PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Recommendations

stompdown
01-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Would anyone like to recommend a good barrel to replace the stock barrel on my tac. I hear that the dye ultralite barrell is good. If so what length would be proper? I also notice that RPG parts are hard to come by does anyone know why that is? I would like to upgrade to a nice rail like the thrasher but they are always out of stock. Thanks.

phizz
01-29-2008, 02:50 PM
pretty much any barrel kit works well. I have a WGP kaner kit that I love. I have used both new and old kits and they are great. I also use an ultralight barrel on my xmag with great success. As long as you have a good paint to barrel match you should have no problem no matter what you get. Length wise is mostly preferance, I don't notice much difference in lengths I usually use a 10" or 12" barrel.

stompdown
01-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Good stuff, thanks a bunch.

wetwrks
01-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Um, I belive the Thrasher rail is out of production. You should check with RogueFactor to make certain.

rawbutter
01-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Um, I belive the Thrasher rail is out of production. You should check with RogueFactor to make certain.

Yeah... that's been out of production for a long time.

Only the Dallara rail, Shadow rail, and mini shadow rail are still in production... some of the time, anyway. Stock has been hard to come by, recently.

Anyway... back on topic. The Dye Ultralite is a great choice. Shop around until you find some paint that fits it well, and then you're good to go.

surfbum
01-29-2008, 03:42 PM
im a big fan of the macdev matchstick kit
you get 4 bores and 2 tips
its a really quality barrel kit

and comes in an assortment of colors, as long as you choose black

djellum
01-29-2008, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't buy an ultralight, simply because of the price. Your better off spending your money on good paint than an uber expensive barrel. get a decent barrel and buy good quality paint and your golden.

for a single I'd buy a CP 2 piece. they shoot awsome, are only $40, and and you can buy whatever size that fits the paint you use the most. You can buy an extra back later if you find your needing it, but you shouldnt.

If you go for a kit look into a Scepter. They are well made and I got my kit for $100 , shipped, brand new, with 7 bore sizes. There are others that are just as good - Dye UL, CP, Kaner, the list goes on, but I found this to be the best deal.

On the off chance the paint is really big keep your stock barrel around. The problem with most stock barrels is that the bore size is huge since the manufacturer wants to make sure you can always use it even with garbage/swollen paint. Often your stock will shoot darts if the paint swells.

afortuna
01-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Try this very long review.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2218018

Old School 626
01-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Mann did a very nice study on barrel kits in controlled conditions and he found the best performer to be the Titanium Longbow barrel (From Titianium paintball but they have Aluminum and SS versions as well as Ti). The '00 scepter kit did well too.

From personal experience, I have a Dye Boomstick and an Ultralight. I'm selling the boomstick right now and will probably sell the Ultralight too because I don't think either performs as they should. The ultralight is kind of OK, but only OK in that I get too wide a dispersal for my taste.

spwz99
01-29-2008, 04:51 PM
i like my evil pipe kit. its always shot well. and they can be had for pretty cheap used.

custar
01-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Several guys I play with swear by Hammerhead barrels. However, they also said there are some issues with the fins being difficult to unscrew if the barrel comes loose from the fin. Because of the recess between the front of the Tac One body's barrel opening and the barrel threads, any short back kit like a Hammerhead can have this issue. It's not a huge problem, but you should be aware of it in making your decision.

custar

the music man
01-29-2008, 04:59 PM
I highly recommend the Powerlyte Scepter. It's incredibly cheap for a kit ($115 for 7 inserts, cheaper for less), is very accurate, light, comes in an awesome hard case, and looks awesome.

I've read nothing but highly positive reviews for it. Now that I have my own kit and have played a lot with it, I'm highly positive about it too.

stompdown
01-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks again for the great info! I must say that although I was having trouble tuning my Tac1, I feel fully confident that i will have it performing well in no time thanks to you guys. The wealth of knowledge, and courtesy I have received on these forums has made me proud to be part of this community. Not to mention a proud owner of my Tac-1. Thanks again!

zeroaz
01-29-2008, 06:31 PM
J&J Performance edge kit

azza
01-31-2008, 04:29 AM
Id recommend the Longbow barrel too. Ive got a 14" with a .687 back and it shoots brilliantly, better than any other barrel Ive ever used.