PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with me e-mag.

garbageman705
02-18-2008, 10:36 PM
I just got an e-mag and I have no wall charger. The lady at radia shack says that a standard wall plug will blow my battery, she says that I need a special reducer from the company. I have a car charger and it has no reducer so I don't really know what to do. What do all you e-mag owners do for a wall plug? Thanks a lot for the help.

Ruler_Mark
02-18-2008, 10:44 PM
get a wall ac to dc converter that does 12v, i have one that does 2A and runs great, 5.5mm od x 2.5mm id circle sometimes called barrel connector

SkinnyHare
02-18-2008, 11:03 PM
The lady at radia shack says that a standard wall plug will blow my battery, she says that I need a special reducer from the company.

oh reallllly?

she doesn't know what she's talking about. i've got their RS branded 12v 1500mA going right into my charger and it works perfectly fine. just to save you the headache... the plug end you need is the dark blue one marked with an "M."

i'm really starting to get torqued off at RS employees. when i was a kid they were the certified technology geeks that actually knew what they were talking about. now, in most cases, they're just high school or college kids that work the cash till and can't help you at all.

garbageman705
02-18-2008, 11:17 PM
So does the charger i get have to convert AC to DC or can I get a AC 12 volt charger with the appropriate plug? I don't want to blow my battery and i really have no ideal what I am talking about either. Thanks for helping out an e-mag newb, haha.

craltal
02-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Radio Shack AC Adapter Catalog # 273-1779

use the tip with the blue ring and the "M" on it and you'll be just fine...

it's an AC to 12V DC, 1500mA converter.

BigEvil
02-19-2008, 05:34 AM
Ive been using the $20 radio shack cigarette lighter to wall outlet converter for 5 years now with no problems.

craltal
02-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Ive been using the $20 radio shack cigarette lighter to wall outlet converter for 5 years now with no problems.

Obviously, that'll work too :D

joelbird
02-19-2008, 12:42 PM
does the positie have to be in or out for the Radio hack plug? i have the same charger but was asked which was positive or negative. the blue tip has to be set to the right direction. one is positive and one is negative. anyone care to share?

thanks joel

SkinnyHare
02-19-2008, 12:45 PM
it doesn't matter... just plug the M plug in for a sec and hook it all up, if the LED on the charger lights up, you got it in the right way. if it doesn't light up, just pull the M plug out and flip it around. two or three seconds on the wrong polarity won't kill anything.

Tunaman
02-19-2008, 05:47 PM
it doesn't matter... just plug the M plug in for a sec and hook it all up, if the LED on the charger lights up, you got it in the right way. if it doesn't light up, just pull the M plug out and flip it around. two or three seconds on the wrong polarity won't kill anything.
On the contrary...if you hook it up wrong you will let the smoke gods out. This is not a good thing...

going_home
02-19-2008, 06:29 PM
On the contrary...if you hook it up wrong you will let the smoke gods out. This is not a good thing...

Bob that is one of THEE funniest lines I've seen in here for a while.

:rofl:

SkinnyHare
02-19-2008, 09:47 PM
well at least it didn't on mine :tard:

-i make no guarantees on replicable results