PDA

View Full Version : Help with regulator options

Foxworthy
12-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Ok, I own a Dynaflow Adjustable regulator and encountered a slight problem recently. A few of the threads inside the black regulator top have stripped so that the silver regulator adjuster top won't stay on with the spring or air pressure. I'm not sure I really want to spend money on fixing the Dynaflow as it just left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

So I'll be needing a new regulator and wanted to get some idea on my options.

Now The last time I used my Dynaflow the gauge said I had it set at around 750 PSI and I loved the way it worked, I couldn't get it to bounce and it was easy for me to walk it, not as easy and the ego I ran with for a bit but nice enough that I was happy.

When I used a HP Crossfire on my Mag I got too much bounce out of it so I think it was coming in at a bit too high of a pressure.

So I want a reg that puts out around 750 but probably not more than 800. I know the myths put out around 600 but I don't think that be enough to get it to cycle properly.

Anyone have any thoughts?

druid
12-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Ok, I own a Dynaflow Adjustable regulator and encountered a slight problem recently. A few of the threads inside the black regulator top have stripped so that the silver regulator adjuster top won't stay on with the spring or air pressure. I'm not sure I really want to spend money on fixing the Dynaflow as it just left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

So I'll be needing a new regulator and wanted to get some idea on my options.

Now The last time I used my Dynaflow the gauge said I had it set at around 750 PSI and I loved the way it worked, I couldn't get it to bounce and it was easy for me to walk it, not as easy and the ego I ran with for a bit but nice enough that I was happy.

When I used a HP Crossfire on my Mag I got too much bounce out of it so I think it was coming in at a bit too high of a pressure.

So I want a reg that puts out around 750 but probably not more than 800. I know the myths put out around 600 but I don't think that be enough to get it to cycle properly.

Anyone have any thoughts?

An older MaxFlo manifold (that huge engine-block of a reg) or the newer (still kinda 'old' in the grand scheme of things) MaxFlo in-line Manifold. Both are reputable regs and can still be rebuilt by Smart Parts to this day.

Look around the forum, I did a review of the Myth reg and it's not going to perform well on your Mag (it didn't on mine) if you plan on shooting 2bps or more. The Myth runs my upped Ion perfectly but that requires way less pressure than a Mag.
I think you'll be happier with the In-Line Maxy or any other HP Guerrilla reg (store doesn't list them though...dunno why either).

Foxworthy
12-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Are the newer Max Flo's adjustable? Or do they just put out sub 800 PSI?

angrysasquatch
12-12-2007, 09:58 AM
The max-flo micros are not officially adjustable, but I've heard you can adjust something when the tank is off the regulator to change the pressure. The older ones, fully adjustable. Just don't buy a low pressure one, they made 'em with high or low pressure spring kits, the low pressure too little to operate a mag.

Or you could get an Armageddon, I'm running one right now, the adjuster is stainless threading into stainless so there won't be any of the problems you had with the Dynaflow.

If there's enough metal left on your Dynaflow, you might want to try giving a helicoil a go.

Foxworthy
12-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Yeha it could be helicoiled but it probably be a bit cheaper to just replace the stripped part. Fixing the dynaflow is the last thing on my list right now due to the fact I'd hate to fix it and have the same problems.

Though it will probably be the simplest since it doesn't seem like I'll be able to find a fix output reg in the 750 range.

Armeggedons are only available used these days thought right?

angrysasquatch
12-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Yep, only used :( Weren't the Dynaflows adjustable? Why not get another adjustable tank, that way, you can change the bounce with the pressure. Bounce is more complicated than just pressure, it's also got something to do with the recharge. Thus if a pure energy tank and a crossfire tank put out the same pressure, the bounce isn;'t neccasarily the same. If you were to use an adjustable, you could just fiddle till it felt right.

If you're looking new though, pretty much all adjustables are quite expensive.

Foxworthy
12-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Its not so much expense, fixing the dynaflow is forty bucks really. Its more I want to get something that I don't need to worry about whether it works or not. Out of the four or five times I've played since I got the dynaflow it worked once. I had problems with gauges, removing macro fittings, replacing the spring and now the reg top stripping. Its just a lot of bad luck with it so it makes me a bit nervous.

I know bounce is more than just input pressure, but if a tank puts out the same pressure as another tank and I haven't changed my Mag set up I should have the same bounce.

The Armageddon is a good option though.

snoopay700
12-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Why put a reg on a gun with a reg?

Foxworthy
12-12-2007, 04:27 PM
We're talking about tank regulator to regulate the HPA coming out of a compressed air tank. Though I guess I should have put tank regulator options to avoid confusion. Sorry about that man.

snoopay700
12-12-2007, 04:41 PM
We're talking about tank regulator to regulate the HPA coming out of a compressed air tank. Though I guess I should have put tank regulator options to avoid confusion. Sorry about that man.
Oh, makes sense, only ones i know of are the flatline or smart parts' reg, so yeah, that would explain why i was confused. If i got one on my tank i would get it for the opposite reason you did though, to make it bounce.

Foxworthy
12-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Well the field I play at doesn't allow bounce or ramping to be used.

snoopay700
12-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Well the field I play at doesn't allow bounce or ramping to be used.
Well i don't normally do it, i do it just to show off, but never on the field, i feel it's cheating (which it is). Although, when i first got my RT, before the game started i went to shoot just one shot for a sort of target practice thing that people have become accustomed with at my field, and next thing i new 5 shots went off in the time it took to shoot one, and the gun traveled upward cause i didn't expect it. This happened with a revy and an 850 psi output tank, no clue how it got those shots out that fast.

angrysasquatch
12-12-2007, 08:40 PM
You could always get a ULT kit if you want no bounce. You can put 1200 or so PSI into your valve and the ULT (tuned properly, of course) won't let it do anything silly. You also have the benefit of a shorter, lighter trigger pull. I was under the impression that you wanted a little bit of controlled bounce, which is very hard to hit the sweetspot of with a preset.

EDIT: Ah, crap, I responded to you thinking you were the original poster. Oh well.

Foxworthy
12-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah I use the ULT so I could play around with that and a preset to get what I need. I just hate experimenting since I worry a bit too much.

angrysasquatch
12-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Was just perusing the BST's and found something you might like. NIB flatline. How can something AGD go wrong?

http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224047

I do not have any affiliation with the seller, just trying to give you a nudge toward quality :clap: