PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be a mag owner... but first ???

In My Sights
02-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Hello all, I am going to be picking up my first mag this weekend (with luck). I am looking at a used minimag with an eclipse kit and I have a couple of questions before I buy:

It is a local sale so I will get to try it out before I buy it; so aside from obvious leaks, what should I look out for?

How do I tell what valve it has if there are no markings?
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k132/imageworks2/MiniMagValve-Closeup.jpg

The seller claims to know nothing of mags and has only shot this one a couple of times in the past 4 years. He says that he bought it from a shop that serviced mags. But he can say anything about its past, right.

Thanks for any help that you can provide, IMS

guseppe16
02-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Hey, a familiar face. Welcome to the Automag community!

That is a Minimag (basically a Classic) valve with an aftermarket regulator (milled back half). Depending on its previous care, most likely you will only have to change out some o-rings and the reg seat seal, oil her up, and then start putting paint downrange.

I love my Classic. It is the most consistent marker I have. +/- 2 fps is so nice.

In My Sights
02-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Hey, a familiar face. Welcome to the Automag community!

That is a Minimag (basically a Classic) valve with an aftermarket regulator (milled back half). Depending on its previous care, most likely you will only have to change out some o-rings and the reg seat seal, oil her up, and then start putting paint downrange.

I love my Classic. It is the most consistent marker I have. +/- 2 fps is so nice.

Thank for the info and warm welcome.

The seller says that he has the stock regulator that will be included. And he claims to keep the mag cleaned and oiled even though he does not use it. So we will see...

guseppe16
02-20-2008, 09:53 AM
I would just put the stock regulator back onto the valve. That milled one doesn't really add any performance gains, and having the matching reg half just looks better, in my opinion.

Things to look for when it gets there:
> Worn regulator seat seal - if there is a lot of deep grooving on the face of the seal, this will really affect velocity consistency.
> (Obviously) Any leaks - most are very easy to fix with a new o-ring at the affected spot.

In My Sights
02-20-2008, 10:00 AM
It is a local sale so luckily I will be able to air it up before I hand over the cash... Bonus!

mobsterboy
02-22-2008, 04:54 PM
looks like a very clean gun. Nice look to the anno from what i can see. Got yourself a pearl there. congrats.