PDA

View Full Version : Help! SLOW recock - new (used) automag RT - help!

batcook09
02-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Hey All, I just picked up a used automag with the RT valve - I've ALWAYS wanted a mag - since I was 13 and playing with a friend who had one - finally 15 years later I found a great deal on a used one I could afford - I jumped at it!

The problem I'm having is after each shot it takes just over 1 second to re-cock. I can't figure out what this is! The balls are flying at 280fps and very accurate, and the gun feels incredibly good, it just doesn't shoot fast b/c it recocks so slowly!

I oiled everything I could find - I dropped extra oil all over the on/off assembly and got a new rod for the sear assembly (the old one was worn to the point the trigger had about 1/4 inch between it and the rod!) and it is still recocking very slowly!

Any help would be appreciated! I'm so excited to have a mag, having it not work right is breaking my heart! :confused:

MournBlade
02-08-2008, 06:51 PM
check the banjo torque. check the spring if the spring compresses easily replace.

SummaryJudgement
02-08-2008, 11:05 PM
check the banjo torque. check the spring if the spring compresses easily replace.

Yes, check your spring first.

Also, Make sure your grip frame screws aren't overtightened. They should just be tight enough. You can tighten the rear thumb-screw by hand just as tight as you can, and the forward grip-frame screw with an Allen wrench, but just finger tight. If they are over tightened you can actually warp the shape of the rail and body a little. This will usually result in bolt-stick, so you may be experiencing back-forward travel bolt-stick (although it usually happens during the forward-bolt travel from what I've seen).

Test the spring, then try and adjust your grip-frame screws....

:)

batcook09
02-09-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm going to sound stupid here - what's the banjo torque? where is the banjo? I can't find it in the exploded view anywhere. The spring is pretty stiff - how hard is it supposed to be to compress? It doesn't feel worn out at all, but I don't have anything to compare it with.

batcook09
02-09-2008, 09:39 AM
ok, I figured out the banjo bolt is what holds the RT valve down to the frame. Loosening that and the front bolt made the gun work great! I tightened the bolts as much as I could until it started missing again, but the frame and the rail have a lot of play now - do you think I could put some kind of soft spacer between the rail and the frame to take tha play out w/o warping it and causing it to catch again? Has anyone ever had that kind of problem?

Thanks again for your replies - I'm so excited to have a mag that is working great now!

Spider-TW
02-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Assuming it is a twistlock body, try it with and with out the barrel as it starts to bind. It could be that the barrel is catching.

Rather than shimming anything, try to hunt down the interference and correct it. Although, if something is warped the wrong way you may not be able to avoid it. Someone would have to use a wrench (or a hammer) awful hard to warp a stock RT.

batcook09
02-09-2008, 02:13 PM
I played with it all morning - it looks like my grip frame is warped, and when I tighten both the bolts holding everything to it, the body bends just slightly - it still fires, but the return is slow - I may try to correct the frame or I may just spring for a new one.

Thanks to you all for helping me with this - you have no idea how excited I am to have a mag!

Spider-TW
02-09-2008, 04:38 PM
You might post some pics of the frame, somebody may have an idea on fixing it.

Do you think it is the original frame? There's something about milling the 'wings' off of frames when going to or coming from an RT. I always have to wonder how something like that gets bent.

Lenny
02-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Glad to hear you're fixing up and old RT. Beautiful guns. They're starting to become relatively uncommon, and pretty hard to come by in tip-top shape.

SkinnyHare
02-09-2008, 08:04 PM
You might post some pics of the frame, somebody may have an idea on fixing it.

Do you think it is the original frame? There's something about milling the 'wings' off of frames when going to or coming from an RT. I always have to wonder how something like that gets bent.

haha, how did Doc put it... "hammer it straight on a mandrel. swing hard" i think it was. that was for TIG warping though.

batcook09
02-11-2008, 09:03 AM
I'll get some pictures of it today and post them up of the frame - the rail is old and buggered up - especially in the back where the RT valve rests. The groove where the valve would normally slid and twist in is just torn up - to the point where the valve just slides in straight if its in the groove or not!

secretweaponevan
02-12-2008, 01:22 AM
Lay the rail on a piece of glass or a mirror to see how warped it is. A new rail might fix your problem.

Good lucks, and congrats on the sexy mag.

athomas
02-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Give the valve a good cleaning. Change the bolt spring. Bolt springs are consumable items and need to be changed periodically. A worn bolt spring will cause bolt sticking like you mentioned.