PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear of these old pumps: wgp Ranger or a Skirmish?

kylyo123456
12-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Have the chance to pick up a wgp ranger and another pump that is made by a company called skirmish. Anyone hear of these? Could thses be worth any money? The ranger works and I don't know about the other.

Scott Hudnall
12-12-2007, 05:11 PM
The old WGP Ranger is your basic Nelson based pump gun. They were ok, and while they were not really anything special as far as pump guns go, they are a pretty cool piece of paintball history and a reliable pump gun. WGP, of course, were much more known for their Sniper pump guns.

Skirmish pump? probably related to the Skirmish facility in PA.

ghtpDM5
12-12-2007, 05:15 PM
the skirmish is a line si marker, nice little nelsons.

Old School 626
12-12-2007, 07:12 PM
State of the art markers for 1987-ish

caylegeorge
12-12-2007, 07:14 PM
I had a carter and my brother had a ranger in 92'

His ranger was always breaking and I thought it was trash.

If it works well, its a simple so-so gun.

I would save your $$.

-cAyle

warbeak2099
12-12-2007, 07:21 PM
I want a Ranger so I can update the internals with Carter, Phantom, or Lapco internals and because the body is cocker threaded.

Railgun
12-13-2007, 02:37 AM
I've got a Ranger and like it a lot. It's your basic Nelson but with a twist. It takes cocker springs for the hammer and cocker barrel threading. And the trigger frame has threaded holes in the base to allow mounting a bottom line easily. All in all quite nice but a little heavier than a Phantom or Trracer since the body is a touch larger overall to accept the autococker barrel threading. And with the double bolt arms into a fairly heavy duty pump handle the feel is actually more solid and quality feeling than my Phantom I recently got. With the Dye barrel it shoots pretty darn nice. I gun shot a guy at around 80 feet out with two balls last summer. Just had to adjust for the drop a little and hit the hopper or gun on the second shot.

I'd have to check but it's possible that the innards are a hair larger than your typical Nelson to go along with the larger barrel threading.

Mine is modified to use an old Dye barrel and has my own design wire detent inspired by the Classic twistloc Automag barrels to prevent rollouts.

They are generally selling for around $100 right now if in good shape.

wetwrks
12-13-2007, 03:13 AM
I started with a ranger (it was my first "real" paintgun) and all my friends speak with awe about it. I wish WGP would do another run of them. I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

Shane-O-Mac
12-13-2007, 04:04 AM
I've got a Ranger and like it a lot. It's your basic Nelson but with a twist. It takes cocker springs for the hammer and cocker barrel threading. And the trigger frame has threaded holes in the base to allow mounting a bottom line easily. All in all quite nice but a little heavier than a Phantom or Trracer since the body is a touch larger overall to accept the autococker barrel threading. And with the double bolt arms into a fairly heavy duty pump handle the feel is actually more solid and quality feeling than my Phantom I recently got. With the Dye barrel it shoots pretty darn nice. I gun shot a guy at around 80 feet out with two balls last summer. Just had to adjust for the drop a little and hit the hopper or gun on the second shot.

I'd have to check but it's possible that the innards are a hair larger than your typical Nelson to go along with the larger barrel threading.

Mine is modified to use an old Dye barrel and has my own design wire detent inspired by the Classic twistloc Automag barrels to prevent rollouts.

They are generally selling for around $100 right now if in good shape.

FYI, 98 and up Cockers use "Nelson" springs for the hammer. All nelsons use that same spring, Cockers started using them for a softer more tunable spring. First it was an aftermarket thing, then WGP changed the cocker to use them from the factory. They are well built durable guns.

And the Skirmish is a nice pump also. Pretty much identical to a Line SI Bushmater, since it was made by Line SI for Skirmish. The Skirmish is proabably the smoother pumper of the 2. Make sure either one has a velocity adjustable bolt. And the Skirmish can take a Phantom style .45 grip block, so you put a bottomline set-up on it. Have the stock barrel bored out for freak inserts and your good to go.

wetwrks: You can find them used fairly easy, just look around, and check MCB, They pop up there often.
Shane-O

wetwrks
12-13-2007, 04:22 AM
Make sure either one has a velocity adjustable bolt. And the Skirmish can take a Phantom style .45 grip block, so you put a bottomline set-up on it.

wetwrks: You can find them used fairly easy, just look around, and check MCB, They pop up there often.
Shane-O

If the ranger has the original bolt (I havn't seen one that wasn't) they are adjustable.

I know I can find them, too many toys, too little money. :rolleyes:

gnnr
12-13-2007, 08:09 PM
I bought six rangers in the late eighties for friends when they came out. I did it because the Sniper I owned was lights out more dependable and accurate than the other guns we used (nightmare, splatmaster and gator- remember that one :rolleyes:, modified nelspots, sheridans, the 62 cal. Tippmann clip fed thing I had-can't remember the name). Nearly everyone had problems with them. Powertube problems mostly if I recall correctly.

Shane-O-Mac
12-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Power tubes were always a weak link in Nelsons. Most people used too large of one to get velocity, and that caused them to break easily. You could get power tubes with larger and smaller holes for the air to exit, and the larger holes made them weaker, so that when the hammer slammed into them, they broke. Lapco and Carter, and CCI (Phantom) fixed most of the issues, and a good spring kit made changing the power tube a thing of the past. And they also enlarged the threaded portion that the cup seal goes on, from a 6-32 to a 10-32 (I think those are the correct sizes) for more strength. I have seen Rangers with and without the adjustable bolt, early ones didnt have one IIRC. They are nice guns really..............

gnnr
12-14-2007, 01:10 AM
Power tubes were always a weak link in Nelsons. Most people used too large of one to get velocity, and that caused them to break easily. You could get power tubes with larger and smaller holes for the air to exit, and the larger holes made them weaker, so that when the hammer slammed into them, they broke. Lapco and Carter, and CCI (Phantom) fixed most of the issues, and a good spring kit made changing the power tube a thing of the past. And they also enlarged the threaded portion that the cup seal goes on, from a 6-32 to a 10-32 (I think those are the correct sizes) for more strength. I have seen Rangers with and without the adjustable bolt, early ones didnt have one IIRC. They are nice guns really..............
That is exactly what was happening! I had the same problem with a Bushmaster SI once. Wow... I wish I still had any of those guns. Thanks for the knowledge. You know.. I think the neat thing about that Ranger was that the same Sniper barrel was used. Great barrel. And the barrel screwed in. I don't thing alot of other guns had barrels that screwed in yet. The Bushmaster didn't.

wetwrks
12-14-2007, 01:22 AM
I bought six rangers in the late eighties for friends when they came out. I did it because the Sniper I owned was lights out more dependable and accurate than the other guns we used (nightmare, splatmaster and gator- remember that one :rolleyes:, modified nelspots, sheridans, the 62 cal. Tippmann clip fed thing I had-can't remember the name). Nearly everyone had problems with them. Powertube problems mostly if I recall correctly.

Yah, and the ranger was one of the high end guns too. I used mine till it wore out, got replacement guts and rebuilt it. i then ran it till it wore out again then decided it was time to retire it. I still have it.

Shane-O-Mac
12-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Yah, and the ranger was one of the high end guns too. I used mine till it wore out, got replacement guts and rebuilt it. i then ran it till it wore out again then decided it was time to retire it. I still have it.

Truth is that the cup seal and the sear are about the only things that wear out, easy to fix. Go to: http://www.airsoldier.com:8080/cgi-bin/mivavm?Merchant2/merchant.mvc+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AOS&Category_Code=OLDSCHOOL
Their are new hammers and power tubes that would work for a Ranger. And if you go to www.mcarterbrown.com or go to this link: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/misc-paintball-items/23583-bacci-s-graduation-sale-dial-up-beware.html
he has a ton of old Nelosn parts. I just bought a nelson bolt hammer kit for my old Wintec gun. Excellent seller, you can trust him.

Keep the old guns on the field, its fun to shoot someone with a gun older than them.... :D