PDA

View Full Version : Why NOT to print shipping labels online

rawbutter
01-12-2008, 02:47 PM
This is another one of those "I can't believe how incompetent USPS can be" kinda deals. But the reason I'm sharing it is to reveal a loophole in the system. So read on.

A month ago, I sold a pack of reballs to a reputable guy here on AO. When I mailed the package, I printed off a shipping label through PayPal, complete with tracking and insurance. I put the label on the package and placed the package in my mailbox for pick-up.

The package was picked up... but this week the buyer contacted me, wondering why the package hadn't arrived yet. I immediately jumped on USPS's tracking website and entered the number I got from PayPal, but it just said:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on December 15, 2007 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. No further information is available for this item.

Basically, as far as USPS is concerned, they never delivered, received, or even picked up my package.

So I went to the post office today to try and get some clarification. (Maybe just the website wasn't working, and they'd be able to find the package with their own computer systems.) No such luck. So, since I had insurance, I asked if I could fill out a "Lost Mail" form, but I was told I had to wait until 30 days passed... so, come back in a week.

Here's the kicker, though. The polite attendent informed me that she's seen this happen before, and she's unfortunately never seen the customer win. The problem is that I shipped the package from home instead of bringing it to the actual post office building. What probably happened is that the courier picked up the package, but then he failed to scan it for tracking once he returned to the distribution center. Therefore, there is no way to track the package. When I fill out the paperwork, the powers that be will look at the information, and they will assume that I'm trying to commit mail fraud. (Sure... on an item insured for $15.) They will think that I filled out all the information online and then put NOTHING in my mailbox, hoping to scam the system out of $15. So even though their employee screwed up, they're going to assume I'm dishonest.

So... yeah. I had tracking AND insurance, but I'm out of luck. :mad:

I'm not looking for sympathy... and I definitely don't want this to turn into a "what shipping system is best" thread. I'm just putting this out here as a warning because I know that so many people here use PayPal's automated shipping system. Printing off labels at home may be convenient, but if something goes wrong... you'll probably end up like me. You can still print off labels at home, but don't just put the package in your mailbox. Bring it to your post office and hand it to the attendant yourself.

wetwrks
01-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Bring it to your post office and hand it to the attendant yourself.

Maby even ask to see them scan it?

Ruler_Mark
01-12-2008, 03:10 PM
atleast get your $ back for the shipping then if they didnt "recieve it"

luke
01-12-2008, 05:35 PM
But, someone could have stolen it out of your mail box...

punkncat
01-12-2008, 05:54 PM
But, someone could have stolen it out of your mail box...

DRATS foiled again!!!

I confess, I drove all the way from Ga to Va to pull those reballs out of the box to save myself the $15....nevermind the gas, that was not part of the equation... :ninja:

/being silly

rawbutter
01-12-2008, 06:45 PM
DRATS foiled again!!!

I confess, I drove all the way from Ga to Va to pull those reballs out of the box to save myself the $15....nevermind the gas, that was not part of the equation... :ninja:

/being silly

:spit_take

I wish... then I'd have a way to get my reballs back. :ninja:

Silverback
01-12-2008, 07:36 PM
I can assure you that if RAWBUTTER says something was shipped, it is shipped. I recently did business with him, and everything was "BUTTER" smooth. (Sorry, could'nt resist) :)

luke
01-12-2008, 08:08 PM
rawbutter, do you know for a fact that the postman got the package?

I was saying someone could have swiped it out of your box, I was not insinuating you were lying...

rawbutter
01-12-2008, 11:06 PM
rawbutter, do you know for a fact that the postman got the package?

I was saying someone could have swiped it out of your box, I was not insinuating you were lying...

Don't worry. I'd never assume you were being rude. :cheers:

I do get what you're saying. I did put the package in my mailbox at 6:30am when I left for work, but then I wasn't home again until 5:00pm, and it wasn't there then.

I've mailed lots of other stuff in this exact way, but half the time, tracking doesn't work. That's why I think the currier just isn't doing his job correctly. I suppose this could have been the one time someone swiped something from my mailbox, but either way, I'm out of luck.

Regardlness, I'll just be dropping my packages off at the post office from now on.

nicad
01-12-2008, 11:51 PM
I shipped over 1500 items last year via USPS using online label printing. I only have about 3 issues close to the one that you had. In all 3 cases, they were able to put a "trace" on the item and ended up finding it. All of these items I personally took the PO location.

I will say however, that the USPS "insurance" is a three-ringed circus, and designed to discourage you from ever getting your money. In the past years, when an item was damaged or lost, I never was able to get insurance out of them. It is a time game, "must wait at least this long, but no longer than that". They burden you AND your receiver down with forms and paperwork. It is not worth my nor my customers time to insure with USPS any more.

I personally insure my own items now. Much faster payout and way more efficient.

luke
01-13-2008, 12:51 AM
How do you "personally" insure the item?
(i.e. price etc..)

punkncat
01-14-2008, 09:27 AM
You must be very careful using the insurance for a marker as well. Technically sending a marker via USPS is not "legal" so if you try to make a claim for one you will be out.
I find this kind of funny for when using UPS it is legal. UPS and USPS commonly carry packages for one another.

WUNDERWAFFEN
01-14-2008, 11:43 PM
I used the mailbox right outside of the post office since they were closed and had the same issue. The package was never scanned into the system.
Got to take them to the post office and deal with the clerks. Now I try to get there at the very second there is no line. Nothing moves slower than the line at the post office.

blizpaintball42
01-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Shipping a paintball marker through USPS IS in fact legal, after a long run around with my local post office (having shipped a gun, then two days later being told I couldn't ship another)... I did some research and as long as you aren't shipping a tank you are within USPS regulations unless they have very recently changed their policy. You can ship long rifles without an FFL license person to person as well, as long as there is no ammunition in the package.

dstud2000
01-15-2008, 09:59 AM
It's not a gun, it's pneumatic marking equipment ;)

blake20
01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
I used the mailbox right outside of the post office since they were closed and had the same issue. The package was never scanned into the system.
Got to take them to the post office and deal with the clerks. Now I try to get there at the very second there is no line. Nothing moves slower than the line at the post office.

Try the MO DMV line!!!!! LOL

mstrdbz
01-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Wow. One more reason for me not to use USPS.

Try the MO DMV line!!!!! LOL

Ya got that right! Which reminds me... I have to renew my tags this month... :cuss:

Xyxyll
01-15-2008, 04:49 PM
This is exactly why I always take my customer's packages to a blue mailbox. I have never had a problem.