PDA

View Full Version : Entry Level Mag Challenge

WalkingTarget
02-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Ok boys and girls, here it is.

I'm throwing down with a challenge for all of you. Most of you are familiar with AGD, most know how they work pretty well.

Here's the challenge.

Design a better entry level mag.

the rules are simple.

1. It must use some sort of Automag valve

2. It must be made of common materials (no sintered tungsten! :ninja: )

3. must be simple!

4. must have the basic features of a common marker (grip, body, etc.)

My Idea:

Valve: start out with a piece of billet aerospace grade aluminum, but make a standard 'classic' valve out of it.

Body: unibody, rail and tube all in one, the sear slot will be CNC milled out out and the sear pin will be threaded in, hexagonal or sloped, with a 1/8" in by 3/16" step down as the 'rail' (more on this later)

Grip Frame: use a standard 45 grip frame, single finger with a removable guard to allow for the use of a doulble trigger with a replacement guard.

Grip(s) ASA mounted into the body in a similar fashion to an autococker ASA, making it simple to remove and replace, add on a gas-through or expansion chamber, stock. so it is ready to shoot at your door.

now, aftermarket, allow some sort of holes in the body to mount rails or other accessories, perhaps using 3/8 or picatinny rails as an option at point of purchase.

have the option of using a fore-arm style grip in place of the front ASA, it would be easy given the pre-existing hole used for the mounting of the ASA, and with a small step it could serve to stabilize this accessory.

ravenlord
02-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Body: Same as classic but with a center feed.

Rail: Aluminium, same as classic rail. 2 holes drilled at the back of the rail to allow the attachment of after market stocks, and other little useless things.

Grip: Standard 45 with a removable trigger gaurd.

ASA: Standard ASA, nothing fancy just something simple with hoses leading to an Expansion chamber

Expansion chamber: same as the TacOne

Valve: Which ever is cheaper, Aluminium or steel to make a classic valve.

It should be sold for something like 250 or so. Come in different colours (Black, Grey, Blue, Red, Green ect.) More or less keep it a mag. But make the building cost as cheap as possible while maintaining the same standards we all know and love from AGD.

punkrex
02-05-2008, 07:34 PM
no boxy rail to round body... Centerfed body which is simmilar in geometry as the rail, integrated vert asa-- This would allow for cool milling designs with out the need to buy an overpriced slug. No external airlines from asa to valve but maybe to a foregrip?
Electronic with eyes, powered by a 9v stored in the grip of a dual trigger frame.

Severe
02-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Seems this is a recurring thread. I've seen this come up several times over the last couple of years.

I will say this, with the move towards lower ROF limitations, I think the automag could become more viable provided they could be produced for under $200.

Here's my idea for a marketable 09'mag:

Body: Polymer castings that slide over a metal (steal/aluminum breach). The body choice would allow the buyer to select HL/HR/CF/WL/WR feed per body. These bodies should be fairly inexpensive to allow for a wide range of options for the buyer. There definitely needs to be a Tac-One style of body that includes the 45 degree picatinny rail points. AUTOCOCKER THREADED!

Rail: Polymer wingless Tac-One rail. Possibly have embedded screw attachment points for picatinny rails. The sear on a pin puts less friction on the rail itself and should prevent long term wear.

Grip: Polymer Standard 45 with a removable trigger guard allows for the user to use a single or double trigger. Easily modified interior space future proofing.

ASA: Dovetail On/off ASA with bleed standard. Drop-forward compatible

Gas-through fore-grip: Similar to the Tac-One bike grip. Possible different rubber sleeves for buyer modification.

Valve: Aluminum Classic Valve with RT Pro on/off. This allows for CO2 & HPA with a slightly reduced trigger pull. Level 10 standard!

Basically I'm suggesting that AGD embrace the heavy use of polymer plastics to replace many parts. Those polymers, I think, should be easier to produce, have sufficient strength and be easily replaced at modest costs. We all know how strong the original single-trigger frames are.

Face it, SP, along with other companies, have capitalized on the concept that is the Tac-One. An all black, marker with a host of picatinny rails on it giving it a pseudo-militaristic look. Except they've done it on the cheap and selling like hot cakes.

I think it would be great to see AGD do the same while incorporating some new (for the 'mag) features like multiple body options via slide on replacement bodies.

DanMan
02-06-2008, 01:58 PM
that is brilliant!! :clap: AGD needs to do this!!

ultralight
02-06-2008, 03:54 PM
valve: stainless classic, market it as indestructible. if tippmann can market aluminum castings as rugged then this should be no problem.

body/rail: basically a micro-type unibody with cocker threads and detents, and the emag threaded holes in the sides for the mounting of toys like the longbow. picatinny rail under the front section for a foregrip. make a picatinny gas through/asa to go here as well. allow for the mounting of a stock adapter that fits CAR stocks.

grip: same as others have stated, 45 with double trigger option.

the target should be to offer a viable competitor to the A-5 at the same price point.

Tao
02-06-2008, 07:02 PM
valve: stainless classic, market it as indestructible. if tippmann can market aluminum castings as rugged then this should be no problem.

body/rail: basically a micro-type unibody with cocker threads and detents, and the emag threaded holes in the sides for the mounting of toys like the longbow. picatinny rail under the front section for a foregrip. make a picatinny gas through/asa to go here as well. allow for the mounting of a stock adapter that fits CAR stocks.

grip: same as others have stated, 45 with double trigger option.

the target should be to offer a viable competitor to the A-5 at the same price point.

If you want to compete with the A5 then you need all the mil sim accessories. Tippman I am sure does nost of its sales from "Oh that looks soooo cool!"

You can have a gun $100 cheaper than tippmann and if it still looks like a classic mag you will loose...

Remember the majority of the painball market are clueless :rolleyes:

olinar
02-07-2008, 01:08 AM
I don't think cost is as big a variable for the scenario market as say versatility and customization.

Everyone who knows what a mag is also knows what one is capable of. BUT they prefer markers that look real. I think someone should make custom adapters that will allow the used of say a5 shrouds and stocks as they are already widely available.

Im going to look into this exact thing for my mag as i have a a5 stock sittin around right now, and i would love to use it on my mag.

djellum
02-07-2008, 06:00 AM
AGD already has nice entry level markers. They have MM and pro classics for $259. It isnt that there not made, its that there not pushed by local shops. $259 is on par with many spyders, tippmans, cockers, Ions, etc. Its a bit more money cause its built better, but the other markers have bells and whistles the mag doesn't. The only way to add the bells and whistles is to skimp on the only thing that is left, quality.

Unfortunately the entry level market (or the market in general) is not filled with people who are willing to spend extra for what they cant see. Still I think if you saw shops put a Spyder, Tippman, and mag on the table and say "cheap enough you can play and decide what you like", "wont fail you and you can upgrade the piss out of it", and "best quality you can have, will work for 20 years", you'd see a more noobs with mags.

Happy noobs I might add :shooting:

the only way to get a Ferarri for the price of a Kia is if its got 4 doors, a 100 hp 4 banger, and is made in Korea - In other words, its a Kia.

luke
02-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Entry level marker at it's best.>>

http://store.airgundesignsusa.com/images/category/33.jpg

What's interesting is only a few years ago this was considered to be the best marker on the field (and still is by some)