PDA

View Full Version : Realization set in today.

Rabbit
12-25-2007, 02:47 AM
I was going through cleaning gear, tinkering with odds and ends when I finally got around to my mag. Then when I thought about it as I wiped it down and put it back on the rack, I have only replaced one o-ring. Ever. And that says something. Mine was built in the early Nineties, and I play as often as I can. And in the earlier years I was not the best at maintenance and cleaning.

Over my 19 years playing I have shot just about everything out there, and I have owned quite a large number of 'guns. Yet I have only ever encountered 2 brands that required that I only oil them and pull the trigger.

In short, Thank you AGD for making something that, despite what neglect it suffered, works.

It may seem like flogging a dead horse, and maybe something that will illicit some "Yeah, so?" responses, but to me it does indeed prove the quality of the product.

madcrisis
12-25-2007, 05:26 AM
whats the second brand?

Duzzy
12-25-2007, 05:27 AM
Aka.

Siress
12-25-2007, 05:54 AM
Reg seats don't count?

going_home
12-25-2007, 07:46 AM
Aka.

Truth.

AGD = THEE best mech.
AKA = THEE best electro.

Rabbit
12-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Reg seats don't count?

I haven't had to replace mine yet.

Duzzy
12-25-2007, 05:01 PM
Does that mean I was right about AKA?

minimag03
12-25-2007, 05:36 PM
PPS markers require just oil too.

drg
12-25-2007, 08:34 PM
Just about any pump also falls into that category.

LoonWulf
12-25-2007, 09:06 PM
pumps tho in general take less abuse then semis do. Personally i MIGHT shoot 500rnds a day in a pump, i regularly shoot 2k in my semis. also if i remember correctly the Nelson drive train is only capable of around 7bps with out breaking?

drg
12-25-2007, 10:12 PM
It may seem like flogging a dead horse, and maybe something that will illicit some "Yeah, so?" responses, but to me it does indeed prove the quality of the product.

It proves the simplicity (some would say elegance) of the design of the product more than anything. Obviously guns which don't have, for example miniaturized pneumatic operating subsystems or small electronic valves are going to require less maintenance than those that do. That's more a design thing than a quality thing though.

Quite a few blowbacks are similarly low-maintenance, the striker o-ring being about the only thing that goes bad on a regular basis or while sitting.

Duzzy
12-26-2007, 12:51 AM
It's also true that tighter tolerances require less O-rings, so quality does play a part.

drg
12-26-2007, 05:42 AM
It's also true that tighter tolerances require less O-rings, so quality does play a part.

Uh ... what? You aren't going to eliminate the need for an o-ring with tighter tolerances. And in any event, AGD doesn't have some monopoly on decent tolerances.

Duzzy
12-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Uh ... what? You aren't going to eliminate the need for an o-ring with tighter tolerances. And in any event, AGD doesn't have some monopoly on decent tolerances.

You are right, I was tired and thinking of something else and applied it to the wrong thing.

Also, I never said that AGD had a monopoly on decent tolerances and I never would. Because where would CCI, AKA, Palmers, and some of the other brands I love fit in?