PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want a new AGD Logo?

tech-chan
02-06-2008, 04:17 PM
DONE.
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7156/lion12oc6.th.jpg (http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lion12oc6.jpg)
I will be making t-shirts or maybe some more hoodies with this on them. Or how about this one:
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/9049/lion13ds3.th.jpg (http://img507.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lion13ds3.jpg)
The little preview thing is on there until i get t-shirts/stuff made. Anyone interested?

TnDeathInc
02-06-2008, 04:25 PM
#2 is sweet, lets get the sweatshirts in hand 1st :)

tech-chan
02-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Agreed on that, Im still waiting for them to get to me.

behemoth
02-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah, thats awesome!

Companies use images as logos all the time!

Keep up the GREAT photshop work.

tech-chan
02-06-2008, 04:57 PM
lol, thanks behemoth.

TnDeathInc
02-06-2008, 04:59 PM
i have to say that is a very updated and exciting look for AGD.

behemoth
02-06-2008, 04:59 PM
No problem.

I only like giving props to the ones that truly deserve it. This is topnotch photoshoppery.

I can see it on billboards now...

tech-chan
02-06-2008, 05:02 PM
I gotta work on the middle a little bit, and then it'll be great. Im thinking this on a black t-shirt.

Beemer
02-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I gotta work on the middle a little bit, and then it'll be great. Im thinking this on a black t-shirt.

Looks good. The reverse on the letters[words] is to hard to read or is that just me and cause its small?

Spider-TW
02-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Pretty, but do you think it will print (on a shirt) very well? It will be great if it comes close to your image.

tech-chan
02-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Im working on the words rigt now, the background is really hard to fix. And I really do hope this works on a t-shirt, cause Im dying to put this on one.

ObieJ30
02-06-2008, 05:52 PM
badass dude

Chaos_Theory!
02-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Anythign is better than the regualr AGD lion logo.

Ninjeff
02-06-2008, 06:34 PM
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

behemoth
02-06-2008, 07:23 PM

Are you serious?

Chaos_Theory!
02-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Yes, i think the regular lion logo is pretty lame.

tech-chan
02-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Im glad you guys like it, I'm working on a better version. I'm also playing with another one... :headbang: Its not ready yet, but it's getting close. Do you guys want a desktop wallpaper? I should be able to swing that.

teufelhunden
02-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah, thats awesome!

Companies use images as logos all the time!

Keep up the GREAT photshop work.

haha they think you're serious

maniacmechanic
02-06-2008, 09:48 PM

some would probley say the same about you or me

didn't realize the origional logo was broke ?? , some things are not mean't to be changed , Tom has allways be pretty liberial about letting folks use his logo without worring about copyright law's , but that could change , I suppose ??

TnDeathInc
02-06-2008, 10:05 PM
ah let him show his pride by coming up with new things, with that attitude their would be no chords kartas or phoenixs jeez, keep it up it needs a face lift

behemoth
02-06-2008, 10:07 PM
haha they think you're serious

Oh dude, i'm DEAD serious.

I i want t-shirts, hats, banners, billboards, -- Hey, how about a vehicle wrap, those are the new thing, right?!

This new artwork is... well, its.... AWESOME!

anomoly40
02-07-2008, 02:20 AM
FREAKING LIONS AND FIRE!!! :headbang: :shooting: All it needs now is a wizard at the top of the mountain, holding one hand up in the air with lightning striking the glass ball in his hand. :headbang:

Chaos_Theory!
02-07-2008, 07:10 AM
The fanboys on this site always amaze the hell out of me. If you say you dont like something they go nuts and post stupid crap. lol

VTLO910
02-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Seems like the lettering needs to be solid, the flames light/dark mix make it hard to make out from any distance... Even if the logo was outlined or something in white along with the black.

But, that being said, I LOVE IT! :headbang:

tech-chan
02-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Almost finished with a better, more updated version. Should be up later today or tommorrow.

shartley
02-07-2008, 09:30 AM
I think it is too busy. It is too hard to read and distinguish elements from each other at a glance. I think it is overall poor design work. Sure, it might be fun Photoshop play, but for an actual product.... I don't see it.

Also, is this for personal use or are you going to sell them? If you are going to sell them you are putting the cart in front of the horse... get AGD's approval on the design and production/sale first.

But then again, I can't count the number of times folks have posted similar threads here on AO that ended up being nothing more than the thread itself. ;)

tech-chan
02-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Gees, whats your problem? If I sell these, it will be with AGD's permission. If you don't like the artwork, thats fine. And thank you very much, I go through with everything I attempt.

shartley
02-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Gees, whats your problem? If I sell these, it will be with AGD's permission. If you don't like the artwork, thats fine. And thank you very much, I go through with everything I attempt.
Problem? No problem here. You posted a thread and I responded to it. And I posted from experience and actual knowledge on design as well as what I have seen over the years here on AO.

tech-chan
02-07-2008, 09:46 AM
I apologize for jumping all over you. Still, explain to me exactly what the problem is with it.

punkncat
02-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Problem? No problem here. You posted a thread and I responded to it. And I posted from experience and actual knowledge on design as well as what I have seen over the years here on AO.

Yes, the great Shartley has spoken. (Insert thunder here)

teufelhunden
02-07-2008, 09:52 AM
I apologize for jumping all over you. Still, explain to me exactly what the problem is with it.

It's really ugly and you're 18 years old? (it takes money to do things)

tech-chan
02-07-2008, 09:53 AM
What?

shartley
02-07-2008, 09:58 AM
No worries.

First of all, it is not really a new logo. It is a design that uses the lion theme and the current AGD logo placed on it.

When designing these types of things you need to remember that they are not for showcasing your skills with filters or photoshop. They should be to present a clear and easy to view concept or message. With that said, the logo is hard to see against the flaming lion background. It in short, gets lost.

You really want folks to be able to see all important elements at a glance, and at a reasonable distance.

Your current designs fail to do that.

Also the weight and balance of the overall design should be even. What you have now is top heavy. To me it looks unbalanced and odd.

The way you have the ribbons of the actual logo covering the eyes is also odd to me. The eyes of a lion convey power, and you are covering them up as if you are putting blinders on them. This is kind of diminishing or controlling the power you are attempting to convey by the flames. It works against itself.

I will also point out that your design should be fitted for the space you intend to use it. This design on a t-shirt will look odd IMHO because it does not use the full available space and look like someone took a web banner and slapped it on a shirt.

What I would suggest is taking the available space on a shirt and designing something that will fit that space, not take a banner shaped design and place it on a shirt.

One other point that you may consider is that this design will look "slapped" on a shirt since it does not fade evenly at all edges. It will have the appearance of a mall t-shirt where they just take your picture and slap it on a shirt. Look around at the shirts you have that are like what you are trying to do... do any of them look like this? Probably not. And for good reason.

These are just a few things off the top of my head. They are not meant to be demeaning or insulting in any way. And I think if you sit back and evaluate your design from just these few angles you will see where you can improve and accomplish what will not only look good, but work well for the intended purpose.

tech-chan
02-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Thank you for the lesson, here is another try:
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2022/liononeia9.th.png (http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=liononeia9.png)
(no preview for desktop)

shartley
02-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Thank you for the lesson, here is another try:
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2022/liononeia9.th.png (http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=liononeia9.png)
(no preview for desktop)
No problem. It was not intended to be a lesson though, just to give reasons why I posted what I did.

With that said, I think this new design is much better than the first one.

But look to the balance, it is still off. Your design has two weight points, the logo and the face of the lion. If you place them in an even spacing in the given space it will feel weighted better. Right now the logo is a bit too far to the left and lower than would be ideal IMHO to balance the picture.

Also the logo is still being lost in the flames. You can help avoid this by outlining the logo with white or even yellow or orange. Give it a try and see how it looks.

tech-chan
02-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Working on that now.

shartley
02-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Oh, and your new direction would work well with adding a saying to it. Something like:

"Free your inner fire"
or
"Feed your inner fire"

....or something along those lines.

Also, you may want to do some work around the eyes of the lion. At first glance it looks like the lion is closing its eyes. But when you look harder it looks like the eyes are simply bright fire. By adding some sort of defining eyebrow or eye ridge you can probably get rid of this visual confusion.

tech-chan
02-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Hmmm, maybe change the logo itself?
Possibly: Feed your inner fire, shoot a Mag.
Is that what you mean?

shartley
02-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Hmmm, maybe change the logo itself?
Possibly: Feed your inner fire, shoot a Mag.
Is that what you mean?
I think the logo is fine. I would advise just adding a tag line below it all.

You know, like Nike and "Just do it". They didn't change the logo, they simply added a slogan to it.

tech-chan
02-07-2008, 10:16 AM
I see, but what about the logo thats already on there: Quality always shoots straight?

shartley
02-07-2008, 10:19 AM
I see, but what about the logo thats already on there: Quality always shoots straight?
I say leave that as is. It is what folks have come to know from AGD. Don't reinvent the wheel, just spice it up a bit.

Again, this is not really redoing a logo, but making a t-shirt design.

tech-chan
02-07-2008, 10:22 AM
So your saying put the fire thing underneath the current logo? or on the other side or something?

shartley
02-07-2008, 10:29 AM
So your saying put the fire thing underneath the current logo? or on the other side or something?
I would suggest putting the new saying along the bottom of the overall design. Make use of the space you have available to you.

But like the logo itself, it should not get lost in the flames. I would suggest using a white text with a modest black border around it. Nothing fancy, a simple font will do fine. The more fancy you get with the font the more it will fight with the flaming lion, and that should be avoided.

Also, I suggest making your design with a black background (if you are going to do it on black shirts). Then put THIS design on that and fade all edges to black. That will get rid of the sharp line that would be created if you used what you have now. The design will blend into the shirt not have sharp edges like a picture just slapped on it.

tech-chan
02-07-2008, 10:38 AM
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1738/liononelg2.th.png (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=liononelg2.png)
That any better?

shartley
02-07-2008, 10:45 AM
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1738/liononelg2.th.png (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=liononelg2.png)
That any better?
I think you are pulling it together better, yes. But the balance is still off a bit. Still weighted a bit to the left.

As for the text on the bottom. I would suggest it be larger, and thicker font. Maybe even all in capitals? And add an exclamation point at the end of it to really pump it up a bit?

Also, don't forget to outline the logo, it is still getting lost a bit in the flames. You really should want it to stand out a bit.

tech-chan
02-07-2008, 10:53 AM
THanks for the pointers, I may be a little rude, but I do like to learn. I'll work on this at home, classes are finished today at the college.

DevilMan
02-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Well not everyone likes blatantly obvious logos and designs. So that goes back to MATTER OF OPINION... and we all know what they say about opinions.

So someone saying that, "It's not obvious and that's bad" is their opinion. I personally like it when something hides within other forms. From a distance a person may see flaming lions heads and not notice the AGD in the middle. That's fine with me. Some folks like to have to look deeper into stuff.

But as I said... THIS IS MY OPINION...

Good work TC... and learn all you like, but remember. You are the only one who knows how you will like it best. You may not like it the way the other folks say you should do it. And well that's where the choice has to be made as to which way to go.

DM

behemoth
02-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Awesome Photoshop Lessons, SHARTLEY.

You should put together one of those tutorial sites!

shartley
02-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Well not everyone likes blatantly obvious logos and designs. So that goes back to MATTER OF OPINION... and we all know what they say about opinions.

So someone saying that, "It's not obvious and that's bad" is their opinion. I personally like it when something hides within other forms. From a distance a person may see flaming lions heads and not notice the AGD in the middle. That's fine with me. Some folks like to have to look deeper into stuff.

But as I said... THIS IS MY OPINION...

Good work TC... and learn all you like, but remember. You are the only one who knows how you will like it best. You may not like it the way the other folks say you should do it. And well that's where the choice has to be made as to which way to go.

DM
This is all true. But I will point out that when the logo in this instance gets lost in the flames it is not by design but because of poor design. I too think it is cool sometimes when something hides in a more complex image/situation. But it has to be designed that way, and not simply because it is slapped together and it happens to get lost. And with that said, getting lost and hiding are two different things.

Having to look deeper into things should be by design, not because of poor design work. And honestly, I think we know what the case is this time.

Again, you do bring up important points and ones that are quite correct.

Personal opinion is also very subjective and folks will indeed have differences in them. But when something is for more than just personal use, you have to go with some pretty standard guidelines and what the majority would think is best. And that is why we see the things in marketing that we do. Folks will notice some norms and standard design layouts because that is what works and is most pleasing to the eye. Weight, balance, color, and composition are important. And it can be the difference between looking like something was just tossed together or it was actually designed to work.

I was in no way trying to say that my opinions were the only ones or that they were the only way to do it. But what I did post was some pretty basic design guidelines, and ones most of the graphic artist here (and elsewhere) know and follow for affective design. And often times before learning the basics and WHY they are done the way they are, we may think we like something; however when shown some tricks and tips we see that we may like it a lot better another way… and for reasons we had not considered.

It is up to him though, to either take the advice (and in this case advice asked for), or not. It’s all good. :headbang:

Awesome Photoshop Lessons, SHARTLEY.

You should put together one of those tutorial sites!
Thank you. I just wanted to help if I could. I only posted (as I stated above) some pretty basic design guidelines and how they affected his work. He could have chosen to ignore them or go with them.

I also didn’t want to just say “it sucks” without offering some sort of reason why I thought that and a possible improvement as I saw it. No one learns that way and honestly it becomes counter productive.

As for the tutorial site… no thank you. LOL My plate is already too full as it is. That is why I don’t visit much any more. :cheers:

DevilMan
02-07-2008, 12:31 PM
This is all true. But I will point out that when the logo in this instance gets lost in the flames it is not by design but because of poor design. I too think it is cool sometimes when something hides in a more complex image/situation. But it has to be designed that way, and not simply because it is slapped together and it happens to get lost. And with that said, getting lost and hiding are two different things.

Having to look deeper into things should be by design, not because of poor design work. And honestly, I think we know what the case is this time.

Again, you do bring up important points and ones that are quite correct.

Personal opinion is also very subjective and folks will indeed have differences in them. But when something is for more than just personal use, you have to go with some pretty standard guidelines and what the majority would think is best. And that is why we see the things in marketing that we do. Folks will notice some norms and standard design layouts because that is what works and is most pleasing to the eye. Weight, balance, color, and composition are important. And it can be the difference between looking like something was just tossed together or it was actually designed to work.

I was in no way trying to say that my opinions were the only ones or that they were the only way to do it. But what I did post was some pretty basic design guidelines, and ones most of the graphic artist here (and elsewhere) know and follow for affective design. And often times before learning the basics and WHY they are done the way they are, we may think we like something; however when shown some tricks and tips we see that we may like it a lot better another way… and for reasons we had not considered.

It is up to him though, to either take the advice (and in this case advice asked for), or not. It’s all good. :headbang:

Thank you. I just wanted to help if I could. I only posted (as I stated above) some pretty basic design guidelines and how they affected his work. He could have chosen to ignore them or go with them.

I also didn’t want to just say “it sucks” without offering some sort of reason why I thought that and a possible improvement as I saw it. No one learns that way and honestly it becomes counter productive.

As for the tutorial site… no thank you. LOL My plate is already too full as it is. That is why I don’t visit much any more. :cheers:

Well said sir. I just wanted it to be out there that not everyone sees it the same way. When one person speaks up it may be construed as the whole collective thinks the same even though that is not true. Just trying to point that out.

I personally liked the double lion with the logo in the middle, though I wish the logo was lower but still centered. I don't care for the single lion with the logo to a side because I think it offsets the symmetry of the AGD logo which is balanced left to right for the most part. So offsetting that by putting it to one side or the other of the lion makes it look weird to me. But keep in mind that's my opinion. I do agree that it was somewhat hard to read but not overly so. I think a play with the logo color could do wonders for popping the logo from the background if that's the route he wants to take, but as I said I like it somewhat blurred into the background so the first look of it is two flamed lion heads.

shartley
02-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Well said sir. I just wanted it to be out there that not everyone sees it the same way. When one person speaks up it may be construed as the whole collective thinks the same even though that is not true. Just trying to point that out.

I personally liked the double lion with the logo in the middle, though I wish the logo was lower but still centered. I don't care for the single lion with the logo to a side because I think it offsets the symmetry of the AGD logo which is balanced left to right for the most part. So offsetting that by putting it to one side or the other of the lion makes it look weird to me. But keep in mind that's my opinion. I do agree that it was somewhat hard to read but not overly so. I think a play with the logo color could do wonders for popping the logo from the background if that's the route he wants to take, but as I said I like it somewhat blurred into the background so the first look of it is two flamed lion heads.
Oh I agree that the way it is now is not weighted quite right either. I even pointed that out to him. It can be done, but things have to be moved around a bit.. you know, tweaked just a tad. Sometimes the slightest position change of an element can make a HUGE difference in how the overall design works.... the same with color. You can make large changes overall by little changes in the actual design.

The double lion is good too and I didn't even suggest going away from that. But like you pointed out, the logo would have to be lowered and some other tweaks for even that one to work right visually.

All in all though, I think both the design and the thread have taken a positive direction. And that is a good thing. :clap:

rawbutter
02-07-2008, 12:50 PM
FREAKING LIONS AND FIRE!!! :headbang:

Heck yeah!!! I'd put that on my desktop!!! :headbang:

ThePixelGuru
02-07-2008, 07:14 PM
That AGD logo desperately needs some antialiasing. Also, have you tried it with a thin white border? Seems like that could make it stand out really well, especially if you feathered it for a more subtle effect.

How about a 1024x768 background version, sans "inner fire" text? Looking good, though.

warbeak2099
02-07-2008, 07:53 PM
I like how it's coming along. As shartley said, add some definition to the AGD logo and beef up the bottom slogan.

EDIT:

Here's a slogan idea. You've created a veritable monster here. This is a ferocious and wild lion with a flaming mane. It is for all intents and purposes the epitome of a beast. Now when you shoot an AGD product what does it have to do with the creature you have here? You're UNLEASHING THE BEAST! When you shoot AGD, this freaking thing is coming out the end of your barrel and mauling the competition.

In short, UNLEASH THE BEAST!

RRfireblade
02-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Didn't read it all but :

Pretty picture , neat T Shirt , bad logo. :)

To busy , to hard to put on a variety of items/products/things. That fire effect is getting a bit over done. :ninja:

Spider-TW
02-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Didn't read it all but :

Pretty picture , neat T Shirt , bad logo. :)

To busy , to hard to put on a variety of items/products/things. That fire effect is getting a bit over done. :ninja:
Fire is definitely tough to do on shirt prints, but these guys are making a very interesting shot at it.

Whatever you guys develop for the middle, you might work with an outlilne other than rectangular (maybe irregular) and give it a thin black border and put it on a black shirt. I think there is enough color other than orange to keep it out of the halloween category.

I think it's working.

secretweaponevan
02-08-2008, 11:04 AM
...But I will point out that when the logo in this instance gets lost in the flames...

Good point.

Logos should "punch" without being too busy where you have to discern the message.

tech-chan, really good photoshop work! Way better than I can do.
Maybe make the logo a negative out of the white-hot of the flames? That might have stark contrast with the flames/lion.

tech-chan
02-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Im working on the flame coming into the agd logo, kinda of merging... Its coming along and I will post another version tommorrow.

doc_Zox
02-08-2008, 07:18 PM
http://www.gerryriskin.com/Lion.jpg

a more dramatic lion

jade_monkey07
02-08-2008, 07:36 PM
iv got it on my desktop already, looks good:)
and that lion looks like hes yawning :p