PDA

View Full Version : Old 20oz co2 bottle, what to do with it?

temps
02-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I was going through my gear and found a co2 bottle with the date 05-02, and if I'm not mistaken they have to be tested after 5 years right? To top that off its not even allowed to be filled in my country anymore :p (No TC stamp)

So what is the best/proper way to dispose of the tank?

ultralight
02-04-2008, 04:18 PM
remove/ drill out the valve and use it as the pressure chamber for a LAW.

Chaos_Theory!
02-04-2008, 05:56 PM
I didnt think C02 tanks had to be retested. At least ive never seen or heard of them being tested anyway. Ive seen people using insanly old C02 tanks i know werent ever tested.

punkncat
02-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Most CO2 tanks do require testing.

The best thing to do with it is drop it into the nearest trash receptacle. Considering that a brand new tank is cheaper that most hydrotesters its really not worthwhile to even look into it.

Chaos_Theory!
02-04-2008, 06:17 PM
I think its just that most fields dont even check to see if things need testing. Same goes for compressed air tanks. Since a lot of fields have stations where you fill your own tank they dont even check those.

As you said, buying a new tank would probably be cheaper than having it tested.

ljpiller
02-04-2008, 06:36 PM
If a tank falls within a certain size you don't need to re-hydrotest it, whether it be steel, or aluminum. 7 oz and 3.5 oz CO2 tanks are the only tanks I know of that fit within this size. 13 ci tanks do too.In most cases it's easier and cheaper to just buy a new CO2 tank.

Shoot out any remaining air in the tank, then with a flathead screwdriver press down on the pin while pointing it away from you. This relieves any pressure that shooting didn't get out. You can then recycle the tank. Or, if you want you can take off the valve to look inside. You could even make a lamp out of it. I saw someone turn a tank with an on/off top into a water bottle.

temps
02-04-2008, 07:16 PM
recycling it sounds good.. Anybody know if I can just remove the valve and dump it in my normal recycling or do I bring it down to a special place?

athomas
02-04-2008, 07:19 PM
CO2 tanks less than 2.5" in diameter do not need to be tested.

flying Dutchman
02-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Okay folks 3.5/ 7 /9 and the old long 10 oz are small enough in Dia. not to need retesting.

Scrap aluminum is running about 45 cents a pound so a 20 oz bottle will scrap out at about 60 cents. I know because we just sent down 90 pounds of dead tanks and recievers to the yard. The valve has to be removed. Be sure to drain it first.

Fields that don't check hydros are stupid. They are in violation of the law. The whole rehydro thing falls under the Dept. od Trans. rules and they can fine for each violation.

You are right the hydro is 5 years from the date it was made.

And the person that said it's not practical to rehydro is correct. We have found it's about the price to buy another one and you have a new tank and valve.

If you find a field that doesn't check then cuff the guy in the side of the head and tell him to do his job right.

RRfireblade
02-04-2008, 11:52 PM
So what is the best/proper way to dispose of the tank?

Drill a hole in it and toss it on the recycle bin. ;)

Jackel411
02-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Ive got a whole bunch of tanks that I cut the top off of and use for tool holders...

Ive got 4 on the back of my work bench right now.. one for pens, filers allen keys and misc screws works great :D

athomas
02-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Scrap aluminum is running about 45 cents a pound so a 20 oz bottle will scrap out at about 60 cents. I know because we just sent down 90 pounds of dead tanks and recievers to the yard. The valve has to be removed. Be sure to drain it first. You need to find a new place to take your scrape aluminum. We get around $1.00/lb for raw aluminum here. On the open market aluminum nets almost $3.00/lb, so good raw aluminum scrape still gets a hefty price. However, if your aluminum is mixed with other substances or metals, then you will get a lower price. It pays to remove all foreign matter before you take it to the scrap yard.