PDA

View Full Version : Ao-va Day Poll!!!!!

IcantBelieveit
02-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Hello all, I would like to take a poll from all of the AO-VA guys out there on where would be the place of preference to hold this event so we can start getting the details hashed out. Post up and vote!!! By the way if anybody is in touch with people that no longer visit AO but still shoot mags and want to attend please contact me with thier place to hold this event at. I tried to cover all of the decent fields around virginia. If there are any othe let me know I will update the poll

Tassel Mask
02-15-2008, 05:34 AM
Great Idea! Thanks for it greatly.

Tassel Mask
02-15-2008, 06:38 AM
I just wanted to say, Ive been to Groton CT. I love your Nautilus museum, but your whale museum rules all. Groton is the paradise of CT. I just dont like the bitter azz cold that hurts my heart.

rawbutter
02-15-2008, 07:44 AM
I'd go to any place that I can get to in an hour or so, but the date will be far more important. If I do end up coming, can I bring a few non-mag buddies with the hope of converting them? :rolleyes:

Also, I'd like to mention that we'll need more than a simple poll to get people onboard. If I were organizing this thing, I would go through this thread (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=122370&highlight=Virginians+roll+call) and PM/email everyone on there to let them know that an AO-VA game is in the works. Most people just don't check the boards often enough to even notice this poll unless you draw their attention to it.

I hope it works out this time, though.

Tassel Mask
02-15-2008, 08:00 AM
RawButter, The AO-VA thread is dead man. I PMd' almost every adault player on that list. Lupis, Cahjun, and about 5 other players hit me back.

Some said they havent played in years and forgot about AO entireley. I wouldnt put much stock on that thread; which is sad.

Or maybe they just dont like me which is even sadder. :cry:

So this is a good thread czz its fresh and current.

rawbutter
02-15-2008, 10:00 AM
RawButter, The AO-VA thread is dead man. I PMd' almost every adault player on that list. Lupis, Cahjun, and about 5 other players hit me back.

Wow. I'm glad you went through that effort, and suprised at the low responses.

Well, hopefully this thread will get some people talking, and we'll finally get an AO day in Virginia.

IcantBelieveit
02-15-2008, 10:29 PM
well we are going to have to have more then 5 people to do an AO day....i would say 15-20 minimum.

Tassel Mask
02-16-2008, 02:37 AM
So i guess i should start directing people here.

brb

93civiccpe
02-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey,
Guys, there are some really good fields here. Here's my 2 cents worth. If we make it somewhere in the Central VA area it means that our friends in Maryland, North Carolina, West Virginia, and Tennessee have the option of making a drive to join us. Plus, everyone in the state would have a central area to aim for.

Anyways, whoever voted for PBA must be out of their mind. They have one woodsball field and the local government cut a road right through it recently. Yes, that's right.. a road. They are working on a brand new field which I hear is going to be awesome, and I hear it is opening sometime soon (in the spring). The only problem with that is that no one knows exactly where it is going to be and no one has seen these fields. That being said, this would be my number one choice for one big reason.. if you buy the paint from their shop, it's 3 cases for $99. So $33 a case and that's for the GOOD stuff. So if their new field will be done, this is an awesome choice.

My second choice would have to be Warplay Paintball which is in the Fredericksburg area. I just recently played there for the first time and it is a totally different style of paintball than I'm used to. It is very strategical as it was designed by to retired marines so everything is about teamwork and using covering-fire to advance and try to achieve the objectives. On top of that, their "hybrid" format is similar to that of a scenario game in that they have respawn stations that release every 2 to 4 minutes. That way if you are shot out you have to wait a maximum of 2 or 4 minutes to get back into the action. This causes a lot of strategy changes and the need to keep your guys on the field on defense and you end up shooting a TON of paint. Their paint cost isn't bad either.. it was $45 for a case of XO Spectrum and $50 for a case of XO V1. It was good paint and none of the guys I was there with had a problem with chopping a single ball. A lot of fun but a different style of play.

I guess my third choice would be Splatbrothers. In all honesty they have some of the best fields in all of Virginia. My only problem with them is I had a bad problem last time I went there (over a year ago) where they only had one type of paint (Stinger) and it was dimpled, brittle, and they were charging $65 a case. On top of that, they don't allow outside paint... you are forced to buy what they have. The field fees and air are about the same as everywhere else. Also, their compressors had a problem where the grease filter needed changing badly as about 3/4 of the way through the day a lot of guns started to have problems. When I started breaking some of them down I was finding this grayish-sludge which was definitely from the compressor. Fortunately my automags didn't have a problem, but those LPR hoses on the cockers were a mess and took several of them down. I've been assured by a member on here who works at splatbrothers now that the compressor is now fine and that they have better paint. I would like a listing of what paint they will guarantee they have there, and what prices they are charging for it before I would even consider going there again. On their site they advertise "house grade paint case" for $55, "Mid-grade Paint case" for $60, and "Tournament Grade Paint case" for $65. Apparently the pro's use dimpled stinger in tournaments which is news to me. In all the time I've played there, I've only been there once where they had 2 choices in paint, and usually it's always at the $65 mark. Comparing that to Warplay, where you get the premium stuff for $50, which is cheaper than the house grade stuff at Splatbrothers. Once again, I love the fields, and I know you have to make some money, but can't you do it without raping the customer?

On top of that, I heard splatbrothers had a new field called "x-zone" in the chesterfield area but I have never been there, and the website (www.xzonepaintball.org) is now bringing up something totally different. Maybe the field died already?? Maybe Empyreal Rogue can shade some light here as he works at Splatbrothers, and has assured me that there has been a change in staff and that the paint & etc is a lot better. Maybe he can work out a deal for us, because I love the fields at Splatbrothers, but for me, it is just so much cheaper to go elsewhere.

IcantBelieveit
02-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Great write up and thanks for the information. With keeping your information in mind. would anybody be up for a "MID ATLANTIC AO-DAY" That way almost pretty sure at least 15-20 people would show, more then likely more then that. We could have a mid atlantic day held in virginia which is central to the mid atlantic. Let me know your thoughts and ideas on this, that way we can get the ball rolling. Im pretty excited as I have never attended an AO day, so i definatley want to get this thing together if all possible.

Tassel Mask
02-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Where ever it is, I can assure at least 4 players from my team. They leave the coordination and planning to me, and I leave that to Icantbelieve it, ahaha, so anywhere is fine for me, but as close as you can to NOVA please.

rawbutter
02-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Where ever it is, I can assure at least 4 players from my team. They leave the coordination and planning to me, and I leave that to Icantbelieve it, ahaha, so anywhere is fine for me, but as close as you can to NOVA please.

Yeah, if we're allowed to bring non-AOers, then I could probably bring at least another two... but possibly as many as six.

I don't want to bring too many. It is supposed to be an AO meet-and-greet kinda thing. I'd love to get some of my friends hooked on mags, though.

Tassel Mask
02-18-2008, 07:29 AM
You could also just be a fan of the forum. You dont actually need a mag.

IcantBelieveit
02-18-2008, 05:45 PM
well obviously we do want a big turnout for mag owners. But of course there isnt a problem with non mag owner/users.

mclaggan123
02-18-2008, 07:44 PM
pick a place and get some details as far as how much paint, field fee, and air are and when and ill let you know if i can make it. im in the navy and its kinda hard to plan thing unless i have a date a few weeks ahead. i would really like to see this happen and meet some you guys that love mags as much as i do.

Tassel Mask
02-19-2008, 07:41 AM
I think you should give us a heads up on when your most likley to be free to help us plan better.

Empyreal Rogue
02-19-2008, 10:33 AM
The best way to plan these is to establish a field, then a play date. I'm not coordinating this, but I'd recommend that the best time to throw this together and giving everyone plenty of time to prepare would be between May and even as late as August.

Does Pevs still allow BYOP? We could do a group order of paint like we did at the last AO-VA that went to Pevs.

Tassel Mask
02-21-2008, 06:08 PM
I can find out

93civiccpe
02-22-2008, 12:09 AM
I like that idea, but I'd suggest going to Warplay. I really like their setup, and am going to be headed back there next weekend to play again...

sdlm_
02-23-2008, 05:02 AM
I like that idea, but I'd suggest going to Warplay. I really like their setup, and am going to be headed back there next weekend to play again...

I second this. I love Warplay (even though Powerline is the field I normally goto). It is BYOP with a $10 fee, they have plenty of air, and several large fields, that can be combined if need be, along with a professional staff, and food. That and it is 10 minutes from sheetz which has good food and drinks, as well as fairly cheap gasoline.

Main reasons I don't normal go there is the cost, $10 air +$15 field fee, +$15 in gas just to get there and back makes it $40 just to start, but that is also due to distance.

Look we can get an AO-VA day going, I am willing to drive from NoVA to Warplay, but I am not so sure about those that live off of I-81, it's very far for them.

IcantBelieveit
02-23-2008, 09:32 AM
O.K. Seems like people like warplay, Sooo we are going to use that as a our field of play. I will call them next during the week to see if they can work us a good deal for paint and play fees. I will see what kind of paint they carry and minimum number of peoplel we need to have...if anybody has any more questions that need to be asked please let me know...also throw up some time frames that would work for everybody...im down for whatever.

Tassel Mask
02-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Warplay it is then. I cant play till April.

rawbutter
03-11-2008, 09:45 AM
I am going to Warplay this Saturday as a chaparone for my church's youth group. Should be fun to play with a bunch of fresh kids.

Anyway, are there any questions I should ask while I'm there? Want me to take some pictures? Let me know.

93civiccpe
03-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Hey rawbutter, nice meeting you and seeing your pneumag yesterday at warplay.

As for Warplay, I'm going to retract my vote for that place. I don't want to mislead anyone.. I had a decent time yesterday but I know some of the members will probably get rubbed the wrong way by some of the ways they do things.

First of all, they refer to markers as "weapons" and shooting people as "kills". This place is run by ex-marines and it shows. The way they talk.. everything is tactical, and they feel that they know best because apparently military experience makes you a good paintballer as well.

The field allows ALL modes of fire. Next, the field limit is 300fps.. everyone chrono's tight there. At the same time, there is not a 20 foot rule. You can choose to say surrender but you do end up getting lit up at point blank. On top of that, they ENCOURAGE blind firing, sweeping your marker around before going into an area. They also encourage aiming at masks / other hard areas to make sure the paintballs break.

I'm not saying I don't do any of that, but it is typically the exact opposite of what you hear at most fields. I've played warplay a few times and I end up having fun, but the last couple times I've seen things that have bothered me enough that I'm probably going to play elsewhere for a little while.

The format is actually interesting. It's designed by marines so you have "choke points" and strategically set up fields where you can only go certain ways and a couple fields that are next-to-impossible to win at. (You'd have to go against a team of new players to win one of their favorite fields). When you are on the offensive side, your spawn releases every 2 minutes. On defense, it spawns every 4 minutes. What that means is if you are shot out, you run back to your spawn and you wait at most 2 or 4 minutes to get in the game. (Sometimes you get back right as the respawn timer goes off so you turn around and go back out. What that means is that you go through a lot of paint, and spend a lot more time on the field. That's fun but a two-edged sword. On one field where I know it is impossible for the offense to get to the flag, instead of wasting paint I just sit back as I know they are not going to attempt to rush the small bridge (suicide mission). So for me it's a 25 minute break as I do enough to keep them back. For the field owners, it is great because people go through a LOT of paint. Then again, at their prices $45/50 a case, it's not too painful.

Now the bad. Over the last couple times I've gone there I've seen some issues that have really bothered me. One of which is the fact that twice early I got behind people and yelled surrender only to have them try to turn on me and me be forced to light them up at point blank with a marker chrono'd right at 300fps. Over the course of the last couple times playing there you don't even hear surrender. You just shoot them close and keep going. Due to that, I've seen 3 younger players (my guess is that they were around 9-10 years old) get really overshot bad at close range. One paintball would have put their hands up but instead they now are going to have some serious welts/bruises. I believe 2 of them actually were done for the day. In one incident it was blatent that the guy took a full auto marker and lit a young kid up and the kid was still being shot with his hands up. There was a ref right there. I strongly encouraged the ref to pull the kid and go have a talk with them and the ref did not see why it was necessary. The comment was along the line of "if they can't take the pain they shouldn't be out here". I honestly do not know if that's a supported idea, but that left a bad taste in my mouth.

On top of that, there was one other issue that I had with some of the refs where I basically got called a liar by a ref who would not talk with me or explain it. I discussed it with the owner as I am an adult and live my life with honesty and integrity and he would not let me know which ref was behind it so I could confront them and have them explain it. I don't want to explain the whole situation as I've written a lot as it is, but I joined a team with mostly new players trying to help them out (all using rentals.. out on their first time), and we were on the losing end most of the day. I ran in, got the flag, and we won the round finally and I was called a cheater without explanation.

It's nothing that is going to prevent me from giving them another chance, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth. I just don't know if it is the most fitting location for us oldskool mag guys. One of the best choices (in my opinion) is Hogback Mountain in Leesburg (http://www.hogback.net/). They have 14 woodsball fields, and the owner of the field and store were one of the largest supporters of automags back in the day. They always had a majority of automags on the field back in the day, and were good to us maggers. You still see mags there from time to time. Not to mention it's just a really laid back place with good refs. You can bring your own paint and I don't think there's a fee to do so. Lunch is cheap there.. they grill hotdogs. It is a very well run place and it doesn't have as much of the "agg" crowd that you find at Pev's and some of the other mainstream places. The fields are top-notch. I think it's one of the best fields I've ever played at, if not the best. I know it's a longer drive for us in central/eastern VA but it's definitely worth it in my opinion.

I also wanted to mention that we have a good number of oldskool guys on the MCB forums that are in the area who have expressed interest in a get together. When we pick a date I'll let them know when it is as well.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Empyreal Rogue
03-16-2008, 12:19 PM
As a referee it sounds like the way that guy acted was completely unacceptable. For me when I take a group out for a whole day, if it's really clear that one side has a huge advantage I'll mix up the groups every other round until there's a nice balance. Maybe it was just one "bad apple" but from the sound of things that may not have been the case.

I myself have never played at Warplay before, it's probably the only field on that list I haven't been to in the state yet. However, last time I was at Hogback was when it was a decrepit old field that was always overshadowed by Pevs since they're within like 30 minutes of each other. Who is the guy that owns Hogback? It's not Rob, is it? I know he lives in Fairfax and is, or was, an official AGD tech but spent most of his time at Pevs.

That's a good review civic, very informative. While I've never been to Warplay I really don't feel to excited to go there after that. Maybe I'm spoiled because we have a pretty stellar staff here where I work and have always had a great time at Pevs so I haven't had a bad time in recent years.

Since Hogback's gotten bigger maybe if we schedule something with them they'll give us a private referee for the day. I know they do that at Pevs upon request if your group is large enough. I'd really like to get something together soon so lets figure something out.

rawbutter
03-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Since I was at Warplay this weekend with civic, I guess I should add my own 2 cents. (By the way civic, it was cool to meet you and see the Droid. It give you any touble that day?)

I would also like to retract my vote for Warplay, although for different reasons. A few of the refs were very overzealous (like... civic's incident, calling people out for splatter, or calling me out for being out of bounds, even though there was no markings saying that I was), but for me, the thing that soured my taste was the entire set-up. You get there at 10:00... they do a safety briefing and explain some of the rules, and then EVERYONE gets put into two teams. (There were fifty people there this Saturday, so each team had 25 people on it. It was rather insane.) You play twice on the first field (once as the attacker, and once as the defender), twice on a second field (again... once defending, once attacking), and then a final time on a "king of the hill" field. While it was an enjoyable paint-slinging fest, I really didn't feel that it would be a good format for an AO meet-and-greet. I'd rather play small-scale woodsball or speedball field where we can pick our own teams, play at our own pace by ourselves, and not be confined by their set-up.

I would go back to Warplay, but only with one or two other friends that I already knew really well... and I'd have to be in the mood to shoot a LOT of paint. I don't want to go there for an AO-VA game, though. I feel that if we went to WarPlay, we'd all spend $80-$130 and never really get to know one another.

I don't really have another field to suggest since I don't play at public fields a lot, but I'd still be open go just about anywhere as long as I have a good enough warning.

rawbutter
03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
On top of that, there was one other issue that I had with some of the refs where I basically got called a liar by a ref who would not talk with me or explain it. I discussed it with the owner as I am an adult and live my life with honesty and integrity and he would not let me know which ref was behind it so I could confront them and have them explain it. I don't want to explain the whole situation as I've written a lot as it is, but I joined a team with mostly new players trying to help them out (all using rentals.. out on their first time), and we were on the losing end most of the day. I ran in, got the flag, and we won the round finally and I was called a cheater without explanation.

By the way, that whole situation was just plain dumb. The player who called you for cheating was one of the "regulars" who knew all the refs by name, and he was in the spawn zone with me (100 feet away) when you charged into the tower and got the flag. I don't know what he saw, but it was very bias for the ref to believe him over you. But hey... he's been there more often than you, so he must be the honest one, right? :rolleyes:

93civiccpe
03-16-2008, 09:41 PM
By the way, that whole situation was just plain dumb. The player who called you for cheating was one of the "regulars" who knew all the refs by name, and he was in the spawn zone with me (100 feet away) when you charged into the tower and got the flag. I don't know what he saw, but it was very bias for the ref to believe him over you. But hey... he's been there more often than you, so he must be the honest one, right? :rolleyes:

Hey man,
You know how it goes. I've been there a few times now and the ref inside the castle was Rhonda, who knows me by name. I had a discussion with her and she said it wasn't her who saw it, yet it was her inside the castle. I know which guy it was. After I charged inside the castle he tried to get me over the wall and we exchanged.. I shot him twice in the mask and he hit me once in the chest and it bounced... and Rhonda was right there and saw it and pulled him because both of my shots broke on his mask.. verified I was clean and I continued. The official claim was that I had called myself out at some point then threw the flag out the window. The flag was halfway back to spawn before i popped up and started spraying like crazy to detract everyone from the flag runner, at which point I did get lit up and call myself out. Sad thing is that the flag was already at the base when that happened. It just goes to show the bias of the refs.. it wasn't a terrible time and it was just a dumb thing to make a big deal out of it like they did. It wasn't a tournament.. no money on the line or anything.. just "bragging rights" I guess, but who brags about a random day of play?? It just left a bad taste in my mouth when added to a few other incidents.

As for the droid... I love that thing. I would be the last one to ever spend $1000 or more on a paintball marker, but I happened to have a milled viking that I was able to sell along with an extra barrel kit which made up enough to pick a new one up cheap off of a friend. For anyone considering getting one, I would highly suggest it. I have made a recent decision to try to only own semi markers from AGD, AKA, Macdev, and PPS. Those are the companies that have always treated me right and made high quality markers. I shot a pod off my back deck when it came in the mail Friday evening. Saturday morning I put it over the chrono.. adjusted it, and it was shooting +/- 5fps when I chrono'd in over 5 shots.. not great but not terrible either for a new reg. After shooting about a case and a half I checked it over the chrono before leaving. +/- 3fps over ten shots. It was quiet.. had no kick, and no shootdown. It was fast.. did not have a single chop, not a single barrel break.. not a single problem whatsoever. In the second round I think I shot out more people in 25 minutes than I have in my entire life. It is by far one of the top 2 markers I've ever owned.. and maybe even the #1. (I have owned the "Nemesis" stroker.. it's hard to compare that one of a kind piece of art to a mainstream marker, but this is by far my favorite electro I've ever owned). It's just too bad you were on the other team butter or I would have offered to swap markers with you for a round in an attempt to try out that pneu-mag of yours. Maybe next time we get together.

None-the-less, it was nice to see an automag out there. I should have brought mine but I knew that since the new droid got in I wasn't going to have anything else in my hands all day.. lol.

seekandestroy78
04-15-2008, 11:58 AM
im voting for pevs in leesburg. i like how everywhere else has a city listed but pevs is in "northern Va"

either way its the closest to my house by about 2 hours.

and no rob hoover does not own hogback, hes an agd tech and pevs player

rawbutter
04-16-2008, 08:03 AM
After seeing Warplay, I'd be willing to drive to Pevs. I can do two hours. Leesburg is a nice place, too.

If we do it in Leesburg, however, we may as well make it into a VA/WV/MY/Wester PA AO day. Leesburg is a long way for people down in southern VA. People coming from Pittsburg would have a shorter drive. :rolleyes:

seekandestroy78
04-16-2008, 08:12 AM
ao east coast day?

93civiccpe
04-16-2008, 09:38 AM
After seeing Warplay, I'd be willing to drive to Pevs. I can do two hours. Leesburg is a nice place, too.

If we do it in Leesburg, however, we may as well make it into a VA/WV/MY/Wester PA AO day. Leesburg is a long way for people down in southern VA. People coming from Pittsburg would have a shorter drive. :rolleyes:

Definitely true. As for Warplay, the owner fixed the situation I had with him. He took care of the ref who made that rediculous call, and has made things right by me. The owner is a standup guy and I have been back there several times since then. It might not be the best place for an AO day because of the long games and short "hangout time" due to the style of play, but definitely a fun field.

I would be opposed to PEV's in NOVA. I like the fields, and there are always a lot of players there, but we've already done an AO VA day there. Let's change it up. Plus, I don't think it is fair to the guys in central and southeast VA who will have to make the long drive AGAIN. If I was driving all that way I'd be going to Hogback, and not PEV's. Just my personal preference due to the lack of all the "AGG Kiddies" who frequent Pev's.. more of a laid-back woodsball feel at hogback.

rawbutter
04-16-2008, 10:31 AM
I would be opposed to PEV's in NOVA. I like the fields, and there are always a lot of players there, but we've already done an AO VA day there. Let's change it up. Plus, I don't think it is fair to the guys in central and southeast VA who will have to make the long drive AGAIN. If I was driving all that way I'd be going to Hogback, and not PEV's. Just my personal preference due to the lack of all the "AGG Kiddies" who frequent Pev's.. more of a laid-back woodsball feel at hogback.

Makes no difference to me since I've never been to either field. I prefer the woodsball feel too.

seekandestroy78
04-16-2008, 08:18 PM
i havent played in about a year and im just getting back into the swing of things, so whatever you guys pick just let me know

Tassel Mask
04-23-2008, 01:29 AM
Dude, enough of this, lets set a date for the game already. What is the first weekend everyone is free so I can finaly show you guys my singing voice on the field!

How about the first weekend of May at Hogback. If thats ok, great...if not, then the second weekend at warplay?

hop to it gents!

rawbutter
04-23-2008, 10:16 AM
First weekend wouldn't work for me. 2nd weekend of May at Hogback?

Empyreal Rogue
04-23-2008, 11:43 AM
I have finals the first 2 weeks of May.

Tassel Mask
04-24-2008, 12:26 AM
AO-VA Day for second week of May at Hogback! Hope everyone will try to make it. Im very excited.

Now hop to it gents!

TM

Tassel Mask
04-24-2008, 10:40 AM
the second weekend you should be done with finals right? So we can hook up on the second weekend.

BTW, where is Icantbelieveit? Someone needs to PM him.

See you guys soon.

IcantBelieveit
04-24-2008, 06:40 PM
im bowing out...im out of paintball completley...thanks though

Tassel Mask
04-26-2008, 10:50 AM
IcantBelieveIt, I just cant believe it. You, why do i feel i was born 5 years too late for paintball?

Uhh, it looked fun back in 2003.

Tassel Mask
04-26-2008, 10:53 AM
If anyone has a facebook and lives on the east coast, go to facebook group: EAST COAST PAINTBALL. Its a great place for sharing your paintball expirernces even if you dont play anymore.

Oh yea, and its new, so if your getting burnout on AO or any other group, East Coast Paintball is nice.

Tassel Mask
04-28-2008, 09:55 AM
OK, so the date is the second weekend of May. The park is Hogback. I am bringing about 4 people. Remember we can always have another one this summer.

I just want to play with some AO-rs. Icantbelieveit is out of paintball wich is sad, but I understand. I am going to start a new thread to jump start this game. Hope all can make it.