PDA

View Full Version : OK, What happened to PBL?

Resurection
01-26-2008, 04:57 PM
We always had a thread or two within minutes of AO going down wondering what happened. So I guess it's time to ask over here about PBL. What's up?

MANN
01-26-2008, 05:11 PM
server update.

Resurection
01-26-2008, 05:13 PM
server update.
I was that, too. But I saw that this time yesterday as well. Is the site being redone or is this a hoster issue?

MANN
01-26-2008, 05:19 PM
i dunno. Scott made a post a few days ago saying the site will be down in the next few days for server updates.

A-Tach-One
01-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Here is part of what Scott wrote. "
Starting this weekend PBLegion will be undergoing site maintenance and a server upgrade.

With that said, there will be occurrences of intermittent site maintenance. There will also be service disruptions while the server is moved resulting in possible prolonged periods of down time. If this happens DO NOT PANIC - ALL IS WELL."

I have been on PBL for most of the day but like said here there are some short disruptions. :cheers:

mag79
01-26-2008, 06:23 PM
:mad: :cuss: :mad: :cuss:

PsychoBaller
01-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Here is part of what Scott wrote. "
Starting this weekend PBLegion will be undergoing site maintenance and a server upgrade.

With that said, there will be occurrences of intermittent site maintenance. There will also be service disruptions while the server is moved resulting in possible prolonged periods of down time. If this happens DO NOT PANIC - ALL IS WELL."

I have been on PBL for most of the day but like said here there are some short disruptions. :cheers:

Indeed..., the Matrix has gott'm! :ninja:

RogueFactor
01-26-2008, 07:45 PM
I thought this was self-explanatory...

http://www.pblegion.com/announcement.php?f=5&a=12

robnix
01-26-2008, 07:56 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ThePixelGuru
01-26-2008, 08:21 PM

The irony of this being that one can't see the post if PBLegion is down. That'd be like someone worrying about why they're suddenly blind, and telling them to watch this informational video that will explain everything. ;)

Server updates throughout this weekend, though. Don't panic, it will be back.

RogueFactor
01-26-2008, 10:01 PM
The irony of this being that one can't see the post if PBLegion is down. That'd be like someone worrying about why they're suddenly blind, and telling them to watch this informational video that will explain everything. ;)

Server updates throughout this weekend, though. Don't panic, it will be back.

The irony actually is, if you cant see that post ...you see the site message "Server is updating".

Quite ironic. You see a message either way. Yup.

MANN
01-26-2008, 10:07 PM
I see "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

RogueFactor
01-26-2008, 10:10 PM
I see "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"
Sucks for you. :spit_take

Its up for me. And there are like 26 people in there right now.

MANN
01-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Sucks for you. :spit_take

Its up for me. And there are like 26 people in there right now.

huh. That sucks. Last night I got the "updating the server" message (with the regular pbl background). All day today I get the message I listed above. The generic IE one. :(

RogueFactor
01-26-2008, 10:16 PM
huh. That sucks. Last night I got the "updating the server" message (with the regular pbl background). All day today I get the message I listed above. The generic IE one. :(

Sounds like an IE thing. Empty your cache and reboot. Thats what I suggest.

MANN
01-26-2008, 10:18 PM
S H A Z A M. It works :cheers:

Resurection
01-26-2008, 10:27 PM

Ya know Rogue - sometimes you're just an ***. I don't get to check the boards all day everyday, and since I missed the BIG announcement that was posted with SO much lead time, I guess I missed the obvious (to you) so I waited patiently for a day, and then started a thread to ask because I was sure there was a simple answer and that people would be over here since PBL was down (still - over 24 hrs after my first try) and be able to answer.

Thanks for helping point out the less than obvious, I'll be sure to ask you first what that light is that keeps creeping in my windows every morning.

RogueFactor
01-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Ya know Rogue - sometimes you're just an ***. I don't get to check the boards all day everyday, and since I missed the BIG announcement that was posted with SO much lead time, I guess I missed the obvious (to you) so I waited patiently for a day, and then started a thread to ask because I was sure there was a simple answer and that people would be over here since PBL was down (still - over 24 hrs after my first try) and be able to answer.

Thanks for helping point out the less than obvious, I'll be sure to ask you first what that light is that keeps creeping in my windows every morning.
LOL. :spit_take :rofl:

Dont know who dumped in your wheaties, but thanks for the chuckle.I see youve made it over there now though...so I guess it helped?

Edit: Yes, I am an *** sometimes(more like often, to some all the time.) :cheers:

Resurection
01-26-2008, 10:41 PM
LOL. :spit_take :rofl:

Dont know who dumped in your wheaties, but thanks for the chuckle.I see youve made it over there now though...so I guess it helped?

Edit: Yes, I am an *** sometimes(more like often, to some all the time.) :cheers:

Wheaties? Gee man, have more respect for the Fudge Pop Tarts! I hate it when I get the pack that was on the edge of the belt and only has half coverage of the frosting. :mad:

ThePixelGuru
01-27-2008, 08:31 PM
The irony actually is, if you cant see that post ...you see the site message "Server is updating".

Quite ironic. You see a message either way. Yup.
No, for a while yesterday the DNS couldn't resolve the host, so you got no PBL error message and no access to the thread. Depending on your browser and ISP you get a generic error message and no contact with the PBL server at all. So no, there was a period yesterday when I couldn't see that post or the site message about the server update. I knew what the issue was, but a person trying to connect during the server outage wouldn't.

RogueFactor
01-27-2008, 10:16 PM
No, for a while yesterday the DNS couldn't resolve the host, so you got no PBL error message and no access to the thread. Depending on your browser and ISP you get a generic error message and no contact with the PBL server at all. So no, there was a period yesterday when I couldn't see that post or the site message about the server update. I knew what the issue was, but a person trying to connect during the server outage wouldn't.

That sounds all good, but relies on the assumption of a server outage. Ask BigEvil if you like, there wasnt one(yes, I asked before making the suggestion to Mann). Both sites were live. In fact, if you knew the IP addresses, you could get to both(and still can!).

So, no....it actually has to do with caching. I knew what the issue was, and it sounds a little something like this...

Users generally do not communicate directly with a DNS resolver. Instead DNS-resolution takes place transparently in client-applications such as web-browsers, mail-clients, and other Internet applications. When an application makes a request which requires a DNS lookup, such programs send a resolution request to the local DNS resolver in the local operating system, which in turn handles the communications required."

Adn thats why his client-application caches required being emptied. It only took a few moments for Mann to empty his cache and access the new server/site :D So a person trying to connect during the non-existant server outage that received an error page was really only having caching issues(as noted above).

Another example of caching...Ive bolded an important part for ya ;)

When one changes the NS records for one's domain or the IP addresses for hostnames of authoritative DNS servers using one's domain (if any), there can be a lengthy period of time before all DNS servers use the new information. This is because those records are handled by the zone parent DNS servers (for example, the .com DNS servers if your domain is example.com), which typically cache those records for 48 hours. However, those DNS changes will be immediately available for any DNS servers that do not have them cached. And any DNS changes on your domain other than the NS records and authoritative DNS server names can be nearly instantaneous, if you choose for them to be (by lowering the TTL once or twice ahead of time, and waiting until the old TTL expires before making the change).

This doesnt even take into account routers and router tables, etc. :p

MANN
01-28-2008, 11:20 PM
WTH is it down again? I cleared my catch, but it still says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

nmib
01-28-2008, 11:28 PM
its working for me mann. 8:43PM PST.

MANN
01-28-2008, 11:38 PM
for some reason I have to delete all my history/cookies/etc, and reboot IE every time I try to visit that site. Anyone know whats up?

PsychoBaller
01-28-2008, 11:55 PM
for some reason I have to delete all my history/cookies/etc, and reboot IE every time I try to visit that site. Anyone know whats up?

May be all the fudge-packing... clogs up das internets over there... :tard:

:rolleyes: :dance:

But seriously, ditch IE, and pickup FireFox :clap:

Resurection
01-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Firefox FTW

RogueFactor
01-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Yup, Firefox FTW.

robnix
01-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Sounds like an IE thing. Empty your cache and reboot. Thats what I suggest.

No need to reboot.

Click Start > Run.
Enter ipconfig /flushdns
Click Enter

ThePixelGuru
01-29-2008, 05:40 PM
That sounds all good, but relies on the assumption of a server outage. Ask BigEvil if you like, there wasnt one(yes, I asked before making the suggestion to Mann). Both sites were live. In fact, if you knew the IP addresses, you could get to both(and still can!).

So, no....it actually has to do with caching. I knew what the issue was, and it sounds a little something like this...

Adn thats why his client-application caches required being emptied. It only took a few moments for Mann to empty his cache and access the new server/site :D So a person trying to connect during the non-existant server outage that received an error page was really only having caching issues(as noted above).

Another example of caching...Ive bolded an important part for ya ;)

This doesnt even take into account routers and router tables, etc. :p
Here we go again... Yeah, I suppose one could have gotten to the site by either a) refreshing the DNS entries, or b) entering the IP address directly. However, you "solved" the problem of an individual not being able to get to the forum by linking to a thread on the forum. That's all I was getting at; no need to explain the caching issues to me.

RogueFactor
01-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I suppose one could have gotten to the site by either a) refreshing the DNS entries,
Is that translation for emptying your cache? Or were you referring to the dns flush?(Both are client-side, not host side).

or b) entering the IP address directly.
According to you, there was a server outage. That wouldnt do any good during a server outage. :dance:

That's all I was getting at
You mean that was your intent? Sorry, all I had was the letter of what you said. :D

no need to explain the caching issues to me.
If we were going by intent, common sense would have told me this is true. By the letter, I wouldnt know that though. You really should have explained yourself better, and re-written what you said to better clarify your remarks. :spit_take

ThePixelGuru
01-31-2008, 06:30 AM
Is that translation for emptying your cache? Or were you referring to the dns flush?(Both are client-side, not host side).
Sure. :D

According to you, there was a server outage. That wouldnt do any good during a server outage. :dance:
According to me, you're a disagreeable poo-flinging monkey. One individual's misconceptions don't influence reality... unless you're issuing paintball patents. :rofl:

You mean that was your intent? Sorry, all I had was the letter of what you said. :D

If we were going by intent, common sense would have told me this is true. By the letter, I wouldnt know that though. You really should have explained yourself better, and re-written what you said to better clarify your remarks. :spit_take
Oh, we're playing the "drag in out-of-context BS from other threads" game. Let me play. You left out part of that quotation that makes the whole thing make sense. Know what it was?

However, you "solved" the problem of an individual not being able to get to the forum by linking to a thread on the forum.
How long did you spend pooing on the toilet seat before someone told you to put it up? :spit_take

Good times, good times... Now where's my dead horse smily?

RogueFactor
01-31-2008, 10:13 AM
How long did you spend pooing on the toilet seat before someone told you to put it up? :spit_take

Good times, good times... Now where's my dead horse smily?

Touche. Oh, and its wee-weeing on the toilet seat...

Yes, good times. Sorry, to my knowledge, there is no dead horse smiley on AO. We will have to settle for the spit-take smiley :spit_take

Resurection
01-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Touche. Oh, and its wee-weeing on the toilet seat...

Yes, good times. Sorry, to my knowledge, there is no dead horse smiley on AO. We will have to settle for the spit-take smiley :spit_take

Yea, its that other forum that has the awesome dead horse smiley :cuss:

Mongoose
01-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Yea, its that other forum that has the awesome dead horse smiley :cuss:

which one is that :ninja:

:D

Resurection
01-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Damn, now the other forum is out again - i'm getting the 'Page Can't Be Displayed' error now though.