PDA

View Full Version : Pump Mag help

GroovYChickeN 2.o
02-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Ok so I got my pump rail the other day and I have spent last day and a half trying to get the blasted thing to work.

Its a classic valve with a level 7 bolt. I'm using one of Jay's pump kits and a milled eclipse rail.

The main problem is that it does not functioning as a pump reliably. Some time it will require me to pump the handle in order to shoot. Other times it will function as a semi-auto.

I've tried all 4 of my wave springs and all of the different bolt springs. I've also tried two different sears all to the same effect.

Anyone able to help me trouble shoot this? :cry:

Arstron
02-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Ok so I got my pump rail the other day and I have spent last day and a half trying to get the blasted thing to work.

Its a classic valve with a level 7 bolt. I'm using one of Jay's pump kits and a milled eclipse rail.

The main problem is that it does not functioning as a pump reliably. Some time it will require me to pump the handle in order to shoot. Other times it will function as a semi-auto.

I've tried all 4 of my wave springs and all of the different bolt springs. I've also tried two different sears all to the same effect.

Anyone able to help me trouble shoot this? :cry:

Did you leave the bumper behind the wave spring? The original kits work best with a clear RT bumper, which is what I am using with jays kit, I havnt tried it with a blue bumper yet though.

Gen
02-13-2008, 03:52 PM
I am successfully running the blue bumper AND the wave spring for consistent pump function. It has been very reliable this way. I tried it with the wave spring alone and it would be nothing but semi-auto. Try putting a bumper back in it and see what happens.

GroovYChickeN 2.o
02-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Ok so the bumper is supposed to be behind the wave spring? I was told that I needed to trim the bumper to fit inside the spring. Well, at least I have an extra.

***EDIT***

Ok, so I put the gun together the gun with my blue bumper then the wave spring then the bolt. Now I cant pump the marker far enough to have the sear catch the bolt. :cuss:

Gen
02-13-2008, 08:55 PM
I tried it with a trimmed bumper inside the spring, but it never would work reliably work for me. For some reason, haveing the stock blue bumper behind the wave spring works out great for me.

Smoothice
02-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Well they are supposed to have a trimmed blue bumper inside the wave spring.

It sounds like your level 7 spring is too strong. Or your wave spring is too weak.

Do you have a shorter or older level 7 spring? If so try it.

If you have an extra spring you could try trimming it a little.

Another route would be too make your wave spring stronger. I have heard people using part of another wave spring in addition to a whole one.

GroovYChickeN 2.o
02-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Well I am using the short gold spring but I don't have an extra so I don't really want to try and trim it. I guess I could try to make the wave spring harder.

Another question. Is the RT/X bumper thiner than the classic? If so would that fix the problem. Not that I have one I'm just fishing for answers right now.

Ninjeff
02-14-2008, 12:01 AM
I might have one dude. I have two extra bumpers.

Gen
02-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Wow, thanks for that little tidbit of info smoothice. I switched from a 50mm spring to a 42mm spring and was able to leave out the bumper. HUGE difference in the amount of pressure to recock it now. So much easier. Now I just need to trim a bumper to keep the spring centered.

So get or make a shorter spring, that worked for me.

Gen

PumpMag
02-14-2008, 01:16 AM
Well they are supposed to have a trimmed blue bumper inside the wave spring.

It sounds like your level 7 spring is too strong. Or your wave spring is too weak.

Do you have a shorter or older level 7 spring? If so try it.

If you have an extra spring you could try trimming it a little.

Another route would be too make your wave spring stronger. I have heard people using part of another wave spring in addition to a whole one.

Smoothice, I think you might have the most likely solution.

finnmanpa
02-14-2008, 12:40 PM
I've always used the stock blue bumper uncut with fantastic results.

Any cut bumper I tried always resulted in semi-auto function.

Smoothice
02-14-2008, 01:07 PM
I've always used the stock blue bumper uncut with fantastic results.

Any cut bumper I tried always resulted in semi-auto function.

Go with whatever works :cheers:

PumpMag
02-15-2008, 12:11 AM
I've always had to cut the blue bumpers. :p

GroovYChickeN 2.o
02-19-2008, 12:50 AM
Ok! So I dug through my stuff and I still only have one gold spring. I do also however have a longer red and silver ones. Should I trim one of these? If so how far back should I trim it??

Smoothice
02-19-2008, 12:56 AM
i would just take a little off at a time.

Try it. If it still resets the bolt take a little more off.

flyingpootang
02-19-2008, 01:31 AM
You can weaken your bolt spring by slightly heating it up with a torch to relieve some of its springiness, but be sure to do it a little at a time to avoid making it brittle.

GroovYChickeN 2.o
02-19-2008, 08:03 PM
When I clip the spring should I bend the spring so it is flat again on the top? Or will the fact that its not flat mater. I would just think that it would unbalance the pressure on the bolt causing something bad to happen.

PumpMag
02-20-2008, 12:26 AM
If above doesn't work, check your sear and bolt for excessive wear. If the edges are worn, the sear/bolt won't catch causing it to go semi. Try a new sear/new bolt.

Smoothice
02-20-2008, 12:28 AM
If above doesn't work, check your sear and bolt for excessive wear. If the edges are worn, the sear/bolt won't catch causing it to go semi. Try a new sear/new bolt.

would that cause it to go semi or full auto?

PumpMag
02-20-2008, 12:34 AM
would that cause it to go semi or full auto?

semi

Gen
02-20-2008, 12:40 AM
If the sear / bolt don't catch, wouldn't that make it either full auto or pump ? Sear / bolt not catching = having to reset the bolt with the pump, right?

Smoothice
02-20-2008, 12:46 AM
If the sear / bolt don't catch, wouldn't that make it either full auto or pump ? Sear / bolt not catching = having to reset the bolt with the pump, right?

thats what i was thinking.

PumpMag
02-20-2008, 02:42 AM
If your bolt/sear edges are very worn on an Automag Pump set-up, then when you pump the handle, the bolt fails to stay engaged with the sear, which will slip.

You may get double shots, intermittent semi behavior, but not full auto because the wave spring still prevents the bolt from fully resetting.

Groovy, try using a New bolt with the shortest spring, and use the best sear with the sharpest edge.

GroovYChickeN 2.o
02-20-2008, 08:15 PM
So Ninjeff gave me an even shorter gold spring that he had and the pump-mag works now.

Thanks everyone for all the help. :cheers:

Smoothice
02-20-2008, 08:35 PM
:dance:

Ninjeff
02-21-2008, 08:33 PM
So Ninjeff gave me an even shorter gold spring that he had and the pump-mag works now.

Thanks everyone for all the help. :cheers:

:headbang: :headbang: :shooting: :headbang: :headbang:

mpsd
02-21-2008, 08:42 PM
:headbang: :headbang: :shooting: :headbang: :headbang:

So, now, to the pics... :clap: