PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for financing a paintball club?

jenarelJAM
11-17-2007, 04:39 PM
So... a little history:
I entered College this fall, found out there was a paintball club on campus, joined, found out that there was a college team that ran the club, joined, and found that the members of the team really care less about running the club than they do about the team. Quite understandably. The team is practically newly formed and needs quite a bit of work. However, I personally really enjoy getting newer players out on the field playing, so I was essentially given full control of organizing the club. Just like that.

:eek:

So I have some ideas. First, I'm meeting with our local field owner (Micah from XSV) next weekend to discuss a possible discount for a club outing we're hosting on Dec 2nd. We'll be bringing probably somewhere between 10 and 20 people. In addition, a few members of the team have volunteered to arrive early, help set up the field, ref the field, and take down the field at the end of the day.
Is there anything else I can do for this specific (first) outing for our club? Costs, including rentals and a bag of paint, if there were no discount, would be $45 each.

I'd like to have an outing like this about once a month. I think it's completely doable. I'm surprised by how many people are interested in paintball in just my own dorm.

Next year, I'd like to get the active members of the club to pay something like $5-10 for "membership," starting next year, and with that membership they would get a club t-shirt that also possibly advertised for various businesses and an ID card, or perhaps membership would just require writing down ID numbers. The other benefit of "membership" would be a discount at the local field. I think the field owner might go for this, as he would be getting advertising around the local college campus and more customers. The $5-10 membership cost would probably cover the cost of shirts, and wouldn't go back to the field.

Eventually, I'd like to have the club purchase 6-10 cheap spyders(and masks, co2, hoppers), possibly broken rentals, have the team fix them up, and use them to help cut costs for the club even more. In addition to reducing rental fees, it would mean we could buy paint in bulk for the club from an outside source (there are quite a few places we can get paint for $30 a box here, compared to the $60 field price).

I'm a Freshman at college right now, so consider that I have the next three years to work on this as well.

Those of you who have been parts of paintball teams and clubs before, do you have any advice for me? I'm looking essentially for "sponsorship" and other feasible discounts. The easiest would probably be through the field, as most club members don't own their own gear, and so rentals, paint, etc. must all come from the field. Are there any incentives we, as a college paintball club, can give the field to get more discounts? Our advantage is that we will probably have more members than any paitnball team, which means more advertising capability, but also the club itself won't be playing in any paintball tournaments, so we won't be "inspiring" people to buy any gear.

What are the most effective club fundraisers I could get us into to help raise funds? These funds could go towards prepaying part of the next outing, towards club equipment, or towards team tournament costs, although the latter is my least favorite. Ideally, the club would be a low-key paintball environment where people could play paintball for fun, and if they wanted to get more intensely into it, they could practice with and join the team. The club would feed into and supply the team with new players year after year.

Please pardon any incoherencies as I'm still getting over a head cold and may not be talking complete sense.

spwz99
11-17-2007, 07:59 PM
check http://www.college-paintball.com/ the NCPA has lots of different benefits for college paintball clubs.

Enemy
11-18-2007, 05:06 AM
well the biggest thing is that you would have to be careful using your own paint and guns and still expecting the field to throw you a discount as you are undercutting the field itself... also becareful what you expect your team to do for you as my team is losely affliated with a field here in vegas and the team coach is constantly expecting my team to work for the field for free. which is rediculous as i want our players to concentrare on playing and not wasting time working for no compensation or "free" entry

[NA]WARLORD
11-18-2007, 06:21 AM
My former team in Md used to have dues payable by the year. However, since your in college and people come and go each semester, I would make the dues a semester thing. If you have people that will be at the college longer, let them pay an annual price, but at a discount rate.

For fundraising, try this site:

http://www.easy-fundraising-ideas.com/

Also, the old school car washes is a way to make some fast easy cash in need to buy the real cash cow fundraiser items. Food sales has always been the fastest easiest way to make money in our experience.

Go to your local Chamber of Commerce and find your local Jaycee chapter. Our old chapter used to pay 300.00 a night to help with Bingo. They used school band boosters and sports teams the most, but let us work there 2 nights a quarter.

Also, try and find local business's to sponsor you. This will cut down on uniform expenses, tourney fee's and equipment rentals. Also, your local paintball field may even sponsor you as well. You may try emailing paintball companies for equipment sponsorships, but I would try local companies first.

jenarelJAM
11-18-2007, 11:36 AM
The team wouldn't be reffing for the field. The team would be reffing for the club, on a particular day, with the field owners permission. The team is getting it's own discount other ways. Two of the members actually have jobs reffing at the field every weekend and get free admission and paint anyway.

Thanks for the fundraisers tips and website. I'll definitely take a look at those and try some of them out.