PDA

View Full Version : Level 10 bolt not Fully seating

thedeceiver
02-12-2008, 11:48 AM
I have an x-valved mag with ult and a hyperframe. I also have an adjustable reg (smartparts max-flo).

I am having issues with the level 10 bolt fully resetting. After firing a string, it would not fully reset and leak. I would have to push the bolt back with my finger. However its not bolt stick or anything like that, its probably a mm or less of travel that it needs to fully seat. At other times it seats fine.

I was using the grey lvl x spring (longest). I just switched to the red, but i haven't tried it with air. I think it has to do with the dwell on the hyperframe ( I tried the settings in the hyperframe faq thread to no avail)?

When I play around with the settings it helped reduce it, however it was difficult to get the marker to fire consistently, I would pull the trigger faster than the marker could cycle, even at high psi input of +/-1150psi. The other factors that I am thinking is the bumper between the bolt and valve. Right now I am using a blue level 7 bumper because my local shop had one laying around. The other thing is that I may want to go down a carrier size? Could it be that the carrier has worn in and worn down enough that it is letting air through and not allowing it to fully seat? I am trying to see if anyone has any other ideas how to tackle this.

The other problem I have is that the max-flo reg's on/off valve is defective, it does not work at all (I have tried a bunch of o-ring to no avail). Since I air up the tank with it directly connected to the tank, it slowly leaks some of the air through the bolt.

well thanks for reading =)

rawbutter
02-12-2008, 12:50 PM
It sounds like you have one of two problems.

1. The bumper. The old level 7 bumper is much more "bouncy" than the new Level 10 bumper. Get a new one from the AGD store. I'm willing to bet that replacing the bumper will fix the problem.

2. The carrier o-ring. If the bumper isn't the culprit, then your carrier o-ring is too small, and therefore too tight. It's causing friction, which lowers the bolt's backward momentum, which is causing it not to work properly. Replacing it with the next larger carrier might fix your problem.

My money's on the bumper, though.

thedeceiver
02-12-2008, 02:04 PM
alrighty, I am gonna do that. thanks for the input. what about a power tube spacer kit? would that work out on an x-valve. It doesn't have x-valve listed for support on agd's site however, being that the RT valve and the X are so similar...iono?

MournBlade
02-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Power tube spacers are for level 7 valves.

thedeceiver
02-12-2008, 03:37 PM
you mean level 7 bolts? ugh...i ordered a set from agd...anyone interested in a set of powertube spacers? lol

well I ordered a few of the bumpers 2 sets of 2. I also ordered some quick disconnect hardware so I can do some sort of work around to the on/off on my smart parts tank.

athomas
02-12-2008, 10:01 PM
It sounds like you are getting bolt stick. Bolt stick, even if it is only minor can affect the reset time of the bolt and therefore affects the time that the valve has to recharge. This would affect the ability of the valve to rapid fire, even at a high input pressure. Your best bet is to try the next larger carrier with the same white carrier oring. Do this without any powertube shims installed to make sure you don't get any leaking introduced that may be caused by the shims rather than the carrier size.

The blue bumper you have won't cause any problems. They are a bit harder so they don't protect the front of the valve as well. On the upside, they last longer. The clear urethane bumpers stretch and tear during use unless they are epoxied to the front of the valve.

thedeceiver
02-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Just to help make things clear, I got the gun to rapid fire and be consistent with the hyperframe, however i didn't save/write down those settings because I still had some leaking through the bolt. However when I kept messing with the settings I got some short stroking and the bolt was not leaking. All I know is the hyperframe isn't helping =/

Also if I remember correctly, if I put my finger to interrupt the level 10 bolt, it would reset fine.

Another note, I have like 2 rings of wear on the power tube tip assembly, the brass valve tip. the rings of wear are right where it changes from hex tip to round tip.

athomas
02-13-2008, 06:38 PM
The dwell setting should be at least 15ms. Adjust it up from there to suit your setup. Leaking through the bolt, could be caused by too many shims installed in the powertube. Take them out when making level 10 carrier adjustments. That way you make sure any leaking is carrier induced rather than shim induced, and should be able to more accurately find the proper carrier size.

Don't worry a bout the wear on the powertube tip. When the bolt is fully extended, it can move against the powertube tip and cause minor rub marks. It won't affect the operation.