PDA

View Full Version : Rediculous macro line question

lidocaine
01-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Hello AO,

I have an extremely "dumb" questin about macro line.
I have never used macro and have no clue about anything about it, but im going to run it on my tac one.I wasnt sure how it worked so I was messing around with it trying to put the macro line in the fitting and when I pushed it clicked in and I cant seem to get it out.
Is this a one time permanent deal? I hope not, because I bought some nice fitting and the length I have on it is not the needed length ( I have one fitting on each end, so I cant just cut it to desired length)
How does the fitting grab the macro line? it seemed like a real tight clamp and im curious as to how it did it.

Thanks alot,Lido

Andrewliu6294
01-19-2008, 06:34 PM
push the end of the fitting in, then hold it and pull out the line.

it uses some sort of metal "fingers" to grip and hold the macro line in once pulling force is applied.

Village_idiot
01-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Are you familiar with chinese finger traps? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_finger_trap) :D
same principle here. the more you pull the tighter it gets. You have to push in to release the line.

lidocaine
01-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Oh, so the proper way to insert it is to push until it clicks, then pull tightly to secure it?

Thanks!

maniacmechanic
01-19-2008, 08:18 PM
be sure to get the highest rated (PSI ) line you can get also IIRC there are 3 different grades

lidocaine
01-19-2008, 08:51 PM
IIRC?

I got some 850 psi crap that I dont think im gonna use and I got some from macrolineguy.com , it looks better than the pmi crap I got.

Lenny
01-20-2008, 12:26 AM
IIRC?

I got some 850 psi crap that I dont think im gonna use and I got some from macrolineguy.com , it looks better than the pmi crap I got.
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

SR_matt
01-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Oh, so the proper way to insert it is to push until it clicks, then pull tightly to secure it?

Thanks!

no the proper way is to push it all the way in, hold it in as far as possible and then pull the little inner piece up as far as you an get it... now most people dont do that (heck i dont do that), but that is the "right" way.

-matt

lidocaine
01-20-2008, 07:11 PM
isnt pulling the macro line once fully clicked in the same thing as pulling the metal inner piece upwards?

SR_matt
01-20-2008, 07:20 PM
isnt pulling the macro line once fully clicked in the same thing as pulling the metal inner piece upwards?

no, there will be more space between the seat and the end of the macro line. it can lead to more leaks and potentially doesnt hold as well
-matt

lidocaine
01-20-2008, 07:42 PM
I see, thank you.

lidocaine
01-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Trying to fit my halo b w rip onto my tac one feedneck today and I here by declare its impossible.Any tips on getting it on there? And does the stock tac feedneck come off?

robnix
01-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Trying to fit my halo b w rip onto my tac one feedneck today and I here by declare its impossible.Any tips on getting it on there? And does the stock tac feedneck come off?

Sand down the feedneck on the Halo, and yes, the feedneck comes off. It's angel threaded if you want to replace it. I put Rogues SubZero feedneck on all my mags. It's short, has a large opening, and a large hex screw to make it easy to tighten. Halos fit in them just fine.

trevorjk
01-21-2008, 03:01 PM
the halo will not fit into the stock feedneck unless you sand down the neck on the halo.

my suggestion, is to go and find a nice clamping feedneck (angel threaded) you can get nice ones for around $20-$30. and this way you will never have to fight with a hopper ever again. there are a buntch of brands that make them, CCM, Trinity, Shocktech, Redz, New Designs.. and many many more. just get a nice bicycle feedneck and you should never have a problem

lidocaine
01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks!

Whats a good reccomended clamping feedneck?

trevorjk
01-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks!

everyone here will basically recommend the "sub zero" from RogueFactor.

otherwise go here. www.pbgear.com and search "angel feedneck" all are basically the same. really, the only difference is going to be the size screw and nut that is used.

i personally like trinity because of price and not so flashy look

angrysasquatch
01-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Doesn't the air pressure essentially do the pulling part? I'm pretty sure most macro fails just at an arbitrary place along the tube length, not on the fitting.

SR_matt
01-21-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks!

any one that clamps will be better the ones that you have to twist by hand to tighten are the least effective, the ones that you have to use a tool to tighten are very good but the ones that you tighten by hand then have a little lever to lock it down are the easiest ones. i use a ccm and love it except for the fact i need to use an allen wrench to tighten it

-matt

jenarelJAM
01-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Doesn't the air pressure essentially do the pulling part? I'm pretty sure most macro fails just at an arbitrary place along the tube length, not on the fitting.
True, but the macro doesn't have to fail to leak at the fitting.

SR_matt
01-21-2008, 10:40 PM
ya macro has a bad habbit of leaking at the fittings but i really rarely had a bad seal as long as it was cut well (razor blade or dog nail trimmers work very well, the nail trimmers give a quicker flat cut)

-matt