PDA

View Full Version : Rubber finger detents work with a mag?

MoeMag
02-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey, working on a body design and I would like some input... will ego, timmy, whatever style rubber detents work with the brute force metal of a mag bolt? Level 10 or 7

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/MoeRoark/10-2-egodetent.jpg

druid
02-02-2008, 01:44 PM
It should work just fine but you may need to mod the bolt a smidge.

Older Spyders and clones used those detents too and they have an aluminum bolt constantly hitting it but there's a little notch or groove in the bolt where it passes over the detent. You can try this...

Make your detent hole in the breech.

Take a pencil and stick the tip into the hole and manually push the bolt forward and backward to mark the bolt where the detent will hit.

Either take it to a mill or CAREFULLY use a Dremel with stone and make a small groove for the detent to ride in.

See if any of your friends have a Spyder bolt to model it after...the groove is not that long and not that deep so it shouldn't affect anything.

MoeMag
02-02-2008, 02:10 PM
It should work just fine but you may need to mod the bolt a smidge.

Older Spyders and clones used those detents too and they have an aluminum bolt constantly hitting it but there's a little notch or groove in the bolt where it passes over the detent. You can try this...

Make your detent hole in the breech.

Take a pencil and stick the tip into the hole and manually push the bolt forward and backward to mark the bolt where the detent will hit.

Either take it to a mill or CAREFULLY use a Dremel with stone and make a small groove for the detent to ride in.

See if any of your friends have a Spyder bolt to model it after...the groove is not that long and not that deep so it shouldn't affect anything.

Hey yeah... good point. Spyders were like that huh.
Im not sure how keen I am on mod'ing a bolt tho. :confused:

EDIT: That wouldn’t work... the bolt has no rotational constraint, it spins around on the powertube some every shot.

Bad_Dog
02-02-2008, 07:28 PM
yeah, the bolt spins...

whatever you do to it, plan on doing it all 360*

jhart
02-12-2008, 10:48 PM
yeah they work. Docs barrel adapters use this very type of detent. There is a recession in the adapter for the detent to " lay down" in. I actually got mine milled for dual detents from luke. Either way, many people have used em. And if you don't take my word for it talk to Doc about it, i'm sure he would fill ya in.

heres mine:

http://www.putfile.com/pic/7567604