PDA

View Full Version : Paintball: A tough business.

Zone Drifter
12-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Would just like to share something, take it or leave it.

A friend of mine who owns a small paintball/archery store told me today that he'll probably have to close down come jan/feb. This really sucks, not just because he's where i get all my paint, air and other odds and ends, but because he's one of the most honest store owners that i have ever met. He's done nothing but help people out, those who need guns fixed, and those just looking for info on buying a gun. He's honest, straight foreword and never bad mouths anyone or anything. He's been in the store business for about 2 years i think, and it's a shame to see him have to close due to the competitors: wal-mart, Dicks sporting goods, and the online market. He can't sell markers as cheap as say, action village, because he does need to make some profit, but he does cut prices and give people like me who are friends and trusted customers breaks on paint and air.

It really got to me though, because the paintball market is just so ruthless right now. A guy can't even run an honest business without being walked all over by people who care nothing about quality and just get into paintball for fad reasons. He's always telling me how he ends up fixing guns that people buy at walmart and they never go back to his store for paint or air. Granted, he's not near a field or in a populated area, but it's pretty inconsiderate when you tell someone that you'll go to them for stuff and just never go back. It's going to suck when he goes, because his air fills are cheap for around here.

It might make anyone think twice about opening a store. You at least need a field, for sure. Around here, there really isn't any land that can be bought or used, and so it's just rebel woodsballing for us.

Anywho, Just thought I'd share. The paintball market is one of good people and those that want to own them, unfortunately. =/

13thlegionnaireCapt
12-19-2007, 09:41 PM
that is the normal case when the store is not close to fields, unless its the only one for 50 miles with no walmart etc for paint available(although wally world has really poor paint as we all know)..The best way for him to keep his doors open is to sell online like everyone else,and still keep his brick and mortar open..He can offer what most online cant.A drive up, same day tech service. The paintball business is ruthless, and if I were in that spot, I would try to expand my offerings to other markets like hunting, fishing etc..

I am sad to hear another good local shop goes under due to online and mega chains...

Coralis
12-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Yep running a paintball field is a brutal business the only way the local field around here stays in business (i think) is because of the 24 hours games that Wayne runs. Walmart , insurance costs and the internet have really put a hurting on local fields.

AGD
12-19-2007, 10:32 PM
You think a paintball store lasting for 2 years is a new thing? I can tell you that is the average lifespan for most of them. Back in the 90's we did an analysis of adds in APG and 30% of the companies were no longer advertising 2 years after they started.

AGD

DvS21
12-19-2007, 10:36 PM
wow that's sad, My store went under new management (former owner sold to head airsmith/only employee) and has been around for more than 10 years. Awesome huh? (I haven't been around for 10 years in paintball but its cool to have a good local place, that cuts me breaks and lets me hang out)

By the way, Tom I'm doing a report on you for a Senior religion class about mentors, (the class is kind of a joke w00t catholic school) I just thought you should know!

maniacmechanic
12-20-2007, 05:23 AM
that why I carry business card's & pump up my local store to everyone that asks any type of " where can i get this " question

shartley
12-20-2007, 07:16 AM
As Tom pointed out this is nothing new. It does not even apply to only paintball fields or stores, but to all businesses in paintball.

Heck, for that matter it easily applies to just about every other industry too. Most businesses that start end up failing, and do so relatively quickly. The business world is not a "nice" place to be in, nor is it easy or kind to those in it.

magmonkey
12-20-2007, 07:25 AM
shartley, amen.

I have tried twice, once for manufacturing once for a B&M store front and that is enough for me. I will still fix peoples stuff, but I can no longer have a 50 hour a week part time job, the wife just does not understand anymore, and to be honest I don't blame her I have been trying to make a go at paintball for a living for 5-6 years and have very little to show for it, where as my real job treats me well now

mpsd
12-20-2007, 07:33 AM
This is common due to the type of products they are selling: commodities. A paintball marker is a commodity as a Tac One is a Tac One anywhere you buy it. And the same for Shockers, Egos, Tippys and so on. Problem is that the online competition is one step ahead of any physical store, in any market you would look at.

I work with IT and have the same problem when selling products (Windows Vista, for example). The only way to survive is differentiate yourself through services. A good tech isn't a commodity at all. What makes a company grow today is it's specialization and knowledge associated with marketing and advertising. That's what we call modern capitalism.

If your friend want to keep on business, he should be able to deliver more services at a good price (which is not FREE) and to more people. He has to increase value on his offer. If there isn't a big number of people playing paintball around and if there's not a field around (and the field isn't his), he was already wrong by the moment he opened the business. Sorry to say that, but that's the truth.

nathanjones008
12-20-2007, 08:19 AM
The main issue people to to attack the the season. Here in Georgia, paint ball is a seasonal sport. Most people play in late fall and winter time. In the summer time you can forget about it! It gets over 100 degrees with 60% humidity(too muggy)

Any how in the fall and winter you better make some good money and hope that you can make a little $$in the summer :mad: heat!!!

Zone Drifter
12-21-2007, 09:26 PM
If there isn't a big number of people playing paintball around and if there's not a field around (and the field isn't his), he was already wrong by the moment he opened the business. Sorry to say that, but that's the truth.I know, it's very true. Unfortunately, where I live we only are able to play on land owned by someone we know, and that being said, there really isn't much as far as many people to play with. Most of the time it's just kids around 16 who get into the sport, play with us a few time, then just stop playing once winter comes and we never hear from them again.

Also, my friend has been trying to sell some things online, but he's not a completely computer literate person, so it's a difficult thing to do and takes time. Things just weren't set up in his favor, so I believe he'll go back to the playing status and close his store. He just had a third child, so that's more important than working 2 jobs when the second it just for leisure/fun. Although, if things work out better, he might find a new location in the town that I live in, where there are many more people. The trouble is, you need a field, this way you can ban the wal-mart paint (it's dangerous in some cases anyway, so I don't believe it should be used at all) and sell you're own.

I just think it's a loss for me and the few of us who get supplied from him, because we'll never find a better dealer. The best ones always come out and play with you, and back up their stuff 110%. The only other fields close to me (within an hour drive in any direction) are run by guys who just make a killing off kids, and don't have any real interest in playing the game themselves.

Will Wood
12-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Man, I'd take a paintball stores odds over opening a restaurant any day...

skriptal
12-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Are you talking about Hoops Paintball/Archery in Clinton, MA? I had gone there a couple of times and I had nothing but problems there.

The field is REALLY small barely enough for a 3 man. The lack of lighting on the field made it very difficult to see. The times i went there they could barely fill to 3k and it took 5-6 min per tank to get a fill.

Its not that there is a problem with paintball business in this case, its that the field had too much competition (Boston Paintball, Fox4) that in my opinion gave me a better value and better playing experience.

While I do agree that opening up a business of any kind would be a daunting task and is EXTREMELY risky. Field and store owners need to remember that me as a customer is always going to look for the best most convenient deal. New players might buy their paintball stuff at a big box retailer because its convenient. I might buy a high end gun off action village because its $100 cheaper than going to a local store. I might buy upgrades off the internet because of the much better selection than a local store has. Businesses really need to find an incentive for attracting player to go there and then really cater to that. Opening a storefront by it self with no incentive for a player to go there is almost business suicide.

I am not a business owner, or anything I am just a person on the internet with an opinion take it or leave it.

Jaan
12-23-2007, 09:29 AM
They say that half of all businesses fail in the first year. From what I've seen that sounds about right.

A lot of people go for the best deals, that's true, however you only have to be burned a couple of times to realize that the cheapest price isn't always the best deal. There's still a place for good service and there's still people who appreciate that.

I have a friend who's owned a paintball store (PW Paintball) for about 12 years. One of the big things is that he gives out a 1 year store warranty on every gun he sells. People like that. They also like how honest he is with them, and how he takes the time to explain things.

He can also get most any part you need in a week or so, about the same time as ordering something from the internet. You'll also get the right part because you're dealing with someone with a brain, and he'll either install it for free or for a small fee ($10) and make sure it's working right.

Fox 4 paintball is also all about service. They have the best reffing staff you could have. It's just about the only place I would take a newbie simply because I know they'll be safe and have a good time. I've been to too many crappy fields with poor refs and unsafe conditions. It's just not that much fun playing at places like that.

teufelhunden
12-23-2007, 10:24 AM
I was going to make a lot of the points in this thread [every business environment is ruthless, why open a store in the middle of nowhere not attached to a field, two years ago the business of paintball retailing was just as it is today, etc.] but now I can just give them one of these :cheers:

Zone Drifter
12-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Fox 4 paintball is also all about service. They have the best reffing staff you could have. It's just about the only place I would take a newbie simply because I know they'll be safe and have a good time. I've been to too many crappy fields with poor refs and unsafe conditions. It's just not that much fun playing at places like that.
I have been to Fox4 (with the guy who im talking about who's closing as well) and i was really impressed with everything they had to offer there. Thing is, they have a field, so they are always going to have store business since they have a backing. The guy im talking about was just really passionate about the game, but was totally in the wrong location and didnt have a field. He just didnt set himself up for success.

and to skriptal: no, this guy is in burlington, CT, and he's just a small shop with archery and paintball.

rabidchihauhau
12-24-2007, 07:04 AM
What Tom said and

in many cases with paintball, its not so much the economics as it is the internal politics - a "hidden cost of business" you have no way of knowing about until after you've been victimized by it: things like another field and store owner, jealous of the competition, using his local fan boys to bad mouth the store, the person, etc. Or 'suggesting' that it might be a good time for someone to rob him, or calling up shared distributors/suppliers and insuring that the new guy can never get a better deal on product...

And that's even before we start talking about the attitude: if you aren't a whiney, threatening, arm-twisting SOB, you won't fit in with the people you're buying from and will never get any breaks. You have to demonstrate your own ruthlessness and willingness to "cheat" before the old boys network will trust you and let you in. In paintball, the good guys ALWAYS finish last...