PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on Pro classic...

pb merc
12-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Has AGD quality fallen since TK departure... is it still worth it to buy new from AGD or is it time to move on...? Is $260 for the Pro classic worth the investment?

Don Carnage
12-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Quality is exactly the same since TK left.

If the $260 is worth it, is your call. You can pick up a used one on Ebay for $150 (less for the older gray bodies) However, you have to trust the original owner didnt so anything bad like lube it with vegatble oil or something. It also depends on how much you are willing to pay to ensure that you are the original and only owner and you get to fire the gun's first shot and make it's first elimination.

Then you get to spend hundreds if not thousands upgrading it.

Bagheera
12-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Automags are like classic muscle cars. They're pretty damn sweet straight from the dealer, but you get addicted to upgrading it for even sweeter performance.

punkncat
12-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Has AGD quality fallen since TK departure... is it still worth it to buy new from AGD or is it time to move on...? Is $260 for the Pro classic worth the investment?

Very good investment. It will never let you down. Extremly reliable and well built design. I would suggest going ahead and getting the ule body upgrade. Its a nice weight saver, looks nice, and the upgrade price special thats going right now is hard to pass up.

pb merc
12-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Yea I know all about the quality of mags... I have a 68 classic with teardrop, drop forward, wood grips, and its pretty sick.... Im just saying, eventually I will have to move on when it does break down or whatever and Im not sure that mags are worth it anymore... Whats with the declinding popularity of them, Whats happening to automags?

garbageman705
12-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Your mag will never break, if it does just replace the problem O-ring. Once a year clean the regulator piston and replace the main bolt spring. That's about all you have to do to keep it working. I would say that the new pro classic is probably just as good as the old gray ones but if you get it you are just getting the same thing you have. Go for the RT-Custom, that is a sick gun. As far as mags go and popularity, you can stand out in a crowd of tippmanns and ions, and please, stand proud! :headbang:

maniacmechanic
12-19-2007, 05:19 AM
Yea I know all about the quality of mags... Whats with the declinding popularity of them, Whats happening to automags?

I play woodsball & scenarios so i'm not around the speedball fields , in my world Mag's seem to be getting MORE popular , went to a large scenario this past weekend & saw bocoo Mags ; classics , tac ones , E tac's , E Mags , X Mags , mags set up with warps , Q loaders I saw a Grown woman carrying a 68 classic powerfeed right ( a looker too)

nathanjones008
12-19-2007, 07:04 AM
i would not pay that much for a mag in a million years. I am sure the mag is high quality.(i have 3 used ones). But if you are in the mood to Spend some major$$$ its your choice. WHen you buy the proclassic you will realize to get a new barrel(no longer twist lock made) you have to buy 1 ule body(great)! it will cost you 120- 145$$ Then you may want a intelli frame (which is a good upgrade for 119.00 then, then you may decide to get a xvalve for 275.00 new. then you may desire a trigger pull kit(great upgrade) for 45.00 WHen you get your mag maxed out it will easly cost you over 600 bones. IN short Do not do it!

You can get a proto matrix rail for 250.00 now.(free shipping) 10.00 less than a proclassic. You can get some elctro autocockers for cheaper that the proclassic. I bought a pmr 9 months ago love it and so much better)all i did was put on a metal back back and a cheap barrel. This gun can keep up with anything! ask anyone w/ a pmr!

There is no need to pay a arm and a leg for technology that is over 16 yrs. :cheers:

www.paintballgear.com

Foxworthy
12-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Well the question of whether the pro classic is worth depends on a few things. First are you willing to buy used? If so you will be able to get quite a good deal on a mag that way. That helps make the mag a better value.

Second how long do you foresee having the marker. Mags can last forever it seems. People use mags that are 15 years old still. If you can still see playing with the mag in 15 years then its value increases. Especially since electronic markers tend to get phased out which makes replacement parts harder. Most mags will need very little upkeep besides just o-rings.

Third do you care about being out gunned? The mag is awesome but not everyone wants a marker that doens't have the bells and whistles. Upgrading the Mag so that you can be more competitive can get a bit costly. If you do go with the pro classic the twistlock adapters that allow a mag to use cocker threaded barrels would be a nice upgrade.

Fourth if you do want a mag with better barrel choices, lighter, faster trigger, better recharge rate and level 10 you might want a RT Pro instead. They can be a bit more complicated but for only a copy hundred more you have a mag that can hold its own in most rec and scenario type games. I use a RT Pro and when I switched to a Ego for a game I noticed that while the Ego was a good bit faster and easier to walk on semi that it wasn't fast enough to make me say my mag wasn't competitive. It was nice though. I got my RT Pro through Tunaman who did an awesome job tuning it and setting it up. I can't thank him enough for that. Though Ty from Spyre Bane put in my ULT and showed me how to do that which was also awesome.

Note that if you want to use CO2 you'll need to go the classic valve route.

Mostly it comes down to how you feel about it. If you plan to have the pro classic for along time, don't need to fire faster and don't worry about fancy barrels you'll be fine with the pro classic. The gun will last for a long time.

Bagheera
12-19-2007, 03:01 PM
i would not pay that much for a mag in a million years. I am sure the mag is high quality.(i have 3 used ones). But if you are in the mood to Spend some major$$$ its your choice. WHen you buy the proclassic you will realize to get a new barrel(no longer twist lock made) you have to buy 1 ule body(great)! it will cost you 120- 145$$ Then you may want a intelli frame (which is a good upgrade for 119.00 then, then you may decide to get a xvalve for 275.00 new. then you may desire a trigger pull kit(great upgrade) for 45.00 WHen you get your mag maxed out it will easly cost you over 600 bones. IN short Do not do it!

You can get a proto matrix rail for 250.00 now.(free shipping) 10.00 less than a proclassic. You can get some elctro autocockers for cheaper that the proclassic. I bought a pmr 9 months ago love it and so much better)all i did was put on a metal back back and a cheap barrel. This gun can keep up with anything! ask anyone w/ a pmr!

There is no need to pay a arm and a leg for technology that is over 16 yrs. :cheers:

www.paintballgear.com

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=NAL%2D12486041&autoview=sku

This particular Chevy 350 Engine costs $2,789.95. Why would anyone pay that for an engine alone, when a used Japanese car goes for less? The technology used in this brand new engine is over 50 years old! They're still using pushrods and a single camshaft for cryin' out loud! Why why why?

Quality. Consistency. Performance.

Automags are the same. 'Nuff said.

nathanjones008
12-19-2007, 03:39 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=NAL%2D12486041&autoview=sku

This particular Chevy 350 Engine costs $2,789.95. Why would anyone pay that for an engine alone, when a used Japanese car goes for less? The technology used in this brand new engine is over 50 years old! They're still using pushrods and a single camshaft for cryin' out loud! Why why why?

Quality. Consistency. Performance.

Automags are the same. 'Nuff said.

Are you implying that mags are the only makers that are "Quality. Consistency. Performance"?

thanks

teufelhunden
12-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Are you implying that mags are the only makers that are "Quality. Consistency. Performance"?

thanks

(it's AO... so probably)

cockerpunk
12-19-2007, 04:26 PM

thanks
dude, if the guy wants a mag, let him have his mag. there is alot more to a gun than just the board that runs it. comparing a PMR to a mag ... (shakes head)....

i personally own an over 600 dollar pump gun, so? wanna fight about that too?

the PMR will shoot ropes around a pro-classic no doubt. thats not the point tho.

to answer OP's question - yeah, AGD has kept there game tip top.

nathanjones008
12-19-2007, 04:36 PM

This is what the author said.(look up, he is asking our (everyones) opinion. Including you and I. I am proposing an option. what is the problem?

second of all, i disagree about idea that mags are the only guns that are consistent high quality Ect.... That is my personal opinion from years of experience.

As for your pump gun, more power to you. You have made your decision. As far as i am concerned the author has not. :)

peace :clap:

nathan

lidocaine
12-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Very good investment. It will never let you down. Extremly reliable and well built design. I would suggest going ahead and getting the ule body upgrade. Its a nice weight saver, looks nice, and the upgrade price special thats going right now is hard to pass up.
Where is this special price going on?

SN toter
12-19-2007, 07:07 PM
In 20 years my Automag will still be working(it's been 11 so far and it hasn't let me down once..in 20 years my Angel won't. 'nuff said

Lidocane - if you go to agd store and under proclassic there is a body drop down. You can upgrade to a ule for like $40 I think.

Motorhead
12-19-2007, 07:51 PM
I would not buy one, why ? ...... because you can build one for less than 1/2 the cost watching the F/S threads here & MCB.

I just did that building up an Old School classic. Ended up with a NIP DYE frame, Like new classic valve & like new Powerlite 2pc barrel. Total cost @ $160.00 !!

End result is actually getting a finished gun BETTER than the Pro classic as delivered from AGD.

JMHO,
Scott

Build picture before adding the P/L barrel: http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224203

nathanjones008
12-19-2007, 10:04 PM
that is a great inexpensive alternative! :clap:

pb merc
12-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Your mag will never break, if it does just replace the problem O-ring. Once a year clean the regulator piston and replace the main bolt spring. That's about all you have to do to keep it working. I would say that the new pro classic is probably just as good as the old gray ones but if you get it you are just getting the same thing you have. Go for the RT-Custom, that is a sick gun. As far as mags go and popularity, you can stand out in a crowd of tippmanns and ions, and please, stand proud! :headbang:

Yea... I just checked out the RT-custom on AGD's site and it is a disgusting gun... A mech shooting that fast is crazy... Well I will just use my Automag classic for the time being and cross the "getting a new marker" bridge when I have a little more cash... Thanks for the suggestions, and if anyone has a better suggestion than the RT-custom for a fast shooting mech let me know....