PDA

View Full Version : Web Hosting? Who do you use?

neppo1345
02-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Alright, I know we have a few people around here that operate websites.

I need to create a functioning business for my economics class, and was thinking about building myself a website. Site will be hosting lots of pictures.

I was wondering who everyone here uses as hosts, and what you like/dislike about them.

Also, some tips. I administered my high school's site for two years, but never had to deal with this aspect of it (taken care of by a teacher).

Thanks in advance,

-Tim

behemoth
02-18-2008, 10:52 AM
1&1, bish.

robnix
02-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Alright, I know we have a few people around here that operate websites.

I need to create a functioning business for my economics class, and was thinking about building myself a website. Site will be hosting lots of pictures.

I was wondering who everyone here uses as hosts, and what you like/dislike about them.

Also, some tips. I administered my high school's site for two years, but never had to deal with this aspect of it (taken care of by a teacher).

Thanks in advance,

-Tim

I use hostgator, haven't had any problems since switching to them.

Resurection
02-18-2008, 04:15 PM
I host my own websites. I have a small hosting business I run on the side as a hobby and it helps facilitate a few ideas/plans I try out.

I also offer hosting to anyone in the paintball community that needs it. Send me a pm with your hosting needs and I am sure I can offer you something perfect for your project.

MantisMag
02-19-2008, 01:57 PM
i use bluehost but they recently had an outage when i tried moving my employer's corporate site to them. never had a problem with them on my own sites in 2 years. however that outage has made me start looking for other providers. i've heard good things about hostgator. they'll probably be the host for my next site.

xxkylexx
02-19-2008, 02:01 PM
I host my own websites. I have a small hosting business I run on the side as a hobby and it helps facilitate a few ideas/plans I try out.

I also offer hosting to anyone in the paintball community that needs it. Send me a pm with your hosting needs and I am sure I can offer you something perfect for your project.
Ditto.

http://websolvents.com

drg
02-19-2008, 07:47 PM
I am a longtime Dreamhost user. Can't beat the value.

Their cheap plan gets you 500 GB disk rising 2GB weekly, 5.0 TB bandwidth rising 40GB weekly, unlimited database, email, etc. tons of features.

https://dreamhost.com/hosting.html

Anjin3515
02-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Ive used Lunarpages for a number of years and have always liked their service.

MeŠiCX
02-20-2008, 12:04 PM
I've been using Winwebhosting for my websites for a number of years now. I haven't seen a better priced hosting package yet. $45 a year? Can't beat it! Guaranteed 99.9% uptime!http://winwebhosting.com/hosting_plans.htm

CoolHand
02-20-2008, 12:42 PM
WestHost

www.westhost.com

Lots of value added software available, their prices are good, and they guarantee 99.7% up-time.

If you have an outage, they comp your account with extra time. The only outage I ever had at WestHost lasted about 16 hrs, and for that they comp'ed me two or three months of hosting for free.

Easy to get along with, and their management software is easy to use.

I have both www.logicpaintball.com and www.tinkersguild.org hosted with them. Each one costs about $130/yr, but that's for a big plan with 200 Gig of transfer and 500 Gig of storage, unlimited email accounts, unlimited sub-domains, etc.

When I was shopping around, no one else came close.

:cheers:

neppo1345
02-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Tanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it.

Now if I could just finish designing this site...