PDA

View Full Version : Tac One Soundproofing

Mach1Muscle351
11-17-2007, 04:54 AM
I am working on soundproofing my Tac One and was wondering if anyone tried doing this before. Im basically trying to eliminate any noise leakage from the gun itself. I've got a q-bow setup because I love how low profile it is. I think its kinda funny that the longbow reciever has that gap between the reciever and feedneck, I mean yes even when it is sealed the sound still travel through the reciever and out the longbow mag/qloader tube. But im just minimizing it as much as possible. Just wondering if anybody else has tried this. Maybe some tips, comments, ect.

doc_Zox
11-17-2007, 10:12 AM
the theory behind this is pretty well known,
however there are "issues" with the BATFE's rather stringent interpretation of the laws.
:wow:

basically, you want to slow down the sound by making it transition thru several densities of materials

in my acoustics classes, we had a 110 decibel alarm bell that became silent
once it was encased in 7 layers, of foam lined wooden boxes

a fully silenced marker could be rather huge

the main sound signature propagation source will be the barrel,
although the feed system could easily be a coupled vector.

If you made the mag a fully closed manual bolt,
the recycle of the bolt would not leak sound into this system,
but it could still sympathetically resonate.

Toll
11-17-2007, 10:21 AM
to break it down : You're not going to get it quiet enough without having a huge rig. My buddy made a very good silencer but it was basically the size of a watermelon and heavy to boot. He loved doing the sniper thing so he had it up on a bipod/etc......regardless, you would require a very large container to try to muffle the noise.

punkncat
11-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Just wrap the entire marker in a huge king size comforter and go play.....
:rolleyes:

mostpeople
11-17-2007, 10:31 AM
the theory behind this is pretty well known,
however there are "issues" with the BATFE's rather stringent interpretation of the laws.
:wow:

basically, you want to slow down the sound by making it transition thru several densities of materials

in my acoustics classes, we had a 110 decibel alarm bell that became silent
once it was encased in 7 layers, of foam lined wooden boxes

a fully silenced marker could be rather huge

the main sound signature propagation source will be the barrel,
although the feed system could easily be a coupled vector.

If you made the mag a fully closed manual bolt,
the recycle of the bolt would not leak sound into this system,
but it could still sympathetically resonate.

:confused:

Warwitch
11-17-2007, 10:37 AM
:confused:

What part of that didnt you understand? And I thought you were smart.... :p

Seriously though. If you are truly serious about silencing your marker I suggest you contact the ATF about getting a permit. Its several hundred dollars and is not guaranteed. Contact Pneumagger, he just recently got one. He can give you the first-hand info :cheers:

pillage
11-17-2007, 05:15 PM
For the most part trying to silence a mark is not worth the headache. The pontential for legal headaches can be big, and getting some jail time would suck. One of my former co-workers got caught making slip-on mufflers for 22 rifles. He spent five years in jail for it. If you really want to be the sneaky, silent kind of guy, just shoot less. A single shot is definately harder to place than when someone opens up with a huge string of paint. :D

Mach1Muscle351
11-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Im not asking how to build a silencer or anything to put on the barrel, the BATF doesnt need to be contacted. Airguns arent firearms, and me quieting up my gun (feedneck, trigger, ect) is not in any way building a silencer.

The problem with silencers on airguns is that, in most cases they are easily modified to be placed on a firearm.

If you put a silencer on the barrel of most semi auto guns, it wont help all that much because theres alot more places for the noise to escape.

Building an actual silencer for the barrel is definently a project way down the road. This isnt my concern especially because I live in NJ and it would be very difficult to build an airgun muffler/silencer that couldnt be modified to fit on a firearm.

kruger
11-17-2007, 05:45 PM
If you really want a "silenced" marker, then you can go in two different directions.

1. You can engineer your mag and it will look like a rocket gantry when you are finished. Also, be aware that anything that you add to your marker, you will have to carry onto the field of play. And, yes, you do have to worry about the ATF. They have said that ANY device that silences, or reduces the sound signature of any projectile gun falls under their jurisdiction. So, if you take a coffee can full of insulation and attach it to your barrel, then you are in violation of the law.

2. You can buy a Dye Matrix. Cost anywhere from $180 to $350 depending on the marker "ups". You can tune a DM3 to near silent operation, but at the cost of efficiency. If you are trying to do the sniper thing, then efficiency is not a factor. The stock DM3's are one of the most underrated markers ever made.

I regularly get a snipe at players that have no idea where the shot came from.

My 2 cents worth.

Lomarandil
11-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Heck, I'm picking upa DM3 for $100 here...

:clap:

Lo

Mach1Muscle351
11-17-2007, 09:48 PM
If you really want a "silenced" marker, then you can go in two different directions.

1. You can engineer your mag and it will look like a rocket gantry when you are finished. Also, be aware that anything that you add to your marker, you will have to carry onto the field of play. And, yes, you do have to worry about the ATF. They have said that ANY device that silences, or reduces the sound signature of any projectile gun falls under their jurisdiction. So, if you take a coffee can full of insulation and attach it to your barrel, then you are in violation of the law.

2. You can buy a Dye Matrix. Cost anywhere from $180 to $350 depending on the marker "ups". You can tune a DM3 to near silent operation, but at the cost of efficiency. If you are trying to do the sniper thing, then efficiency is not a factor. The stock DM3's are one of the most underrated markers ever made.

I regularly get a snipe at players that have no idea where the shot came from.

My 2 cents worth.

Again I dont need to worry about the BATF. A paintball marker is not a firearm, therefore any silencing methods of the gun is not considered a silencer at all. However, the major issue with the BATF is silencers on the barrel (because its very easy to fit a paintball barrel over a gun and then it will be a silencer). Once again, I am not working on silencing the barrel. Just the marker itself, soundproofing the feed system is not by definition a silencer, nor can it be modified into a silencer in any way. Therefore, for the project that I am working on I do NOT need to worry about the BATF. I dont care for buying a new gun whatsoever, even if its 20 times quieter then a tac one. Im working with what I have here.
Thank you for trying to help though.

I am NOT building a silencer.

pillage
11-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Again I dont need to worry about the BATF. A paintball marker is not a firearm, therefore any silencing methods of the gun is not considered a silencer at all. However, the major issue with the BATF is silencers on the barrel (because its very easy to fit a paintball barrel over a gun and then it will be a silencer). Once again, I am not working on silencing the barrel. Just the marker itself, soundproofing the feed system is not by definition a silencer, nor can it be modified into a silencer in any way. Therefore, for the project that I am working on I do NOT need to worry about the BATF. I dont care for buying a new gun whatsoever, even if its 20 times quieter then a tac one. Im working with what I have here.
Thank you for trying to help though.

I am NOT building a silencer.
If you want to make your hopper quieter, you can always glue on some insulating 3/4" thick neoprene foam. It would make it's profile fatter, but you might get some more bounces off the hopper. :D

Mach1Muscle351
11-17-2007, 11:02 PM
If you want to make your hopper quieter, you can always glue on some insulating 3/4" thick neoprene foam. It would make it's profile fatter, but you might get some more bounces off the hopper. :D

I use a Q-Loader with a Longbow reciever, gotta love the low pro guns.

Army
11-18-2007, 01:34 AM
Old school way, was to slip a thick O-ring over the powerfeed to cover the gap.

You'll not eliminate the marker's normal "clack clack" of operation, and without suppressing the muzzle noise, it's a moot point anyway.

Just to clarify, BATFE does indeed consider a paintball marker a firearm when you mount a suppressor on it that can, within any reason, be used on a actual firearm....and they don't bother with semantics.

If it looks like a suppressor, and acts like a suppressor....it's a suppressor, and you'll go to jail.

Mach1Muscle351
11-18-2007, 02:58 AM
Old school way, was to slip a thick O-ring over the powerfeed to cover the gap.

You'll not eliminate the marker's normal "clack clack" of operation, and without suppressing the muzzle noise, it's a moot point anyway.

Just to clarify, BATFE does indeed consider a paintball marker a firearm when you mount a suppressor on it that can, within any reason, be used on a actual firearm....and they don't bother with semantics.

If it looks like a suppressor, and acts like a suppressor....it's a suppressor, and you'll go to jail.

"However, the major issue with the BATF is silencers on the barrel (because its very easy to fit a paintball barrel over a gun and then it will be a silencer). Once again, I am not working on silencing the barrel."

I understand that.. I really dont care about talking about silencers. Stop talking about the BATF and Silencers please.

"The definition of “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(24) provides as follows: The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication."

Once again I am not building a silencer, or building a device that could be modifed to be a silencer, I am simply sealing off areas on my gun where sound leaks from. And I do not intend to make a silencer without first contacting the BATF. However, I wont be doing that any time soon because I am not fabricating/building/making a silencer and dont feel like going through the trouble in making/obtaining one at this time.

Thats wrong....
"Noteworthy, the definition of “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” requires that the device be one for diminishing the report of a portable firearm. The device under consideration is permanently attached to and an integral part of a paintball gun, which is not a firearm as defined in the GCA or NFA. The device cannot be removed from the paintball gun without destroying the barrel and rendering the paintball gun unusable. Under these circumstances, the integral device is not a firearm muffler or firearm silencer."

Just read this http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=1211 because I dont want to talk about silencers and this is where I got the quotes from anyways, very well done by SwatOrNot. Especially since im not making one lol.

Warwitch
11-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Cant blame you for trying. But this has been discussed, at length, by and on every forum known to man. DONT DO IT!

Save youself the grief and just get the license. :rolleyes: They can do it for you over at SO. They can also make the silencer for you.

warbeak2099
11-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Go away you're being annoying. People have told you that what you're trying to do either can't work or is illegal and your response is that everyone else is wrong and you are right. Oh yea? Then figure it out yourself. Otherwise, take the discussion elsewhere, no one here wants to hear it.

MANN
11-18-2007, 02:09 PM
I have not read the previous 20 people, but it really doesnt matter what they said.

"Tac One Soundproofing" cant be done. end of story.

Warwitch
11-18-2007, 06:59 PM
New guy found a loop-hole....lol :rolleyes:

one_quick_ta
11-18-2007, 07:31 PM
I say.....QUIT HIDING! COME OUT AND FIGHT LIKE A MAN!

madcrisis
11-18-2007, 09:53 PM
s an endgame compression barrel is illegal? or a stfu thing?

Mach1Muscle351
11-18-2007, 10:55 PM
What liscense? Whats illegal? What loop-hole? Compression barrel?

I am not building a silencer, or a silencer to be put on the barrel, in fact Im not doing anything with the barrel.

Put a tac one under 10 pillows with the barrel sticking out and fire it. This is what im trying to do, not build a silencer. This in no way is illegal for it couldnt be modifyed in ANY way whatsoever to be put on a firearm. And could not silence/dampen a firearm.

skyless
11-19-2007, 01:05 AM
What liscense? Whats illegal? What loop-hole? Compression barrel?

I am not building a silencer, or a silencer to be put on the barrel, in fact Im not doing anything with the barrel.

Put a tac one under 10 pillows with the barrel sticking out and fire it. This is what im trying to do, not build a silencer. This in no way is illegal for it couldnt be modifyed in ANY way whatsoever to be put on a firearm. And could not silence/dampen a firearm.

Well im sound proofing my car, There is all sorts of sound proofing/damening material that is pretty compact and a wide range of materials, adheasive sheets and paint on stuff, secondskinaudion.com has some cool stuff, dont know if it would work well for a marker but check it out.
Just to help out i test my ule mag at my work where not much noise can be made and i just stick my barrel in some blankets and that makes it quite quiet, so dont know how much you can do without affection the barrel. Best luck

Army
11-19-2007, 02:07 AM
Understood, you are not quieting the barrel at all....which makes anything else moot. The muzzle report is still much louder than the marker operation.

Despite what you read on other websites...if a can suppresses, or "muffles", the blast signature of a gun, BATFE will call it a suppressor, REGARDLESS OF WHAT IT MAY BE MOUNTED TO. If it can in any way, conceivably be mounted to ANY firearm...OR PAINTBALL MARKER...it is illegal to POSESS without paying the $200 tax and aqquiring the appropriate license to posess, as long as they are legal to own in your state.

To sum........................just go play :bounce:

Mach1Muscle351
11-19-2007, 04:40 AM
Understood, you are not quieting the barrel at all....which makes anything else moot. The muzzle report is still much louder than the marker operation.

Despite what you read on other websites...if a can suppresses, or "muffles", the blast signature of a gun, BATFE will call it a suppressor, REGARDLESS OF WHAT IT MAY BE MOUNTED TO. If it can in any way, conceivably be mounted to ANY firearm...OR PAINTBALL MARKER...it is illegal to POSESS without paying the $200 tax and aqquiring the appropriate license to posess, as long as they are legal to own in your state.

To sum........................just go play :bounce:

Airguns arent firearms therefore the BATFE has no jurisdiction.

"Noteworthy, the definition of “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” requires that the device be one for diminishing the report of a portable firearm. The device under consideration is permanently attached to and an integral part of a paintball gun, which is not a firearm as defined in the GCA or NFA. The device cannot be removed from the paintball gun without destroying the barrel and rendering the paintball gun unusable. Under these circumstances, the integral device is not a firearm muffler or firearm silencer."

However, if one is building a silencer for a paintball gun, it could easily be modifiedd to fit a firearm, which it would then be in the BATFE's jurisdiction becuase its violating a law.

No worries though because im not doing that.

http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/revrule/rules/atf_ruling2005-4.pdf where this is quoted from, through the BATFE

BTW, ty skyless!