PDA

View Full Version : Chinese prices??

klb311
01-13-2002, 08:31 PM
I'm going to China in March and I've heard that everything over there is like really cheap. My friend said there are dvds for like $3 and that he got a North Face jacket for $20-$30 that would be like $300 here. I wanna believe him, but I'm kinda skeptic, anyone bought anything real cheap over there?

Xzion
01-13-2002, 08:37 PM
well, Ive never bought anything there, but you could always check what the currency exchange is like at www.xe.com

FooTemps
01-13-2002, 08:45 PM
You have to find the right places to buy in china... I doubt you'd run across places that sell like that tough... The places I go to in taiwan are pretty hidden away from most general tourists and in china it is the same.

headcase
01-13-2002, 08:52 PM
There are 2 reasons things are cheap, 1) the product is made there, and it is being sold leagaly, or 2) it's made there and sold illegaly. I ran into the same stuff in Korea there can be problems with trademark infringement bringing some stuff back into the states. As long as you don't go crazy and bring 20 pairs of brand new pants or something back you should be OK.

FooTemps
01-13-2002, 08:55 PM
and they try to pass of copies as the real things sometimes... Watch out for that and if you know their fake try to discuise them as real so you don't get busted.

Sir. Foxalot
01-13-2002, 09:06 PM
When I went to china everything was sooooo cheap it was funny it was a. exchange rate and b. you can bargain like crazy it was great lots o fun!!!!!

FooTemps
01-13-2002, 09:07 PM
If you think it was cheap you were probably ripped off... My dad bought a tea pot for cheap at one store and then bought one that was 10 times nicer for half the price...

Sir. Foxalot
01-13-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by FooTemps
If you think it was cheap you were probably ripped off... My dad bought a tea pot for cheap at one store and then bought one that was 10 times nicer for half the price...

Sorry to hear that but I got real good quailty stuff but... it wasnt stuff that I was looking for in like the US aka jackets tea pots stuff like that... it was Jade and cultural stuff. Plus being an American can be a big plus.

FooTemps
01-13-2002, 09:25 PM
Yeah? My dad got emerald aniverary rings too! We already buy a lot of jade and we're really cautious of fake jade so my didn't buy there.

Sir. Foxalot
01-13-2002, 10:07 PM
Very cool Very cool yeah my parents are like jade mainiacks(sp? and they took us to a jade factory too... actually pretty interesting but anywase back on topic...
Prices n China you will find fairly decient but do beware of cheap stuff

FeelTheRT
01-14-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by klb311
I'm going to China in March and I've heard that everything over there is like really cheap. My friend said there are dvds for like $3 and that he got a North Face jacket for $20-$30 that would be like $300 here. I wanna believe him, but I'm kinda skeptic, anyone bought anything real cheap over there?

there are several reasons. One of which is because many US products are manufactured in China so take off the exporting price and there ya go. Another possibility is they have different currency so make sure you figure it right. BTW, they do'nt use dollars, they use yan which. One (1.. ddaarrr) dallar is about eight point three (8.3) yan. And finally, thanks to my most favorite azn store, the black market. They sell fake stuff in result of cheaper products and high profits in a short amount of time.

FooTemps
01-14-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by FeelTheRT

there are several reasons. One of which is because many US products are manufactured in China so take off the exporting price and there ya go. Another possibility is they have different currency so make sure you figure it right. BTW, they do'nt use dollars, they use yan which. One (1.. ddaarrr) dallar is about eight point three (8.3) yan. And finally, thanks to my most favorite azn store, the black market. They sell fake stuff in result of cheaper products and high profits in a short amount of time.

How is the chinese currency spelled? is it yuan or yan?

agdplayer
01-20-2002, 01:38 AM
I think it's YUAN