PDA

View Full Version : Minimag right, minimag left

IDriveBug
01-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Okay, so today I received a Minimag valve i bought used online drop a bolt on it, go to slide it into the body that I have put together for it out of spare parts from my other minimag, and the inlet for the valve body is on the wrong damn side!
NOW, the question is... which side is the common side and which side is the more rare side?

My old one that i have had for years and years SN 54XX has the gas inlet on the same side as the frame rail alignment pin which for the sake of this discussion, we will call the left. The new one, SN 60XX has the inlet on the right side.

The new one also has a power tube tip that looks funny to me. The ones that i am used to have a step in them from the end finish diameter to the inside diameter of the bolt shaft (picture a step on the cross section). The new one has a taper from the end diameter to the inside diameter (picture a ramp on the cross section). I know for sure my old one is correct for my marker as it came with that tip when i bought it brand new in the mid-late 90's, so is the one on the new valve from a level 10 or something? if it is something new )i.e. level 10), will it work with my old level 7 bolt, or do i need to get a new tip, spring/spacer, and o-ring or try to find a level 10 bolt only for it? BTW i took the tip off to see if the dozen or so spacers and shims and orings that you seem to need to tune a level 10 were in there but the only thing in there is a .215 spacer.... so at minimum i will need to put an o-ring in there if the tip is fine for a standard bolt.

phizz
01-19-2008, 06:05 PM
right side is common.

IDriveBug
01-19-2008, 07:06 PM
If right side is common, then how come AGD only has minimag bodies (right now) in hopper left or warp right configurations, nether of which will work with a valve inlet on the right and the standard vert asa with the 4" hose... or is the reason they have hopper left and warp right bodies is because the opposite are commonly available elsewhere?

BigTrucker
01-19-2008, 07:21 PM
just get a longer hose and turn the asa around :D

IDriveBug
01-21-2008, 08:31 AM
just get a longer hose and turn the asa around :D

Too bad the next size bigger hose i have hanging around here is 36", but I'm certain that is long enough :)

I found three other minimag bodies in my Mag parts box that are all hopper left... How come i have a ton of hopper left stuff and nothing for the other.... Did it change at some point after i bought all of that stuff? The valves arent that far off S/N wise about 400 apart

SkinnyHare
01-22-2008, 03:11 AM
If right side is common, then how come AGD only has minimag bodies (right now) in hopper left or warp right configurations, nether of which will work with a valve inlet on the right and the standard vert asa with the 4" hose... or is the reason they have hopper left and warp right bodies is because the opposite are commonly available elsewhere?

as far as i know the MM mains they sell as a standalone are old stock. they used to have the full blown selection several years ago, but as time went by i've watched it whittle away to what you see there now.