PDA

View Full Version : Hog Hunting

grEnAlEins
11-28-2007, 04:27 PM
I am going hog hunting in OK next weekend. I am doing it with bow and arrow. Does anyone have any tips/tricks/advise for me? Can anyone recommend a good broadhead?

:cheers:

Nick

MoeMag
11-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Bring a big knife.

Dend78
11-28-2007, 04:38 PM
the best broad head is the one you can get to fly straight out of your bow. it sux but thats the way the work, at least fixed blades. Spitfire makes some cut on contact blades that fly true like a filed point only problem is its expandable and it loses some energy on contact but still goes right on through. Muzzy seemed to be what most of the guys I went hog hunting with used. Key is find what flies the best for you same grain broadheads dont all fly the same.

how are you gonna go about it? spot and stalk? or stand hunt? the hogs i hunted didnt see that well but they can smell and hear very well. i did both when i went, the first part of it was stand hunting just because the hogs hadnt been hunted very hard, then after we whacked 5 the first morning in they took to the swamps, so we had to go to the swamp. biggest thing i can tell ya to do is practice practice practice with your bow, and have a great time

grEnAlEins
11-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Bring a big knife.

That has been arranged.

the best broad head is the one you can get to fly straight out of your bow. it sux but thats the way the work, at least fixed blades. Spitfire makes some cut on contact blades that fly true like a filed point only problem is its expandable and it loses some energy on contact but still goes right on through. Muzzy seemed to be what most of the guys I went hog hunting with used. Key is find what flies the best for you same grain broadheads dont all fly the same.

how are you gonna go about it? spot and stalk? or stand hunt? the hogs i hunted didnt see that well but they can smell and hear very well. i did both when i went, the first part of it was stand hunting just because the hogs hadnt been hunted very hard, then after we whacked 5 the first morning in they took to the swamps, so we had to go to the swamp. biggest thing i can tell ya to do is practice practice practice with your bow, and have a great time

You sorta hit on what I wanted to know. I have some broadhead that I use for deer (NAP Thunderheads) but I heard that a larger cutting diameter is the way to go for boar. I shoot 100gr. tips.

More specifically, my question is what is best Expandable or fixed? Cutting diameter? Blade count? Material? Brands that anyone likes?

I am going to stalk and stand. I like hunting other game both ways and assume it will be good for hogs too.

As for practice and marksmanship, I shoot well. I group tight. I cannot practice as much as I like to during the school year though. Bows are not allowed on campus and home is 300mi away :( I shoot really well though.

shives007
11-28-2007, 05:30 PM
I shoot birds w/ a guy who has bow hunted pigs a lot. Based on one of his stories...

...put the arrows point down in the quiver. He still has scars on his hand.

Shives

kopfjaeger
11-28-2007, 08:46 PM
I have been using Slick Trick 4 blade 100 grain with great success with deer. The animals never go farther than 20 yards. It really drains everything if you know what I mean. :) I don't know how they perform on hogs, but they sure do leave a nice hole. :)

Army
11-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Heavy shafts are required for pigs. There is a lot of bone and muscle, not to mention the gristle plate, that has to be penetrated. 50lb bow is a safe minimum, but you cannot have too much bow for pigs. Get your tracking skill up to date too, pigs are tough, and can go a long way with a shaft in them.

geekwarrior
11-29-2007, 01:55 AM
http://www.redorbit.com/modules/imglib/download.php?Url=/modules/news/upload/46d26e2bdb8f67c2c8e42a63ff283736.jpg

Dend78
11-29-2007, 09:36 AM
all of the pigs we shot went no farther than 50 yards, best shot is quartering away so you miss that big arse shoulder. from what i seen out of the 10 of us that went a guy using a 50lb bow (and older bow at that probably pulling around 45 now) got 6-8" of pentration on one, and 50 yards later we found it. we had one guy take a straight on shot that passed through nicely. most of the guys were set up like this, all new Bow Tech bows with carbon arrows, and most had Muzzies fixed to em. if you are thinking a mech blade check with the location you are going there may be laws or restrictions on what can be used. I was set up like this

Hoyt Supreme (80lb)
32" xx78 2512 (i think they are 2512, they are what ive shot out of the bow forever) super slams - big heavy aluminum shafts
Spit Fire cut on contact mechanicals

while i was there i put a nice kill shot on a tree :( its amazing what lil pieces of brush do to an arrows flight :rofl:

needless to say i walked a lot and killed a tree, although i did have a blast

grEnAlEins
11-29-2007, 12:02 PM
I should not have a problem at those distances as far as putting the arrow where I want it, so I got that going for me. I think I will be able to track them, it should not be an issue though because I am going with a group who has done it before.

Here is what I have so far equipment wise:

Old Hoyt 2-cam bow w/ 56 Lb draw at last measurement. I have shot up to a 72 lb. draw accurately and have shot an 85lb off of a stand (it was a bit too much for me at the time though (16 years old, four years ago)). I think I am going to up the poundage some, it is about time to anyways.

Carbon Impact arrows (carbon fiber shafts)

Thunderheads (NAP makes them). I am looking into new broadheads for this hunt. I was thinking either the Slick Tricks (kopfjaeger recommended these) or Xbow XPR or Aftershock mechanical heads.

I have a few more questions. I am going to use a scent neutralizer of course. What about attract scents? When do hogs "rut?" Should I even use an attract scent? I found a place that sells it. Also, do they respond well to grunts and distress calls? Primos makes some that I saw.

Altimas
11-29-2007, 12:18 PM
I shot one with a bow once and was chased about 50 yards back to my truck. There is still a dent in the side where it hit the side of the truck chasing me back. Good eating though!

The Action Figure
11-29-2007, 01:53 PM
If you dont use rage broadheads then your missing out. Also aim for the throat, and make sure if your not using rage you use a broadhead with maximum coverage. Hogs blood tends to coagulate faster than deer or smaller game because of the consistancy of thier fur.

grEnAlEins
12-11-2007, 01:11 PM
OH MY GOD!! I had a blast! Got one small hog, but it was a hoot. Pics to come. My group of 8 got 11 hogs all-in-all. :headbang:

behemoth
12-11-2007, 01:42 PM
you went with Soopa didnt you?

By the pictures we've seen, he goes hoggin' quite a bit.

grEnAlEins
12-11-2007, 02:12 PM
you went with Soopa didnt you?

By the pictures we've seen, he goes hoggin' quite a bit.
:confused: Nope. Never met Soopa before. I went with family.

behemoth
12-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Your lack of wit saddens me.

Dend78
12-11-2007, 02:47 PM
glad you had a good time, i loved it when i went

any other guys interested here is a good place ill plug, great prices and everything and its a blast, its cool getting to see all of the exotics they have running around there

www.antlercreekranch.com, let em know Big Shawn from indiana sent ya

devildog
12-11-2007, 07:15 PM
hmm, this thread is not about what i thought the title meant. anyone in the military will know what im talking about.

also known as "hogging"

bentothejam1n
12-11-2007, 08:14 PM
hmm, this thread is not about what i thought the title meant. anyone in the military will know what im talking about.

also known as "hogging"
got myself a nice 245 couple weekends ago

acropilot19
12-11-2007, 09:27 PM

also known as "hogging"

Never had to. I'm devistatingly attractive, and the hotties would walk right past the devil-dogs to get to us Air Force Flyboys any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. :cool:

behemoth
12-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Never had to. I'm devistatingly attractive, and the hotties would walk right past the devil-dogs to get to us Air Force Flyboys any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. :cool:

Somebody's been watching too much topgun.

93civiccpe
12-12-2007, 12:46 PM
except top gun was naval aviators.

FTL..

devildog
12-12-2007, 02:32 PM

No one goes hogging cause they have to. Its drunken game played for bragging rights. Obviously you have no idea what im talking about.

Kind of like gay chicken. Man i miss the military :(

behemoth
12-12-2007, 02:57 PM
except top gun was naval aviators.

FTL..

Who are you again?