PDA

View Full Version : question about masks

jdhfreak
01-05-2008, 10:27 PM
So I'm looking to pick up a new mask but I have a slight problem, I have a huge head so I threw on a couple at my local store but wasn't a fan anybody got any advice on a mask that has a good range of sight but also offers pretty good face protection?

guseppe16
01-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Do you remember which ones you tried on at the store?

ljpiller
01-06-2008, 12:01 AM
You might like the JT Spectra lineup of masks. They have a nice wide view thermal lens. An actual dual pane thermal lens will be your best help against fogging. Where a lot of masks like to bend inward and kind of contour along the jaw line, the JT Spectra line up just continues on downward with a face shield. It covers more, and gives you more room around your mouth to breath, but it does allow more opportunity for someone to sneak an unlucky shot in from underneath.

Another one to look at is the VForce Shield and Morph masks. They tend to be a bit bigger so they fit larger heads well. They have thermal "cured" lens which works well, but it isn't a true thermal lens. The coating will start to wear off after awhile and you may fog if you don't replace the lens. The Shield has a nice neck protector extension and they both have a nice large bottom piece that gives good coverage. They also have a nice wide lens for peripheral vision. The lens is easier to change than the JT masks.

jdhfreak
01-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Do you remember which ones you tried on at the store?

well the store didn't have many because their shipment was coming in the next day so I tried on some profilers which was funny.

and I just talked to the owner of the store about the spectra line and the store has a field and they use those as rentals so i'm gonna go try one of them today.

PumpMag
01-06-2008, 03:26 PM
JT Proflex, has excellent peripheral vision. I chose that after trying other brands at my local store.

Whee McGee
01-06-2008, 03:39 PM
(E)-Vents have amazing visibility, and have enough room for my huge head (7 3/4). Only problem I've seen is that the mask is a little short, but I keep my head down and don't leave my mouth open, and I have no problems. :headbang:

Lohman446
01-06-2008, 04:15 PM
The Profiler and the E-vents (and the Avatar) are all made around the theory of the smallest mask possible - so is the Proto mask.

You are probably going to have to look back towards when this was not the trend to find something suitable.

V-force Morph

JT Flex 7

Those would be my choice, I use the Flex 7's now.

PS - I have owned and tried all of these masks listed at one point, I went back to the Flex 7's because I simply liked them better, it might simply be familiarity. If the lenses didn't suck so much to change they would be incredible awesomeness.