PDA

View Full Version : Automag Field Rental Questions

13ored
12-22-2007, 02:50 AM
Hello all automag enthusiasts. I recently purchased an Automag 68 Field Rental, but i was wondering if it was possible to remove the twist lock assembly from it because it makes the barrel time consuming to remove. I have looked on the forum and followed what people have said, "hit the bottom of the twist assembly on the ground or with a hammer", but its not budging (I also dont want to file it down, I just want the one that is spring loaded). Do I just have to hit it harder or do I have to buy a whole new rail... which I do not really want to do especially for $40.00 from the AGD store.

I also have another question. Where can i get an original 68 classic valve, because i know the rental valve has some drawbacks that i don't want to deal with. Also, what is a good price to buy them for?

I also have the rental valve up for sale if I can get a hold of a original valve. The exterior condition is very good, but I don't know anything about how it functions yet... If I do end up putting it up for sale I will probably make it $20.00 with the cost of shipping depending how it deals in the field.

I appreciate any help. Thanks. :dance:

smilestyler
12-22-2007, 11:06 AM
The twist lock pin can be really hard to get out especially if it is an old rental. Don't smack it against the ground, brace the rail really well preferably with wood so you don't scratch anything and keep hitting the pin until it comes out. If you have nylon or rubber mallet those work good.

Motorhead
12-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Keep in mind the barrel pin is removed upward towards the main body side of rail.

Heat up rail around pin with a torch or heat gun, then a few sold whacks should pop it out without having to beat on it !!

** Your "Field Rental" valve is no different than a classic valve you are looking for .... Only thing that it has is a restricted power tube stem.
Thats easy to correct, drill out the restriction with a 3/16" drill and your done :clap:

Classic valves with level 7 bolts and matching body ser # in good shape sell for @ $50 or so.

If you want to sell that rental valve for $20 .... I will buy it :D

13ored
12-22-2007, 09:04 PM
I REPOSTED THE SALE ON THE BUY/SELL/TRADE PART OF THE FORUM IN THE AIR SYSTEMS AND ALSO MISC. AREA.

athomas
12-26-2007, 08:34 AM
...but i was wondering if it was possible to remove the twist lock assembly from it because it makes the barrel time consuming to remove. Unless you are putting a ULE body on the rail or installing a Cocker barrel adapter, you need the twist lock assembly to keep the barrel in place. The twist lock barrels are the quickest barrels in the industry to install and remove.

13ored
12-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Unless you are putting a ULE body on the rail or installing a Cocker barrel adapter, you need the twist lock assembly to keep the barrel in place. The twist lock barrels are the quickest barrels in the industry to install and remove.

The twist lock assembly for a field rental is different from a regular one. The tip of it can't go in and out, this in turn keeps the barrel in place from any player who uses it from removing it. And no I am not doing anything retarded to the gun :mad: I am keeping it as stock as possible.

athomas
12-27-2007, 08:07 AM
The twist lock assembly for a field rental is different from a regular one. The tip of it can't go in and out, this in turn keeps the barrel in place from any player who uses it from removing it.
I did not know that, or have forgotten that part. It does make sense.

To remove the twist lock assembly, if you can't get it to move with a hammer, use a vise. Put a block of wood on the top side of the rail on each side of the twist lock assembly. Then, put the rail and wood in the vise with one jaw against the bottom of the assembly and the other against the wood on the top of the rail. Tighten the vise and the twist lock should press out easily.

MANN
12-27-2007, 08:16 AM
place 2 pieces of wood on a table. Place the rail upside down on the boards to make a "bridge" accross them. Get a hammer, and hit the bottom of the pin as hard as you can.

That is all that is required.

azmtnpa
12-27-2007, 02:45 PM
I had the same problem with my field rental. What I did was put the rail in my vice after padding it and used a punch to remove it. I then took a new spring loaded barrel pin and pressed it in with a small socket so i wouldn't damage the new pin.