PDA

View Full Version : Need safety information ... DYE Mag frames ?

Motorhead
12-18-2007, 11:37 PM
I have built up 2 classic mags using single trigger DYE frames, neither came with triggers or safeties.

Trigger were easy, safety issue has left me with out one :cry:

The safety hole in these frames is @ .218" diameter.
Stock carbon/glass frames use a smaller diameter safety :(

Where can one get a safety for these frames ?

Thanks,
Scott

MANN
12-19-2007, 10:55 AM
hmmm. Good luck finding one. Might be easier to find complete frames.

Tunaman
12-19-2007, 04:14 PM
The mag safety will fit in the Dye frames. What you might be seeing is the safety hole in the dye frame a little smaller due to the plating.

Motorhead
12-19-2007, 06:43 PM
The mag safety will fit in the Dye frames. What you might be seeing is the safety hole in the dye frame a little smaller due to the plating.

You are correct, a stock AGD safety pin does fit a DYE frame :nono: About as well as a wine cork fits a mason jar ....

Stock AGD safety is .183" diameter .... DYE frame is .218" ... Thats a .035" difference.

Still Looking :confused:

Tunaman
12-20-2007, 05:54 AM
Well you will be looking for a long time because nobody ever made a safety for that frame besides AGD. I have installed many. Your frame must me drilled wrong or something worse.

Madmarx
12-20-2007, 06:45 AM
I have a Dye that is just like that.
The AGD safety is very sloppy in the hole.

Motorhead
12-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Frame is NOT drilled wrong ... I have 2 that were purchase NEW at different times, BOTH have .218" safety holes.

Push come to shove, heck I will just make a couple from Delrin on the Lathe ....

Tunaman
12-20-2007, 05:34 PM
The reason that the holes are that size is because they are rejects(made wrong). The Dye frame was designed around the AGD Mag frame and they never could get it right. You had to grind out the middle of the frame on most of them so the sear didnt hit too. After fixing that issue and a few others the frame works ok. They never made a single trigger for it either, so just use the Dye double trigger and cut off the bottom one. They have a nice feel after that... So the answer to the above post is YES! They are drilled wrong! ;)

Motorhead
12-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Thanks for clearing up the safety issues.

You get a gold star for addressing the other two issues these frames had.

Your right, both frames needed double triggers cut off and fitted, Sear clearance ledge deepened or sear arm ground shorter, and width of cavity opened up to clear link clevis.

Thank you & Merry Christmas ...

Scott