PDA

View Full Version : Level 10 tuning

garbageman705
02-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Alright, I have my level 10 shooting pretty good, it bounces off a ball about 90 percent of the time, the other 10 percent it just blows it to bits. Should I add a shim or remove a shim, I have it so close. Right now I am using 2 shims, thanks!

secretweaponevan
02-19-2008, 02:15 AM
Alright, I have my level 10 shooting pretty good, it bounces off a ball about 90 percent of the time, the other 10 percent it just blows it to bits. Should I add a shim or remove a shim, I have it so close. Right now I am using 2 shims, thanks!

Sounds like you need a longer mainspring for the velocity you are at. Shims are only for curing "bolt stick".

Follow the LVL 10 quick start guides available from the Resources tab up top, or follow this:

Follow these steps in order.
1. Break in carrier o-ring with 1000 shots.
2. Move broken-in white o-ring to largest carrier that does not leak.
3. If bolt sticks on squeegy test, add shims until it resets reliably.
4. Chrono marker to field speed. (this is important, don't just do it by sound)
5. If gun breaks paint (test with no loader and make an electrical tape string for paintball to hang only halfway in breach) use a longer mainspring (on the contrary, if bolt continuously "LVL 10's" or "chuffs" use a shorter mainspring).
6. Profit.

^should be my sig. :rofl:

athomas
02-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Shims only affect how far the bolt has to travel before it can vent and release air. Only add shims if the bolt moves when you pull the trigger but the gun doesn't fire or vent. The result will be that the bolt sill be stuck and the trigger will be limp. If the gun fires or vents, you don't need shims.

To find out if you have optimum tuning, turn the velocity down until the gun won't fire. Then gradually increase the veloctiy setting until the gun fires. Note the velocity at this setting. The optimum level 10 setup is about 20 feet per second above this value. If the initial value is too low, then operating the gun at the desired velocity will cause greater impact forces on the paintballs and will effectively reduce the ability of the level 10 bolt to do its job. If that is the case, go to the next longer bolt spring, and do it again.

garbageman705
02-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks, I currently have it working pretty good, I have the longest bolt spring the carrier with one groove and 3 shims. It works pretty good but it will stick for a second sometimes if it encounters a ball.

athomas
02-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks, I currently have it working pretty good, I have the longest bolt spring the carrier with one groove and 3 shims. It works pretty good but it will stick for a second sometimes if it encounters a ball.You may be experiencing a tiny bit of bolt stick. Try the next larger carrier using the same white carrier oring. Remove the shims when testing carrier sizes to make sure you don't get any shim induced leaking that can be mistaken as a carrier leak and cause you to use a carrier that is too tight.

secretweaponevan
02-19-2008, 09:18 PM
You may be experiencing a tiny bit of bolt stick. Try the next larger carrier using the same white carrier oring. Remove the shims when testing carrier sizes to make sure you don't get any shim induced leaking that can be mistaken as a carrier leak and cause you to use a carrier that is too tight.

Yup, you want the longest carrier that doesn't leak, not the smallest one that allows the marker to fire. Too small of a carrier might be providing excess friction causing the little bit of bolt stick you seem to be experiencing.

Stayhuge
02-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Ok, I think I get it, but I am a little confused about a few things. One, The less markings on the carrier, the smaller it is? And it goes no markings, then dots, then ring, then dot and ring, then 2 rings, then dots and 2 rings and so on? Also, I took the spring out of my gun, and I noticed that it is quite shorter than the other two springs that I have. I also noticed that the other two springs are the same length. I also noticed that one of my extra springs is red and the other is grey. Is one weaker than the other? Which spring should I use so that the gun doesn't chop? Everything was working well in my gun, but then the last time that I played it chopped some paint. So I took appart the level 10 for the first time since I bought the gun 8 months ago, and reassembled it. I didn't change anything, but now it leaks down the barrel a little bit. I want to fix all of this. Right now I have the carrier in that has only dots on it, and the shiny spring that was in there already, which appears to be smaller than the other two, like I mentioned before. I was going to try the few steps that secretweapon mentioned above. Also, is it ok to use regular paintball gun oil in the automag, or should I only use the golden lkube stuff from AGD? Just want to make sure. Thanks guys.
Dan

secretweaponevan
02-20-2008, 07:40 PM
A dot is a "half"
A line is a "whole"

1 dot = .5
1 line = 1
1 line & 1 dot = 1.5
2 lines = 2, etc.

Autolube is the best for your lvl 10, but any non-petroleum-based lube should work.

Remember, the springs are for the final tuning once you have the field velocity set for the gun.

I didn't change anything, but now it leaks down the barrel a little bit.

Feed her some oil into the ASA and see if that helps, if not, you may have to go down a half carrier size.