PDA

View Full Version : Paintball and its survival

punkncat
02-14-2008, 08:56 AM
This is, unlike what the title may infer, NOT one of those doomsday threads.
There is a lot of talk and we can certainly see evidence of paintball going through some shrinkage and pains returning to some state of normalcy. There for a while, there is no question that max growth had brought on a lot of fields, services, and even markers that the sport could not support.
I have been doing a little bit of research finding fields that are still open in the area. A great deal of what is listed around is in fact closed, and I worried a lot about what seemed to be the trend. And then as I dug deeper I noticed that I was finding a lot of places I never knew existed. A lot of old places that are still around, and even out of the ashes of some places newcomers still willing to toss their hat in the ring.

The sport is also returning to a level that is more freindly to the first timer. Even the tourney boys are having to tone it down with the new cap...but there are a whole line up of markers available for inexpensive initial investment, shooting slower ROF and still quite capable. The result isn't in yet, but I hope to see that many players turned off by this arms race find thier way back to the game. A game I hope is evolving a friendlier face for all involved.

Basically it had to come down to affordability at some point or another. Of course there will always be people throwing money at high end equipment that the only need for it for status. Hell I am a gun whore and I love having a few show pieces. Truth be told though in the average game day at an open play field, all I or anyone else really need is something semi and reliable.
Most new players are buying stuff from wally world and dick's. CO2 is still one of the most prevelant power sources, easily found and longer lasting than HPA for a backyard game, which by far is also the most popular way to play the game. Cheap JABB's, Tippy's and shaker hoppers are still the most common equipment.

It has become time that rather than coddle the high end player and drive everyone to have the fastest, most expensive marker and equipment that we nurture the new player. Introduce them to what for many of us older players actually drew us to the sport. Not so much only because we liked the game, but because we liked the people, liked the venues, liked hanging out and talking about what a fun time we had as much as the rest. And not having to complain about getting overshot, bunkered, bad attitudes and everything else that I hope we can move away from. That the group we play with once again become and realize friendship and honor.

I hope I didn't ramble too much...let's all make an effort to help a new guy (or girl) out. Bring someone new to the sport and give them a reason to continue playing. Support your local field. Support a brick and mortar even if it costs you a few more dollars. Let's get this back where it should be.

Chrishew09
02-14-2008, 12:06 PM
To comment of the shrinking number of fields/companies.

Paintball is a luxury item for just about everyone, and with the way the economy is right now the public is not spending money and luxury items. Its not just the paintball industry that is suffering the entire country is, just take a look at the housing market if you dont believe me.
When times are hard and money is tight the first thing to go is luxury items. But there is a small silver lining, the economy is cyclical, it will bounce back its hard to say when but it will and those left standing will benefit when it does.

Maybe that's Tom's plain, hang back wait for the dust to clear and then attack....... :cheers:

SN toter
02-14-2008, 03:54 PM
The sport is also returning to a level that is more freindly to the first timer.

I think this is what we need more than anything else and I love what I'm seeing. Small steps like the BPS cap, DZ's hopper restrictions, ect. It makes it a lot less intimidating for new players and more challenging for vets. I know when I have friends or co workers who ask me if they can tag along I put away my space guns and play with my scenario Tippmann. Even though they are still getting shot out, it's a lot more fun for them to not have it coming from a guy walking 15-17 bps.

I hope we see more pumps and some innovative semis, I'd really like to see something like the Evolt come out, but thats not happenin' any time soon.

flying Dutchman
02-14-2008, 06:54 PM
I think you folks are right. To survive we have to protect the kids just starting out. Otherwise we have no replacements. But be careful. My facility never embrassed the speedball era and that made us "evil" We just wanted to be left to keep doing recreational play and to insure kids had a great time. We didn't follow the herd. But wow did we get beat on for it. I've heard more folks slam us for doing what we beleived in. But your absolutly right. Paintball is coming back around and it's long overdue. I hope we never let the money men behind the sport take us down this road again.

Toll
02-14-2008, 07:48 PM
In my experience, the rec is where the money is and money ensures survival (or atleast continuing to exist) so its pretty simple. Guys who are first timers are likely to be one timers if they don't have a day that justifies their cost. That first day is what makes or breaks that particular person +3..The 3 friends (lets say) that he tells "it was stupid and I want my money back" are less likely to want to spend their cash.

If he returns with stories of glory and feigned valour that involve shooting a bunch of people, his buddies will come to A) Do it them selves b) prove that he didn't do it, and shoot him. If he goes and tells his buddies that every single time he got shot out, bonus balled, lost, confused, etc then people are going to think about that and the 50$ price tag and say screw it most of the time.

Its really very word of mouth marketing so securing your rec player base is pretty well vital. As long as you keep your bread and butter happy the guys who would never buy a gun from you can go play elsewhere

thegrayghost
02-14-2008, 09:58 PM
from Punkncat's original thread, he has hit the nail on the button...its the newcumer's that make and grow into this great sport....and it is up to the older guys to let them grow into the sport...my markers that i have are a part of paintball history, i think....

BE Tiger shark Pump, started me into this sport
Tippmann 68 Carbine, history to me
Piranha STS, first semi automatic new
Shocker Turbo, don't be mad, still history to me again
AGD Automag, history to me, great marker
AKA Viking, history also

i do not have many markers, but each one meant something to me, thru the years of playing paintball...all my markers are functional and i change them up for play all the time...i set new people up with a marker to play with and some stay with the game, some don't...i have noticed in the 7+ years that i have been playing, there is a great turnover of guys....its like anything, you try it, like it, and some stay with it....just my 2 cents worth...

thegrayghost

punkncat
02-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Hello greyghost

I am glad to see you are still rocking that Viking I traded to you.

thegrayghost
02-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Hello greyghost

I am glad to see you are still rocking that Viking I traded to you.

yes sir, she just rocks when i need it.....a lot of kids just ask what kind of marker is that, that you have there? they know just ions, i guess.....but all in all, still fun at my age, 64 years old....

reading your original thread, how true to the money you are, as i have said....thegrayghost....