PDA

View Full Version : I want your opinion

Chrishew09
12-21-2007, 08:45 PM
SP Freak Kit or Powerlyte Scepter Barrel Kits?

I have a 5pc freak kit now and I am not that impressed, i hear that the Sceptare kits are good, but what do you guys think?

rkjunior303
12-21-2007, 08:47 PM
.689 and a .693 UL backs.... of it you MUST have a kit, ditch the inserts and go with a MacDev Matchstick.

Chrishew09
12-21-2007, 08:51 PM
.689 and a .693 UL backs.... of it you MUST have a kit, ditch the inserts and go with a MacDev Matchstick.
haha, I have a MacDev with one back .689, and I keep using that instead of my freak.

rkjunior303
12-21-2007, 09:02 PM
just buy a .693 back for the matchstick and call it a day.

WillyB
12-21-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm a big fan of the Redz Pepperstickz kit.
http://www.redzcomfort.com/storefront/detail.aspx?ID=17
They usually go for $110ish for the cocker threaded kits and less for other threads. I got a kit for my shocker for less than $60. They shoot just as good as a UL and way better than Freaks. Plus, they have that 8in back so you can get some added efficiency.

going_home
12-21-2007, 09:49 PM
I do like the Freaks myself, only use .686 or .687 .
I also have a one piece WWA barrel that takes the Freak inserts and thats nice.
I didnt care for the Scepter and got rid of it.
I do like the Sanchez Machine kits :

http://www.sm1paintballbarrel.com

And I use carbon fiber CCM kit on the pump, again a .686 or I have roll outs.

:cool:

Twistedpsyche
12-21-2007, 09:55 PM
The matchstick kit is VERY sweet. I had one some time ago. I wish I had never sold it. :( The hammerhead kits are not so bad either.

wolf13
12-21-2007, 10:27 PM
I like my scepters and hated my freaks. the scepters seem a lot more consistent and i like the overall design a lot better.

Outlaw5
12-21-2007, 10:44 PM
I have a Scepter Kit for my X-MAG and E-MAG and they are very consistant with the grouping of any kind of paintball that is sized right. Get a 12" or 14" five piece kit and you will be very happy I can promise you. I hate freak kits because the inserts rotate and move with shooting. The Scepter kits do not move once you screw down the front to the back. My $.02
Outlaw5

madcrisis
12-21-2007, 11:08 PM
i was actually debating this question a little bit ago and all the research i did most people said powerlyte. i posted on many forumsasking the same queston and most said powerlyte. however i did not get either because i found out i could trade in the back of my current barrel kit for cocker threading.

Motorhead
12-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Hate the FREAKS, even tho they do their intended job.
A barrel hit fouls the space between back & insert, dirt mucks it up worse !!

LOVE my Scepter kit !!

** They fit together tighter, The fit of inserts to back is better (Stainless back), with just a no frill or thrill performance thats just too simple.

Really tho, either is FAR superior to a fixed bore barrel :clap:

t0nnn
12-22-2007, 12:18 AM
I just bought a 7-bore sceptor kit off of LuisV on here and it seems great so far...only shot it at night just to check it out, but it seems great

Lenny
12-22-2007, 12:24 AM
I hate Smart Parts as much as the next person, but I, as well as 5 of my friends, use the Freak kit and have never had any issues with it. I honestly love the whole insert idea, too. If you don't have a back for a gun you want to put it on, you can either buy one for pretty cheap or have another barrel bored out to accept them. Much easier and cheaper than buying a new set of backs for a particular gun.

Chrishew09
12-22-2007, 07:32 AM
I hate freak kits because the inserts rotate and move with shooting.
Outlaw5

Thats the same reason I dont like the freak, before each game I need to check my inserts to see if they have shifted, or i get barrel breaks.

Chrishew09
12-22-2007, 07:35 AM
just buy a .693 back for the matchstick and call it a day.
I was thinking of that but I want at least two more backs and at about $30 a piece I could buy a whole new barrel set-up for that price. I would buy them used but they are very hard to find use i have tried, plus I want to switch from a 14" to 12" barrel.

AirAssault
12-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Ok, lots of talk here about this and that. IMHO any quality barrel kit is going to get the job done. I have 2 freak sets, a pipe kit and have had a few sceptor kits in my day. I have not found one that performs better than the other. The paint to barrel match is the key. I loved the DW barrel that uses the freak backs. I also have a stiffi tip for my pipe kit that I use with my Dmag and I love that too. Try and shoot a few and see what works best for YOU.

Chrishew09
12-22-2007, 10:15 AM
I am really just tired of the spinning inserts in my freak, and want a kit that is a quality piece to match my quality build Emag.

AirAssault
12-23-2007, 01:46 AM
I am really just tired of the spinning inserts in my freak, and want a kit that is a quality piece to match my quality build Emag.

Try out the pipe, no inserts and you can pick up a stiffi tip if you desire CF.

jenarelJAM
12-23-2007, 11:00 PM
My take on barrels is that you can either get a big bore and shoot everything, or you can paint-match to save a little bit of air. Now, if you have a closed-bolt marker, you need to paint match to prevent rollouts, and if you shoot multiple markers with different threads, it makes sense to get a kit with inserts, because you can get a single back for each threading and use all the same inserts, rather than having 5 different cocker-threaded backs, and end up with an impulse threaded ion as a backup, for example.

I personally use one of the older-style scepter kits, for the longer inserts, and have spyder-threaded and cocker-threaded backs for my Sterling, which is closed-bolt, and Viking/Mag.

I'd vote to sell the freak if you aren't satisfied by it, and find a scepter to try.

dstud2000
12-23-2007, 11:39 PM
get yourself a python kit and choose whatever barrel you want

python paintball (http://www.pythonpaintball.com/) used one for a while with my cocker, they can custom make ones for you too, say you have ule body and want to use an a-5 barrel that you have. but I think you have to call or email them about special ones like that. I met the guy who runs pythin at Sherwood Forest, he seemed like a real good guy.

Foxworthy
12-24-2007, 05:33 AM
I'm not a big insert fan myself. I use a Lucky barrel kit but they're a bit hard to find these days.

B-Pow
12-24-2007, 10:07 AM
I use the MacDev MatchStik. Nice barrel for the money 4 backs 2 fronts for 120 new. The only complaints I had is that the barrel comes with a 14 and 16 tip...I like the shorter 12 but I'm getting used to the 14. Also that the smallest bore is .685 which really isn't all that bad (I have yet to use anything but the smallest back in play...but that's because I usually have very fresh paint).

Paint to barrel match can save you a decent ammount of air and the shot has less deviation in flight...definately noticable. When I switched to the barrel kit I did not mess with any gun settings dwell...pressure...nothing. and the gun went from shooting 275 with the stock barrel to shooting around 315 with a good fitting barrel back. Same ammount of air...40fps higher. Needless to say I turned it back down to around 275.

Whatever you get needs to work for you, I personally am not a fan of 3 piece kits so I got a 2 piece. Paintball equipment is all about confort for the owner...if you don't like it you are not going to have fun.

[NA]WARLORD
12-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Thats the same reason I dont like the freak, before each game I need to check my inserts to see if they have shifted, or i get barrel breaks.

Ever considered changing the orings inside, they dont last forever ya know ? It's a lot cheaper then buying a new barrel ;)

Chrishew09
12-24-2007, 01:05 PM
WARLORD']Ever considered changing the orings inside, they dont last forever ya know ? It's a lot cheaper then buying a new barrel ;)
Not a bad idea, I guess i would have to buy them straight from SP right?

Chrishew09
12-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Paintball equipment is all about confort for the owner...if you don't like it you are not going to have fun.

I agree.....

B-Pow
12-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Not a bad idea, I guess i would have to buy them straight from SP right?

...yes...if you try to buy from anywhere else...there will be much litigation, lawsuits, and C&D orders.