PDA

View Full Version : Why is the mag better?

Griffin
01-13-2002, 05:58 PM
My friend, Rhetor22, who owns a mag continually makes bizarre comments to me that I can't understand. I say that mags and autocockers run circles around m98's and other lowend guns. But he doesn't believe that and thinks the m98's are some how just as good. Please explain to me and him how the mags are better and outdo the m98's and such in every category. Thanks.

-Griffin

rhetor22
01-13-2002, 06:02 PM
Pros of a mag or cocker:
-consistensy
-size (for the mag)
-i guess looks if it matters to you

Pros of a m98
-lighter trigger than a mag
-lighter body
-PRICE

Tippmann has great customer service, they are very upgradeable. Cockers are quite upgradeable too.

I'd say for the price the m98 blows everything else out of the water.

We're talking about STOCK automag68 and a vertical or stock cocker.

Don't say accuracy because we all know thats BS.

clockworkmiller
01-13-2002, 06:18 PM
First off, ive held a mag, and a m98. There is no way in any possible way the mag wieghs more. Its uberlight for a paintball gun, while the hard casing of the m98 weighs is down.

Second, without upgrading to an RT or electric trigger, you wont get near the fire rate with a m98 as you do with a mag.

Finally, cockers need to be upgraded in order to be at tournament level, so do mags, and so do m98s. The difference is that a mag upgrade would be a Retro and an intelliframe (350) and a cocker would need a new bolt, whole front pneumatics, and a hinge. An M98 would need to upgrade both to LP and E Bolt. This would cost about 400 dollars.

This means that for 100 dollars more, you get a more reliable gun (ref. mag) with customer support as large as this. Its so worth it.

gibby
01-13-2002, 08:39 PM
Not that I'm on Ret's side...but I don't think this is a fair place for him to defend his theories. I say let him think what he wants and if he's happy with his gun, more power to him! People who bad mouth other people's gun shouldn't because we all play the same sport.

If you have fun with your gun, that's great. Cause it's more than likely another person is also having fun with a different gun so it's all good.

The more serious players are more cautious as to what type of gun they play with. Accuracy, consistency, and durability all factor in. Tippmans and AutoMags are both work horses and can take a beating.

When it comes down to upgrading your gun, the best thing one can do is to do research on what is needed and how much it will all cost. Upgrade, go out, and play hard.

And when all is said and done, we all play on the same field. No room for animosity for other players, it's all about having fun.

rhetor22
01-13-2002, 09:18 PM
I own a mag, and i love it. I think mags are excellent guns, i'm just trying to make my point that tippmanns aren't horrible. For some reason he thinks that an autococker or mag will blow a m98 out of the water. There are differences but it isn't like night and day or anything. We're just woodsball players, thats it.

I really do think that my mag is heavier than a tippmann, but i don't have one right now to compare it to.

It is true that most people on this forum are very mag bias, i am too :) But the model 98 is an excellent gun at a great price. Tippmann also has great customer support, just like AGD.

Cockers are great but you have to admit they can be a royal pain in the ***.

The mag valve is only 9bps isn't it? We're talking stock triggers, no electro crap, if the best tourny guy could only pull an electronic trigger at 12 bps, how could some one who has never played before out shoot a tippmann??

I'm trying to be as unbias as possible... well thats my opinion. I just don't want him to be puting too much money into something.

rhetor22
01-13-2002, 09:23 PM
wait gibby, i just read your sig... what kind of mag did you trade the saab for?!

gibby
01-13-2002, 11:26 PM
Hehe..just a regular classic, standard feed Automag. It was a fair trade as my Saab 900 was on its way down, and the guy who traded with me was willing to fix it up. At the time, I didn't think it was worth fixing my car anymore. I had blown a cylinder and from what I found out, the trany went out a few months later. From my experience, once a car is on it's way down, it only gets more expensive trying to fix it up.

Seeing how I was new to paintball back then, my friend said he'd be willing to trade because he knew someone who could fix up my car(which never happened). He used to be in a team so that only sweetened the package up some. It had an expansion chamber and a short brass barrel about 8", which I still can't figure out what it is.

Anyway, before I go on and on, in the end, I think I did the right thing. My old Saab was sold to a junkyard, but my Mag is still maturing to what it could be. :)

FooTemps
01-13-2002, 11:33 PM
I don't really know why a mag is much better than a gun other than simplicity and easy maintainance. I just took a particular liking the the automag series of guns and stuck with it. I still don't own a paintball gun yet but I will soon.

Yeah, sure I was looking into paintball a while back and I wanted a pirahna or a tippman but then I gave up trying for them. When I got interested in paintball again I wanted a spyder xtra. Now I want an automag. I really came out of my newb stage even though I have barely played. It's kinda weird but I "learned" my paintball experience.

Griffin
01-14-2002, 05:03 AM
FOO! What happened to your post count! Do they reset after 2000?

-Griffin

clockworkmiller
01-14-2002, 06:18 AM
Rob got mad at people posting just to boost their post count. So he reset Foo and MajorDamage.

FooTemps
01-14-2002, 09:08 AM
Yep, expect me to have 2000 more by the time spring break comes around. Then again it's gonna be harder to have meaningful posts and I probably will take more time messing around with my pb gun.