PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Touch or Classic?

daviselk
11-18-2007, 05:23 PM
So i my old ipod broke and i am just gonna buy a new one... but am stuck between 2, the ipod touch and the ipod classic

The touch i am looking at is...
Revolutionary multi-touch interface
3.5-inch widescreen color display
Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)
Safari, YouTube, iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
8mm thin
Ships: Within 24 hours
Free Shipping
$299.00
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b43/daviselk/ipodtouch-hero.jpg

the Classic is...
2.5-inch color display
4.9 ounces (140 grams)
2.4 x 4.1 x .41 inches
(103.5 x 61.8 x 10.5mm)
Ships: Within 24 hours
Free Shipping
$249.00
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b43/daviselk/product-black-classic.jpg

i dont know what one to buy? does anyone have any idea about what the ups and downs are, and how does the internet on the touch work?

any input is helpfull, for i got out of basic training for the marines a bit ago, and while i was in both of these came out, and i am now going into more training for infantry, so i havnt seen any of these before

Edit: keep in mind i only have 2 gigs of music on my comp, but wil be putting vids on these

Pzippy
11-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Classic. I admit, the touch is cool, but I don't need the extra stuff they put on it. With the classic, you can hold EVERYHTING you own on it.

CaptaiN_JacK
11-18-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm leaning towards the Touch because:
a) With only 2 gigs of music, you don't need the memory the Classic provides.
b) 3.5in screen is better for watching movies
c) The wi-fi is an awesome addition--Safari web browser is fast and easy. It's a lot like IE/Firefox--the transition is smooth
d) It looks and performs amazing

I tested a Touch at the Apple store and I was impressed. I too only have about 2 gigs of music, so memory isn't an issue. Movies take up a lot of space but how many movies do you need to store on the Touch at a time?

I'd go with the Touch, the Wi-fi is great and the touch screen works and looks great.

bentothejam1n
11-18-2007, 06:04 PM
My brother is a marine and he has broken two ipods in the field. Both times the screen has cracked and you cant see any thing. i would just go for the classic becasue it has the smaller screen

devildog
11-18-2007, 06:29 PM
i have an iPhone which basically a touch with a phone on it. I love the heck out of it. The Internet is great and fast. I did 5 years in the corps. As long as you take care of it it'll be fine no matter what you get. (I had an iPod on all 4 of my times in Iraq.

olinar
11-18-2007, 07:55 PM
if i was in your position id throw another $100 in the pot getting me a new phone as well. its a pretty nice little package. The iphone has pretty much everything youll be needing.

Cow hunter
11-18-2007, 07:59 PM
having used both extensively, i have to say, the touch is cool, but personally id go with the classic. if you're going to use it primarily for videos you have to take capacity into consideration... the classic is going to hold more. another thing to consider is the screen size, which is where the touch wins.... although i personally find it annoying how smudgy it tends to get.... also, theres battery life, where i believe the classic prevails. the one thing that the touch has that the classic doesnt is the wifi capability, which is very cool. on the software side, if you dont have itunes 7.5, it recognizes the touch as camera, and incapable of getting anything onto it. needs itunes 7.5, no big deal, but i found that it often requires a reboot to recognize it properly

edit: also, i think the iphone might be a good idea, id get one if cingular/at&t got better service in my area...

CKY_Alliance
11-18-2007, 10:26 PM
I would get a video (classic) because look at the price to Gigabyte ratio....the touch is only like 8 gigs right? For the same price as the touch you can get a video with over 4 times the memory.

Unless im highly mistaken..

devildog
11-18-2007, 10:49 PM
there is a 16gb itouch. the iphone is only 8gb.

trevorjk
11-19-2007, 01:31 AM
also, with the itouch, you get Youtube and other sites alot like youtube when EVER you want. streams plenty fast for the streaming videos

jenarelJAM
11-19-2007, 01:40 AM
I like nanos. But honestly, if you're willing to deal with the extra bulkiness, I think I'd rather go with the touch. Even though I carry around a laptop half the time, wifi from an ipod would be pretty cool. Then again, even though I can view video on my own ipod, my phone, or any number of other small devices I have, I realize that I need at least a 10" or so screen before I can actually watch something more than a 30 second clip.

I think it should really depend on what you need it for. If you like flash and gadgets, get the touch. If you like music, lots of music, get the classic. If you want something for jogging, get the nano (still holds a TON of music for its size). If you want a device that does everything, get the iphone. If you like videos, get a laptop (preferably non macintosh :p ).

imo.

beam
11-19-2007, 02:49 PM
I have two friends who both recently got new iPods. One got the mammoth classic and the other got the touch.

After seeing them both in action...I would recommend the touch.

The new features are totally worth it. The Safari browser really does work quite well. I've used PDA's to surf the net plenty and I have to say that the zooming feature of the touch makes it much bearable.

+YouTube videos at a touch of a button.

I know that disk size used to be the big thing, but I think maybe there is a move away from wanting to put "everything I own" on a single device.

Lomarandil
11-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Shuffle, cheap phone (either the one free with a plan or the next up), and another Mag! :clap:

Lo

Caboose
11-19-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm getting ready to purchase a 16gig touch just for everyday use. I have my microsoft Zune that holds 30 gigs but it's sooooo big. I'll keep the zune for travel and stuff because it has better battery life.

robnix
11-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Get the touch, then jailbreak it so you can run third party apps on it. I did it with my iphone and discovered just what a powerful device it really is. Having a full web browser is so nice as well. I was sitting in an airport last night, and didn't have to dig out my laptop to check my fantasy football league, nfl scores, and online banking. Video looks great, you can get about 6 full DVD's on there at excellent quality using handbrake to convert them.

Caboose
11-19-2007, 04:36 PM
The browser is the main reason I want to buy a touch. Looks incredibly useful.

Sidebar:
I'm still trying to find a free converter that converts files from .avi format to mpg or any other zune-compatible formats. Any ideas?

robnix
11-19-2007, 04:55 PM
The browser is the main reason I want to buy a touch. Looks incredibly useful.

Sidebar:
I'm still trying to find a free converter that converts files from .avi format to mpg or any other zune-compatible formats. Any ideas?

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

Use the settings for an Ipod classic.

When you sync the zune, it'll convert the file again anyway.

Caboose
11-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Awesome, thanks.