance to pick up a basic phantom for $50; hopper fed body and the air adapter goes off the back of the valve. Would it be smart to pick this up and eventually add the stock-feed body, vertical air adapter, and t-stock or just buy one for 225 plus shipping that is already decked out with all the goods?

Thanks guys

Smoothice
11-16-2007, 01:20 PM
i'm no phantom expert and personally don't prefer them but for $50 I will buy it if you don't

garbage_anus
11-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Pump is the only way to play after you play it for a while. You might find semi play to become "boring" if you try to switch back. Pump is like a Porche, Semi's are like a Ford Festiva. The Festiva just not as satisfying to drive once your use to a Porche.....

As for saving paint, I don't think it really happens, at least in my case. I end up shooting less paint with my Classic mag than with my SC Phantom or Series 6.....

kylyo123456
11-16-2007, 01:42 PM
As for saving paint, I don't think it really happens, at least in my case. I end up shooting less paint with my Classic mag than with my SC Phantom or Series 6.....

Well that is interesting! That was one of the big reasons pump was appealing. I hate dropping 60+ every time I go out because I go through a case of paint.

How much paint do you guys typically go through in a day of pump?

68magOwner
11-16-2007, 01:51 PM
I picked up my phantom a little over a year ago. At home I would use it occasionally, but, ended up playing semi more often than not. When I moved to raleigh, the level of competition is so much lower here (and therefore, the skill level of the average player), I found myself using my phantom more than anything else. Personally, I would NOT have a pump as my only marker, i think your best option is buying a cheap semi and a cheap pump and having a ball.

garbage_anus
11-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Well that is interesting! That was one of the big reasons pump was appealing. I hate dropping 60+ every time I go out because I go through a case of paint.

How much paint do you guys typically go through in a day of pump?

It's still less than a bag of paint usually though :p I still load my 200 round Revi/Pulse with 10 rounds tubes.

Oh, also look into a Blazer with a pump kit. They make pretty nice pumps too, and you still have the functionality of a great semi.

jenarelJAM
11-16-2007, 02:12 PM
I picked up a Sterling about 10 months ago. Until I got to college, it was all I played with. Immidiately, I started seeing the savings in paint/air costs, and I started realizing how much I depended on being able to shoot fast. I'm soooo glad I bought a pump.

Now, I've joined my college team, and pump play is a little out of the question. This weekend, however, we're not practicing, but some of us are going to go play recball and I'm taking my pump.

Pump = cheaper, more fulfilling hits, harder
Electro = competitive, more expensive...

I usually go through about 300 paintballs in a full day of pump. Compare that to a full case when I play with my Viking. I also play comp class, with a 3.5oz co2 tank and 10rnd tubes.

Also, playing speedball with a pump is definitely doable. I actually far prefer speedball (airball) to say... plywood and haybale fields, with a pump, because it's easier to move around and get the angles on people, especially if you've got good back players.

Assuming you can handle yourself on the rec field, my recommendation is to get the pump for sure, and if you ever decide to go for team play, think about getting an electro then. For rec, you really don't need anything that a pump can't do, and if you don't mind setting yourself at a disadvantage and working against it, pump play is a TON of fun.

//And don't be discouraged if you find yourself sucking your first few days with a pump. There is a definitely learning curve, especially if you're used to faster markers.

lew
11-16-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm going to go ahead and break away from the rest of the group on this one. I had a Sniper II and a WGP Ranger. I didn't enjoy using a pump nearly as much as I did with my mechanical semis. I did really well while using the pumps, but /i just couldn't get used to it. I don't shoot much anyway, so I wasn't saving a whole lot on paint. So, I sold the guns and made some money. :D

Smoothice
11-16-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm going to go ahead and break away from the rest of the group on this one. I had a Sniper II and a WGP Ranger. I didn't enjoy using a pump nearly as much as I did with my mechanical semis. I did really well while using the pumps, but /i just couldn't get used to it. I don't shoot much anyway, so I wasn't saving a whole lot on paint. So, I sold the guns and made some money. :D

It isn't for everyone. I have a group of guys I go out with every now and then and they just laugh at me.

Which is why I suggest borrowing a pump if possible before buying one. It may not be your cup of tea.

kylyo123456
11-16-2007, 06:21 PM
I am definately going to try it first before I committ. I am picking up a Phantom for $50 tommorrow and hopefully give it a test run before I put money into it to make it stock class. Is a ghost ring worth getting?

buzzboy
11-16-2007, 07:59 PM
I have tried to play pump speedball but all the times I play it seems that somebody that has $$$ just shoots a line on my bunker and takes me out. If I try to stay back, I'm useless. Wow, what fun. Thats just in 3v3's and other small games. When it gets big pump speed is fun. Then there is less attention to just you and you can really work on moving up the field without one person just training their sites on you. I have yet to play woods pump but I will tomorrow and I will tell you how it goes.

What I tend to do is keep my left over paint and when I am low on cash I play for a while on the couple hundred paint I have saved. 200 aint doing me much shooting 15bps going all out but it last a hella long time on the pumper.

Sumthinwicked
11-16-2007, 08:14 PM
simple get a longbow LOL get teh benifit of pumpplay but the backup semi if needed

GroovYChickeN 2.o
11-16-2007, 08:16 PM
You can easily play pump against some electro machine gun. I do it all the time. Pump play is more about timing and accuracy. Playing pump will also help improve your shooting and gun handling skills. Snap shooting is important no matter what you play. It will take time to get to the point where you will feel comfortable playing pump against anyone but don't let them fool you. It only takes one break to eliminate an opposing player. Well, if they are honest that is.

I find when I play pump I play smarter. I don't worry about how much I'm shooting as much as how well I move down field.

I always try to get people at the field to play pump. It doesn’t always work but I got Ninjeff hooked so I guess that’s something. Then again some people love it some don’t.
:cheers:

PumpMag
11-17-2007, 02:12 AM
Yes, Pump Pump Pump Pump Pump Pump Pump Pump! Is Fun!

Playing pump really forces you play the game not just shoot paint and empty your pods as fast as possible.

going_home
11-17-2007, 12:08 PM
I am definately going to try it first before I committ. I am picking up a Phantom for $50 tommorrow and hopefully give it a test run before I put money into it to make it stock class. Is a ghost ring worth getting?

I bought a unibody (body and barrel are 1 piece) Phantom just to try it and didnt like it.
But that being said, 50 bux is a great deal, I'd go for it.

Heres what you need to do, go to http://invisionfree.com/forums/StockClassPaintball
and look in "Regional Events" .
Find a group of players in your area to play with, or even just 1 person.
Its a lot of fun when everyone on your team is playing pump. A lot of fun.
They can coach you, and it helps make it more fun.
And thats what paintball is really all about isnt it ? F U N !

going_home
11-17-2007, 12:16 PM

Neppo do you find you have to shake the hopper once in a while using the Winchester ?
I used my Reloader II last time and it worked great.
I have a Winchester but have never used it, its got to make the marker a lot lighter, the Reloader holds 3 times the paint which is a good 2-3 games worth anyways.

Also the picture is really odd in that you have a 48 round hopper and you are carrying
4 - 140 round pods ?

:tard:

Smoothice
11-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Neppo do you find you have to shake the hopper once in a while using the Winchester ?
I used my Reloader II last time and it worked great.
I have a Winchester but have never used it, its got to make the marker a lot lighter, the Reloader holds 3 times the paint which is a good 2-3 games worth anyways.

Also the picture is really odd in that you have a 48 round hopper and you are carrying
4 - 140 round pods ?

:tard:

Actually he only had 1 pod with paint. Look closely. The other spots are empty

I have been seeing a lot of people doing that lately. Its a bit faster to fill the 50 round hopper with a 140 round pod holder. You can use the same pod to fill the hopper 3 times.

Much easier then getting out/uncapping/recapping 5 10/rnd pods.

going_home
11-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Actually he only had 1 pod with paint. Look closely. The other spots are empty

I have been seeing a lot of people doing that lately. Its a bit faster to fill the 50 round hopper with a 140 round pod holder. You can use the same pod to fill the hopper 3 times.

Much easier then getting out/uncapping/recapping 5 10/rnd pods.

But why carry 3 other pods ? Just something else hard for a ball to break on.
What about the hopper smooth, you use one ? Do you find you have to shake it sometimes ?
I tried a Sportshot and had to shake it about every 5 shots, very annoying.
I later was told I need to take it apart and file the lip off the inside of it where the 50 caliber sleeve goes.

Also I dont care for the color but the sunrise milling on the marker is awesome !

tebo
11-17-2007, 12:45 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/spyderballar92/DSC02135.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/spyderballar92/DSC02130.jpg
Just got it yesterday, its a kingman hammer. Hopefully I will be able to take out to play some in the enxt couple of weeks.

Smoothice
11-17-2007, 12:45 PM
But why carry 3 other pods ? Just something else hard for a ball to break on.
What about the hopper smooth, you use one ? Do you find you have to shake it sometimes ?
I tried a Sportshot and had to shake it about every 5 shots, very annoying.
I later was told I need to take it apart and file the lip off the inside of it where the 50 caliber sleeve goes.

Also I dont care for the color but the sunrise milling on the marker is awesome !

If you look close you will see the other spots are empty. The only reason I know this is because I took the picture in the first place.

I actually don't use the winchester ones. I use those cheap clear ones that come with the crappy talons at walmart.
http://homepages.uc.edu/~britttj/AO_SOCAL/medium/0056.jpg

I wrapped mine in duct tape and then electrical tape so it wouldn't break. From time to time I do need to shake the hopper. I have also heard that filing a groove really helps. I have not tried it yet but maybe one day.

PumpMag
11-17-2007, 11:22 PM
I tried the Winchester hopper once and did notice I had to shake it from time to time.

I've also used the 40 round hopper, like the one above from the Hammer which I like a lot. It tends to work well with my PumpMag because it has a groove inside. Drawbacks are if paint breaks inside it's very difficult to clean inside and you must use 10 round tubes.

I've stuck with the 40 round hopper for pump tournament use for the past 3 years, and it's now my favorite. You have to make yourself a custom neck however. Also, I notice that I'm less of a target to my opponents because of the slimmer profile and without the harness tubes on my back.

drg
11-18-2007, 02:54 AM
so is ramping :rolleyes:

What, you don't find ramping fun? Gimme a break. Anyone who says it's not fun per se is an elitist prick and is also either lying or playing the wrong sport. Now getting beat up by an obviously superior team who is ramping might not be fun, but competitive paintball is always fun. It has nothing to do with the kind of equipment being used.