PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions about masks...

Stayhuge
12-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a new mask. I currently am using DYE invisions. Just bought a new lense for them, and they are working well, but the major issue that I have is that I sweat a ton, and they still fog up pretty quickly. They are Thermal lenses, and I also have the fan to go with them. One thing that really annoys me is the complexity to get the lens out. My question is what other masks are there that people would recommend? Looking for something that vents well, easy to maintain and clean, and won't fog. I have been playing for over 12 years and my first pair of goggles were JT Spectras. I loved them, but even they were a pain to take the lenses out. Anyways, I appreciate any advice. Thanks everyone. Oh, I should mention that I plan to still use the Invisions, either as a backup or primary, so the suggestions could be cheap masks that are simple and reliable, and perhaps could serve as a backup for when my lenses start to fog. Thanks!!

druid
12-11-2007, 10:53 AM
There are going to be people who poo-poo my next comment but I don't care... :headbang: ...

JT Whippersnappers. Old ones...from like 1985/86...as long as the soft ears are still intact...

My Snappers are by FAR...THE most comfy and breathable mask I own. It's somewhat true that the face plate is a little small and if you have a fat/chubby face, they may not cover you well....but if you have a slender face, they will. I, in particular, have a "long" face and the chin-plate juuuuuuuuuuust covers the bottom of mine but otherwise - they completely cover my face and are far enough away from my mouth to allow GOOD venting and NEVER fog - EVER. Throw a Thermal lense in as I did. JT Elite lenses fit perfectly. 4 screws in the original mask hold the old lense in place. The new lense will (likely) only require 2 of those screws (my new lense was that way) to hold it in place. New Thermal and tinted lenses are like $30 though.

I use them as my PRIMARY mask and anyone ever seeing me at Skirmish PA knows it. So long as the soft ears are still intact, every field I've ever walked on allow them.

I too have invisions but they are a couple years old and with brand new lenses. I still prefer my Snappers to the DYE for the exact reasons you stated...they still fog.

Warwitch
12-11-2007, 10:57 AM
I have been through everything from JT's, DYE, Proto, Vents and V-force. I wouldnt trade my Grill for any other mask on the market. Now of course this is personal preferance. But I know how it is here in SW Florida. Grill lens is super fast to change out (as well as your sweat soaked foam). The foam swap is a major plus here. The Grill also seems to pinch my nose less than everything but JT's.

I will agree with Druid about the Whippersnappers. Hardly anything there to restrict breathing. But not enough protection IMO.

mpsd
12-11-2007, 11:34 AM
I agree with Warwitch. I've used JT's for over 12 years, mostly being the Flex 7 (I've used Whippersnappers for a long time too). Those masks were super comfy, cool, easy for communication but they were also a real PITA to change or clean the lenses.

When V-Force started to get heavilly used here in Brazil I bought a set of Profilers for me. The were great but didn't bouce as much as the JT's nor were so comfy (as the lenses are so big, and I sweat a lot, speacially in the Brazilian climate, the sweat always got into my eyes). After the Grills came out, I saw a blend of both worlds and bought one. Those are REALLY great masks!!! It has everything good about my old JT and has a stupidly easiness for changing/cleaning lenses and foam. And they bounce a lot more than the Profilers.

Being so, today, I would definatelly recommend a V-Force Grill. You can't go wrong with it.

And after buying them, get the silver mirror lenses. They are :ninja:

Here's a couple of pics of mine, along with my baby :headbang: :

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x299/mpsd18/DSC01794.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x299/mpsd18/DSC01796.jpg

turbo chicken
12-11-2007, 01:25 PM
i could care less about ease of taking out the lense ... i've used cheap mask with thermal lenses for a while now ...

At the moment i use Extreme Rage 20/20 with fan and thermal lense ... the things just don't fog ... on a very very wet and dank day they did start to fog just a little ... but about 5 seconds of having the fan on and the situation was corrected ...Needless to say i'm quite happy with them ... but again the lense is a pain ... but this is something i can overlook for the price.

If you can over look the pain in the butt lense ... i say spectra's with a thermal lense ... (can be found at wal mart for 25.00 (i think) then get a JT mask fan to put up in the visor for 20.00 more ... there you are .. no fog .... and the lenses are fairly inexpensive as well ...

snoopay700
12-11-2007, 01:47 PM
i could care less about ease of taking out the lense ... i've used cheap mask with thermal lenses for a while now ...

At the moment i use Extreme Rage 20/20 with fan and thermal lense ... the things just don't fog ... on a very very wet and dank day they did start to fog just a little ... but about 5 seconds of having the fan on and the situation was corrected ...Needless to say i'm quite happy with them ... but again the lense is a pain ... but this is something i can overlook for the price.

If you can over look the pain in the butt lense ... i say spectra's with a thermal lense ... (can be found at wal mart for 25.00 (i think) then get a JT mask fan to put up in the visor for 20.00 more ... there you are .. no fog .... and the lenses are fairly inexpensive as well ...
I've got the spectra's and i've never fogged up with them, so with a fan you're probably set. The mask allows for easy air flow too.

Lomarandil
12-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Just a side note: Spectras are on special at ActionVillage, come with a free fan.

Lo

georgeyew
12-11-2007, 05:14 PM
I don't know if there are a special breed of us out there that sweat and generate more heat than others, but I've tried all of the "awesome never fogged on me masks" that people have talked about. And when I running full force in the middle of a battle, every single one of those masks starts fogging up. Right now I have resorted to using a JT Axiom FX-10 with a fan since I can swap out the fogged lens (in between games) for a clean one fast. But I have yet to come across a fog-proof lens for me. I would love to be a product tester for a mask company, because most likely all of their masks are going to fog on me. I am interested in the new Save Phace masks with the military grade antifog. Maybe the military grade will be better since soldiers' lives depend on it.