PDA

View Full Version : Old School question

azmtnpa
12-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Hello all, just returning to paintball after an 8 year vacation and just purchased a used automag probably made about the time I left the sport. The problem I am having is that is that the barrel assembly lock is to long making it hard to remove/attatch the barrel. It has a stock barrel in pretty bad shape and I am going to upgrade but I need to know how can I replace this part or is it feasible to shave it a bit with a dremel? Also I remember automags nedding a foamie on the bolt and this one doesen't have one is it a nedded part? (What can I say I used to shoot an autococker)
Thanks in advance for any help

druid
12-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Hello all, just returning to paintball after an 8 year vacation and just purchased a used automag probably made about the time I left the sport. The problem I am having is that is that the barrel assembly lock is to long making it hard to remove/attatch the barrel.

Welcome back...lol. I'd say that unless it's really and truly a problem to leave it go. Some barrels are a bit loose fitting and thus, 'unlock' at times.

It has a stock barrel in pretty bad shape and I am going to upgrade but I need to know how can I replace this part or is it feasible to shave it a bit with a dremel?

Get the new barrel before sanding the twistlock pin. You may find it locks better for you.

Also I remember automags nedding a foamie on the bolt and this one doesen't have one is it a nedded part?

well, there are a few different bolts and without a pic of it we couldn't really answer you. Is the foamie needed? Neh...not always but they are nice to have. You could skip that part and go right to a Level 10 (antichop) bolt and never have to worry about the foamy again...lol.

(What can I say I used to shoot an autococker)
Thanks in advance for any help

Mags are easier to tech than Cockers...lol.

azmtnpa
12-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah I remeber that when used to airsmith in milwaukee but looking at all of the new stuff out there is kind scary with all of the electronics. Thats why I bought some "old school" stuff that I think I can work on at home. I'll try and post a picture of the bolt.
Thanks

Coralis
12-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Here ya go Foamies (http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=441&categoryID=18) Rebuild kit (http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=7&categoryID=18) andBarrel twistlock assembly (http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=182&categoryID=92) that should set you up for awhile.

ThePixelGuru
12-05-2007, 03:43 AM
You don't really need a foamie, no. Many people don't use them, but they are a bit softer on paint.

As for the twist lock assembly, some have little set screws in the bottom of them that lets you adjust spring tension. Try that and see if you can remove the barrel more easily.

athomas
12-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Hello all, just returning to paintball after an 8 year vacation and just purchased a used automag probably made about the time I left the sport. The problem I am having is that is that the barrel assembly lock is to long making it hard to remove/attatch the barrel. It has a stock barrel in pretty bad shape and I am going to upgrade but I need to know how can I replace this part or is it feasible to shave it a bit with a dremel? Also I remember automags nedding a foamie on the bolt and this one doesen't have one is it a nedded part? (What can I say I used to shoot an autococker)
Thanks in advance for any helpThe twist lock assembly is rarely a problem unless it got bent. If it is too long, because it is spring loaded it will just retract into the assembly. Tightness is generally caused by something else. Make sure the barrel orings aren't binding and that the twist lock assembly is actually able to be pushed in. If the assembly is stiff, apply some light lubricant to free it up.

If you have a level 7 bolt, you will need a foamy if it is a foamy style bolt. If it is a foamyless style bolt, you are good to go without it. Consider a level 10 bolt kit. They will eliminate the chopping of misfed balls in the breach.