PDA

View Full Version : strip strip the field strip

Grey_Goose
01-16-2002, 04:26 PM
well, i learned a few nights ago not to give someone a 'mag w/out making sure they watch the video. or, at least, are somewhat mechanically inclined.

what i've got now is a valve with stripped threads for the field strip screw. since i don't see it on the spare parts list, is this valve trashed? in it's current state, you can't secure it w/ the field strip screw so it's a paperweight anyway.

thoughts, anyone? is it repairable? or is the valve body replacable? heck, i'd even buy an old valve body that someone sent in from their Go ReTro trade-in...

RJR99SS
01-16-2002, 04:38 PM
the only thing i can think of is to tap the hole to a larger size bolt. you'd need to buy a tap set naturally for that, cheap sets cost about $40. or you could just think of the size you want to go to and try to buy that tap by itself.

But....It wouldnt exactly be easy trying to tap new threads in the thing. i imagine you'd have to put it in a vice, probably put some rubber foam on the sides so you dont scratch it all up, then you *attempt* to tap new threads in.

You might have to drill out the hole in the trigger frame to accomodate a larger hole too.

Or you could just buy a new one, i'd call AGD and see what they suggest.

Magsrule3
01-16-2002, 04:38 PM
I think you can have the threads re-threaded with a kit fomr the hardware store. I think AGD will fix it for you, for the price of $45 or one star.

PyRo
01-16-2002, 05:27 PM
What exactley is stripped, the screw or the valve itself? If the screw is stripped a new one is $8 from AGD, get it from the store or if it isn't there call them and order it. If the valve itself is stripped you can either use a 10-32 tap to rethread it, or send it in to AGD and have them do it. It will cost you one star or $45 most likely though.

[NA]WARLORD
01-17-2002, 02:39 AM
I did this once also, go to local hardware store get a tap for 10/32 thread and re-tap it yourself. Tap shouldnt be more than 10 bucks, also get a new Field strip screw, sounds like you may have cross threaded it like i did, new screw will insure you dont do it again.

[NA]WARLORD
01-17-2002, 02:39 AM
Yeah, like PYRO said.............

Shaft
01-17-2002, 07:43 AM
Helicoil it!