PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of making an electronic mag

t_boneshacone
02-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Ok i was thinking tonight, and was like i have seen some of these mags with like substitute boards in them and was like dont they make a universal board, and what do you know scenariodreamsllc. makes them, so i was wondering if i got an ion frame or modded my intelli frame, could i put this board in it, how hard would it be, what all would be needed?

so far i think i kinda wanna go with the ion frame and sell my intelli, idk yet, but i think all i would need would be the board and a mpa-3 from clippard and some kind of actuator to get air to the mpa-3, am i correct with this or am i missing something or just wrong in general?

Also i am pretty sure i want to use eyes with this so i am probably gonna buy me a ule body sooner or later cause it would just complete the look, and ill have to fabricate some custom eye covers or buy some and mod them.

Now i think i have this all figured out but i am not sure so please tell me everything i need know to complete this project.

thanks, T-Boneshacone

Hilltop Customs
02-15-2008, 03:25 PM
your just about right....you just need a solenoid...perferably a 3 way thats normally closed that operates on 5volt.

its a tight squeeze in just about any frame. The intelli will need a decent amount of material taken out.

oh and IDK if you just forgot or not, but you also will need a low pressure reg too.

t_boneshacone
02-15-2008, 03:43 PM
your just about right....you just need a solenoid...perferably a 3 way thats normally closed that operates on 5volt.

its a tight squeeze in just about any frame. The intelli will need a decent amount of material taken out.

oh and IDK if you just forgot or not, but you also will need a low pressure reg too.

hmm so whats this solenoid, i am pretty sure ion boards already have them, idk about the universal board though

Hilltop Customs
02-15-2008, 03:53 PM
hmm so whats this solenoid, i am pretty sure ion boards already have them, idk about the universal board though

well the mpa-3 is your ram that pushes on the sear. You need something to control the air that goes to the ram. basically the solenoid uses the pulses of electricty sent out by the board to turn the air on and off. And no, that universal board doesnt come with the noid.

The ion board comes with a solenoid, but its has the air pressure normally on...and turns it off to fire the gun. It would work, but its just like holding the trigger the whole time and releasing then firing. I'm not sure if the dwell(how long the solenoid is turned on) will be adjustable enough to work with the mag.

t_boneshacone
02-15-2008, 03:57 PM
i aint positive but rainman from mcb and i think he is on here too, said that an ion board would work, heck if i can find a cheap board why not try it, and i am about to buy an mpa 3 like today

p8ntbal4me
02-15-2008, 05:15 PM
i aint positive but rainman from mcb and i think he is on here too, said that an ion board would work, heck if i can find a cheap board why not try it, and i am about to buy an mpa 3 like today

Your problem is (the one some users have run into) that the ION board as it comes is pretty hard to fit in any frame.

The universal board, a smaller (more effective) solenoid, the MPA-3, and some work.

Thats the route you should look into heading.

Just my 2 cents.

~ P8nt

t_boneshacone
02-15-2008, 05:39 PM
and thats what i am planning of doing since the universal board is so much smaller,

sandfreestyle
02-15-2008, 05:39 PM
im doing the ion board route cause i havent heard anything about a really good small solenoid. im putting it in an intelli. if i were to find a really good small solenoid, i would do that for my other gun.

t_boneshacone
02-15-2008, 05:44 PM
yea i aint finding a small solenoid anywhere so i may just go the ion route too, unless someone can link me to one, also can someone show me where i can buy all the parts i will need

sandfreestyle
02-15-2008, 05:54 PM
airsoldier.com

they should have everything needed
do you want me to finish mine and tell you some tricks after im done?

t_boneshacone
02-15-2008, 05:59 PM
i aint gonna make you finish it, but yea when you finish tell me the tips and tricks that ill need to know

sandfreestyle
02-15-2008, 06:03 PM
i have some done already, i just need the board to arrive in the mail to fit the board.

t_boneshacone
02-15-2008, 06:06 PM
ok so if yours are done and you just need the board tell me do i still need a fabco msv-1 three way

sandfreestyle
02-15-2008, 06:19 PM
no, the three way is on the board. the board basicly is basicly an electic three way. u will still need a small actuator to trip the sear

Hilltop Customs
02-16-2008, 05:07 AM
no, the three way is on the board. the board basicly is basicly an electic three way. u will still need a small actuator to trip the sear

Yep...which is the mpa-3.

IDK if either of you held an Ion's board/noid in your hands...they are fairly large....mainly beacuse of the large capaciter thats on the board. Stock there is just about no way that i see to fit in there. at the least i think your going to have to de-solder the capaciter and hook it back up with some wires so its not attached to the board.

The whole problem with the Ion board/noid is it is designed to opperate at much higher pressures than we need. They HAVE to work consistantly at about 180psi+. This requires a much stronger noid than the 50-70psi we require. That means 2 things....the noid has to be bigger and stronger....and you also need a larger capaciter to be able to supply the needed current for the big noid.

The only other problem is if you do squeeze it in there....the ion is setup to provide air to the ram most of the time....and click the pressure off when firing. This will be the same as always having your trigger held, releasing real quick, and then firing. This isnt exactly a bad thing, but if the dwell is set to low you may get bolt wear or more likely recharging issues.

It was initially my plan to use the ion board too; I even bought an aftermarket board for my ion(ion purchased used....no way would I hand SP my money) just to have a spare to tinker with. But, after considering it for awhile, Ive gone back to the seperate noid and board.

Hgblues
02-16-2008, 09:01 AM
So,, do we have anyone here that is actually using the universal T-board now, and can give us some feedback on how well it's working? I'm ready to put electro's in my intelli frame, and i'm leaning toward the universal T-board, but i'd like to see some feedback on it..

sandfreestyle
02-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Yep...which is the mpa-3.

IDK if either of you held an Ion's board/noid in your hands...they are fairly large....mainly beacuse of the large capaciter thats on the board. Stock there is just about no way that i see to fit in there. at the least i think your going to have to de-solder the capaciter and hook it back up with some wires so its not attached to the board.

The whole problem with the Ion board/noid is it is designed to opperate at much higher pressures than we need. They HAVE to work consistantly at about 180psi+. This requires a much stronger noid than the 50-70psi we require. That means 2 things....the noid has to be bigger and stronger....and you also need a larger capaciter to be able to supply the needed current for the big noid.

The only other problem is if you do squeeze it in there....the ion is setup to provide air to the ram most of the time....and click the pressure off when firing. This will be the same as always having your trigger held, releasing real quick, and then firing. This isnt exactly a bad thing, but if the dwell is set to low you may get bolt wear or more likely recharging issues.

It was initially my plan to use the ion board too; I even bought an aftermarket board for my ion(ion purchased used....no way would I hand SP my money) just to have a spare to tinker with. But, after considering it for awhile, Ive gone back to the seperate noid and board.

that was a really good explanation and really does help. if for some reason it doesnt pan out then ill do the universal board, but its hard not to try the ion board when u get it fo $15 shipped.

whats a good noid to use with the universal board?

Hilltop Customs
02-16-2008, 07:37 PM
noid (http://www.airsoldier.com:8080/cgi-bin/mivavm?Merchant2/merchant.mvc+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AOS&Product_Code=SMC-S070C-SDG-32&Category_Code=SOLENOIDS)

Thats the best one ive found. Just dont buy them all....I still need to get mine lol. Maybe I should pick mine up now be4 they all disapear, Ive given that link out enough that I bet those 5 dissapear quick.

Just went down to 4 as I was posting this lol

p8ntbal4me
02-16-2008, 07:50 PM
So,, do we have anyone here that is actually using the universal T-board now, and can give us some feedback on how well it's working? I'm ready to put electro's in my intelli frame, and i'm leaning toward the universal T-board, but i'd like to see some feedback on it..

Ive got the code from the Universal Board on another board and I can tell you it works on a mag just fine.

I know how to do an EP setup from the ground up,.. and this controller board is no different than the Universal T-Board,..... the one I have is made by Scenario Dreams.

If your thinking about the Universal Board and want to know if it works,.. head over to the SD web page and look under the Universal boards page,.. theres a mag using the Universal board as of last week.

Damon is a stand up guy and does the right thing when it comes to SD products and the customers that buy them. I bought my first board from him and it wouldnt fire. He sent a replacement out the next day (it was here in 3 days) and told me "send the other board back when you get a chance". And that was that. I was down a board for no less that 5 days. Ohhh and I got a free chip with it. Damon does good business,... trust that the Universal Board will not dissapoint.

I have a Universal board sitting on my desk,.. I just dont have any of my parts back from Gruntball to use on it ;)

~ P8nt

Hilltop Customs
02-16-2008, 07:52 PM

IDK about the universal one yet, but ive got their ion t-board and its nice...really easy to adjust and havent had a single problem with it. I'll be ordering the universal t-board here in the next couple days. I also contacted Scenario Dreams to ask about how the board/noid combo would work....they said it would work good, but would have better performance if used with a capaciter. Only thing is theres no room for the cap anywhere in the intelliframe.

p8ntbal4me
02-16-2008, 08:06 PM
ok so if yours are done and you just need the board tell me do i still need a fabco msv-1 three way

Here is an example of what my first EP Mag consisted of:
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/8/24019311056.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic/6451478)

The EP Mag consists of the following to make it work:

Ram Commonly we use the MPA-3. It is made by Clippard Pneumatics. (You can buy one from Cyberave68 here on the AO full assembled ready to go. I have bought from him, talk to him, and play paintball with him. He will help you out.) This is the device that activates the sear and fires the gun.

Solenoid This is the device that directs the low pressure air from a Low Pressure Regulator "LPR" to the Ram. There are MANY solenoids on the market to use. Most have been listed in other threads here on the AO. The most common (to date) is the SMC S070 series used in Egomag conversions.)

Electronic Controller Board There are many kinda and makes. You want one thats small as you will run into space problems if you use a larger one. (Predator Morlock, Vapor Works Chaos 2k7, Scenario Dreams Universal T-Board are all the common ones used)

Low Pressure Regulator (LPR) This takes the high pressure output from your air source and drops it to a regulated pressure that the solenoid can handle. Commonly you are looking for a 60-80psi range. Anything above 100psi would most likely destroy the solenoids commonly used.

Low Pressure Tubing Used to direct the air from the LPR to the solenoid/from the solenoid to the ram.

These are the CORE parts to make the EP Mag. There are some other smaller parts (micro switch for the trigger, battery snap, power switch) but thats a user thing thats built to suite the players needs and not the parts that make the components work together.

Im sorry if I "barney-styled" these parts for you, but you seem pretty interested in building one but not knowing how to get moving. This simple guide should help you assemble your parts and develope the logic to move you to the next step: Application of the design

~ P8nt

t_boneshacone
02-16-2008, 08:10 PM
and thats where my problem is, not enough room, so why couldnt i just mod a different frame say an ion frame, why wouldnt it work, what other cheap frame could i use, and which would be overall easier to use the ion board or the universal board, cause i dont have any soldering skills at all, and the ion board already has most of the stuff i need on it, like a solenoid and a capacitor

p8ntbal4me
02-16-2008, 08:11 PM
IDK about the universal one yet, but ive got their ion t-board and its nice...really easy to adjust and havent had a single problem with it. I'll be ordering the universal t-board here in the next couple days. I also contacted Scenario Dreams to ask about how the board/noid combo would work....they said it would work good, but would have better performance if used with a capaciter. Only thing is theres no room for the cap anywhere in the intelliframe.

If your using the Universal T-Board and you use the "EP Noid" ports on the wire harness (and not the "Solenoid" ports) you do not need to use a capacitor.

The ONLY 2 reasons for needs a capacitor on the Universal T-Board are:

Using an EP solenoid ABOVE 9 volts

or

User error in the wiring, and requiring a much higher power draw due to power requirements.

~ P8nt

t_boneshacone
02-16-2008, 08:13 PM
and p8ntballer its cool it helped a little bit, but the lpr and lpr hose i didnt really have to hear about, i know what they are lol

p8ntbal4me
02-16-2008, 08:20 PM
and thats where my problem is, not enough room, so why couldnt i just mod a different frame say an ion frame, why wouldnt it work, what other cheap frame could i use, and which would be overall easier to use the ion board or the universal board, cause i dont have any soldering skills at all, and the ion board already has most of the stuff i need on it, like a solenoid and a capacitor

Because of the nature of the componets your thinking of using.

The ION solenoid is "NO",.. meaning its normally open. So the air STAYS powered on the output port by default. You dont want that,.. you want "NC",.. meaning normally closed.

Can you use an ION solenoid and board,.. yup. But now enter your problem,... no soldering skills.

If you want to do this project,... or better yet,.. you want to get some soldering skills,... do this project. But take your time. Trust me on this one.

Soldering is not hard at all,... but you need to learn the method to being "clean". Thats key.

I'll tell you specifically what works so you can get a better idea:

The Airwalk (version 1 and 2), The Storm Walk, Logic UMF.

Ive done EP installs on all those frames,... and they work fine.
EP Kit Firing 26cps (http://media.putfile.com/EP-Kit-Dry-Fire-Demo)

~ P8nt

t_boneshacone
02-16-2008, 08:22 PM
p8nt ball please pm me, and is that you in that video, cause i have seen that vid before

p8ntbal4me
02-16-2008, 08:24 PM

Now that I think about this,.. you should look into doing an Ego frame conversion.

That would get you where you want to be pretty quck.

I could solder the solenoid up for you that you wanted to use.

~ P8nt

p8ntbal4me
02-16-2008, 08:25 PM
p8nt ball please pm me, and is that you in that video, cause i have seen that vid before

Yep thats me.

~ P8nt

sandfreestyle
02-16-2008, 08:41 PM
after a little thought and some talking with people, wat about an intimidator board and noid?

p8ntbal4me
02-16-2008, 08:51 PM
after a little thought and some talking with people, wat about an intimidator board and noid?

Hmmmm depends on the year of the frame really.

You'll have to refresh my memory.

Im going to say an absolute no to the "clame shell" Timmy frames.

The circuit board is HUGE and I think thats the year range BL didnt have a good noid from SMC.

As for the newer ones,.... maybe. I havent owned one since the first ones came out. (wish I never sold it really)

Anything is possible guys,... but I shoot for clean installs these days. Smaller and less wiring is what I like to do. My first install was nasty,.. but it worked.

~ P8nt

t_boneshacone
02-16-2008, 10:10 PM
well after looking at prices of things, i think i may just go with an ion frame, i can make it fit, and its already intact and the price is just cheaper than trying to go with the universal board, then buying a solenoid seperate and all this other blah blah blah, that i dont have money for