PDA

View Full Version : The automag classic: better than...

rawbutter
12-03-2007, 04:24 PM
I have a little story that made me smile, so I thought I'd share it.

I went out yesterday to play woodsball with a few friends. It was about the worst day for paintball that I've ever had. It was about 40 degrees outside... and rainy. Pretty much everyone broke paint and had CO2 troubles... except for me. (Gotta love the pneumag with LX on HPA!)

Anyway, this guy Elmer was playing with us... his second time ever. I let him use my spare classic mag for the first few games until it chopped a ball and started misbehaving. Rather than spending the time to disassemble/clean the gun, he switched over to a spare autococker that my friend has. After a game, that gun went down, and Elmer switched to a newish Spyder.

The part that made me smile was this. When I first gave him the mag, he looked at me weird like, "You expect me to play with that?" While we were walking off after the last game, though, he comes up to me and says, "I wish I could have used your automag all day. I liked it so much more than anything else."

Granted.... he wasn't comparing it to an Angel or a Mini, but it still made me smile. My fifteen-year-old classic is better than a newer Autococker or Spyder!!! :shooting:

tech-chan
12-03-2007, 05:19 PM
I have a pistol setup, and its smaller than my 45/3000. I had at least 5 people ask me if i forgot my barrel.

ravenlord
12-03-2007, 05:32 PM
I loaned my classic to my brother, he then went out and bought a classic.

These things may be old but they are still the best mechs on the market. (Blazers and cockers come close)

FiXeL
12-03-2007, 06:07 PM
My minimag is used as a loaner if i don't use it myself. People that used it liked it very much, and one of our regular field players wants a mag because of this.

warbeak2099
12-03-2007, 06:09 PM
That's why I'm using a Classic valve in my Sleeper G-Force Pneumag. I can't out shoot 16bps on semi and they're tough as nails. Can't wait to surprise the crap out of people when they realize I'm belting out a stream of 15bps with a CLASSIC MAG!!!

rawbutter
12-03-2007, 09:14 PM
That's why I'm using a Classic valve in my Sleeper G-Force Pneumag. I can't out shoot 16bps on semi and they're tough as nails. Can't wait to surprise the crap out of people when they realize I'm belting out a stream of 15bps with a CLASSIC MAG!!!

You need to buy one of those barrel cams so you can get pictures whenever this happens.... and it's going to happen a LOT.

warbeak2099
12-04-2007, 07:08 AM
The problem is, I'll get one or two people a night when I go play who know what the hell a mag is lol. The rest are like, "whut kind of gun iz dat?"

phizz
12-04-2007, 04:08 PM
I love my mag in crappy weather. It has been starting to snow here, and the mags still run without hesitation, the ICD, Protos', Smart PArts , Spyders, and even some tippy's were leaking and having all sorts of problems.

Long live the mag! :)

SummaryJudgement
12-04-2007, 05:01 PM
I remember when a classic with an upgraded barrel and an expansion chamber was considered hot stuff. The mech classics were always reliable, and I would always envy my mag carrying buddies when my stock 96 cocker would act up.

Yeah, even if the classic is an "older" mech, it should still perform like a champ!

Glad to hear someone appreciates it!

cerrik
12-04-2007, 05:26 PM
I remember back when Mags cost $600+ Always heard they were hot stuff back then. Don't really hear that in mainstream today. Still held onto that lust for a Mag. Finally got one. It was like butter! So, now I'm getting another one. Pure sweetness. As far as Mech's go. I wouldn't ask or want for anything else. Specially with all the problems my group has with our electros. Now days even the smallest gear problem sets me off. Those don't exist now that I'm using Mags. They ROCK! :headbang:

Bagheera
12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
I remember back when Mags cost $600+ Always heard they were hot stuff back then. Don't really hear that in mainstream today. Still held onto that lust for a Mag. Finally got one. It was like butter! So, now I'm getting another one. Pure sweetness. As far as Mech's go. I wouldn't ask or want for anything else. Specially with all the problems my group has with our electros. Now days even the smallest gear problem sets me off. Those don't exist now that I'm using Mags. They ROCK! :headbang:

Mine cost nearly $600 "back in the day", with the custom machining fresh out of the paintball shop. Before, I had a cheap marker that I bought for less than $200 that crapped out the first day I used it. So, I went ahead and dropped the nearly $600, played with it for another two years, and never regretted my purchase. Even though classics are a helluva lot cheaper now, I still don't regret it.

back in '92 or '93, when I purchased my mag, it came down to either mag or cocker. Everyone told me to get cocker, they were used in tourney play, tourney modded cockers were so high quality that they often cost $2,000 or $3,000 and therefore were higher quality than mags, yadda yadda yadda. Then I looked at the fact that mags used WAY fewer moving parts, were field strippable, durable, and accurate, so my choice was made.

Went mag and never looked back. :cheers:

cerrik
12-06-2007, 10:09 PM
I detoured in Spyder land. Served me well for long enough... then sidetracked to Ion-world and only dropped $150 on it. My Mag, cost me even less than the Ion did... and I've bought 2-3x the price of the Ion in Mag upgrades since then. So after about $600 or so, I'll have 2 mags, almost 3. But there is a Z-grip a Y-grip and a Warp feed among those mags :cool:

Now I'm an Automag :ninja:

Gonna get rid of my Ion too, once i can justify an X-valve to the Wife :dance:

cerrik
12-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Oh man. Today was fantastic. I went and played with my Y-grip'd, Warpfed Minimag and at least 10-15 ppl looking it over, up and down like their momma don't feed them. They asked about it and most questions were "Is it accurate?" And those that didn't ask, I could hear talking about it as I passed by them.

The best story is the third game where me and an opponent had each other pinned down and after wards, he told me my setup was so tight all he ever saw was a quarter of my mask and the barrel of my gun. Said there was like less than a square foot of target he could see. Said my shots where humming him. And I did end up nailing him in his marker and goggles.

All I ever saw was a hail of paint swarming at me and hitting my bunker as I ducked back behind it. He was using an Ego... :D

I truely was a :ninja: today! :clap:

chefomar
12-08-2007, 11:37 PM
That is great men. I'm working on a classic mag i got on e bay and i want to get her rockin. Unfortunately it didn't went so well for me last weekend when i played speedball, anyway i did kicked some a.. when we played woodsball
Oh man. Today was fantastic. I went and played with my Y-grip'd, Warpfed Minimag and at least 10-15 ppl looking it over, up and down like their momma don't feed them. They asked about it and most questions were "Is it accurate?" And those that didn't ask, I could hear talking about it as I passed by them.

The best story is the third game where me and an opponent had each other pinned down and after wards, he told me my setup was so tight all he ever saw was a quarter of my mask and the barrel of my gun. Said there was like less than a square foot of target he could see. Said my shots where humming him. And I did end up nailing him in his marker and goggles.

All I ever saw was a hail of paint swarming at me and hitting my bunker as I ducked back behind it. He was using an Ego... :D

I truely was a :ninja: today! :clap:

chefomar
12-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Hey men that's a nice story. Last weekend i went to a local field with a classic mag i got on ebay like a year ago and a lot of people would come and ask me what gun was it? A lot of the younger players didn't know about the Mag. Anyway i had been out of paintball for about ten years but im planning on playing more now, the mag is still a great gun and it worked just fine for woodsball. I can not say the same for speedball but i'm in the process of making my classic a Pneumag so that way i'll be able to keep with the faster electro guns. :shooting:
I have a little story that made me smile, so I thought I'd share it.

I went out yesterday to play woodsball with a few friends. It was about the worst day for paintball that I've ever had. It was about 40 degrees outside... and rainy. Pretty much everyone broke paint and had CO2 troubles... except for me. (Gotta love the pneumag with LX on HPA!)

Anyway, this guy Elmer was playing with us... his second time ever. I let him use my spare classic mag for the first few games until it chopped a ball and started misbehaving. Rather than spending the time to disassemble/clean the gun, he switched over to a spare autococker that my friend has. After a game, that gun went down, and Elmer switched to a newish Spyder.

The part that made me smile was this. When I first gave him the mag, he looked at me weird like, "You expect me to play with that?" While we were walking off after the last game, though, he comes up to me and says, "I wish I could have used your automag all day. I liked it so much more than anything else."

Granted.... he wasn't comparing it to an Angel or a Mini, but it still made me smile. My fifteen-year-old classic is better than a newer Autococker or Spyder!!! :shooting:

rawbutter
12-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Hey men that's a nice story. Last weekend i went to a local field with a classic mag i got on ebay like a year ago and a lot of people would come and ask me what gun was it? A lot of the younger players didn't know about the Mag. Anyway i had been out of paintball for about ten years but im planning on playing more now, the mag is still a great gun and it worked just fine for woodsball. I can not say the same for speedball but i'm in the process of making my classic a Pneumag so that way i'll be able to keep with the faster electro guns. :shooting:

Awesome! Welcome to AO.